Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Okay; I seemed to get darker the day after with the Mystic Tan. However, I now see very uneven areas on the back of my leg. I look like Michael Jackson during his "impetego" stage

I ordered the Super Braun and will give that a whirl. The problem I see with the Mystic Tan is that it goes on invisible, so you can't see where you might be uneven until it's pretty much too late. I don't want to *have* to do touch-ups with other stuff; I may as well just check out the other stuff.

2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

My partner uses Banaba Boat's Deep Dark Blend Sunless Tanning Creme. She always looks good for comps and it's much cheaper than Mystic Tan (which she doesn't think is worth the money) and other cremes. Might want to check it out.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Hey Mamboqueen, yeah you definatley will see the tan the next day, not the day you get sprayed.

I have never seen any uneveness on myself, but maybe if it were on the back of me legs I just can't see it. Anyway I wear fishnets, so everything gets even out in the end...

Laura it is definately worth trying it for one comp. If you don't like it, then no harm or foul, but you would be tan for the one comp. I would prefer also just to be natural but that just isn't an option sometimes.

4. Sabor

Sabor New Member

get sprayed!? .. doesn't sound too friendly now does it? :lol:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Silly! :lol:

6. Larinda McRaven

always Silly Sabor!

7. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Sabor:

I hadn't laughed tonight while reading through these threads. Then ... pow ... I read your "get sprayed" comment and totally lost it!

Thank you!

8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

LOL.. u r most welcome amigo..

:idea: new phrase on my t-shirt:

'Spray me Silly!' :p

9. mamboqueen

Sania,

I am experimenting with Super Braun this weekend. I put 2 applications on my face with the little pads they give you last night. Looks pretty good today, although for competition, I might do 3 like you. Today, I applied it to my body. Unfortunately, after two weeks, my mystic tan is still a little visible, mostly around the back of one leg and ankle. Ick.

My question is (and it's a dumb one, so feel free to burst out laughing at my expense!).....are there non or low-porous sponges? (okay, stop laughing now). I wouldn't enjoy losing a lot of expensive product in a sponge. I don't think the little pads are going to cut it for the entire body.

10. Sania

Sania Active Member

mamboqueen,

SuperBraun sells an applicator sponge which is really good because it has a more solid foam back that doesn't absorb any product, so you don't get it on your palms and finger tips. It usually costs about $5. It doesn't hold a huge amount of product, so there's not a lot of waste, plus you can 'pat out' the last little bit as you are evening up the application. The product goes on a lot faster using the sponge than using those tiny little pads, and it makes it a lot easier to reach your back, etc!

You can probably exfoliate off your mystic tan using a washcloth and bath gel...

good luck!

Sania

11. Laura

Laura New Member

Oh damn, I have to start tanning too...the dress I haven't made yet is going to be black with black lace, and if I don't tan I'll look like a blonde zaftig Morticia Addams. Thanks for reminding me by reviving this thread!!

12. mamboqueen

Thanks Sania! I'll try to find the sponge. Or something like it. I'll definitely have to put some sort of blocking lotion on my feet. I look like my sister-in-law who is from Trinidad an about as dark as they get. Just my feet, though! The rest of me is holding up pretty well with the stuff.

Laura - I LMAO at your Morticia Adams comment. Let us know how the tanning works with you. I think anything in moderation will work well, especially in smooth as opposed to latin.

13. Larinda McRaven

Hey sorry the Mystic tan did not go too well for you. I guess everyone's skin responds very differently.

As for the applicator sponges you can also go to any home improvement store or even a craft store and get the applicator sponge there. It would be with the paint brushes. It looks just like a paint brush except for the dark gray sponge instaed of bristles.

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

'To get sprayed or to get paint brushed?' .. that is the question [​IMG]

15. mamboqueen

I think it all depends on *who* is doing the spraying/painting :D

Thanks for the tips on the brushes. I go to a craft store fairly regularly and will see if they have one. You know, if I could find one of those sponge thingies that has a tube that you fill with liquid soap, that might be another option. I used to have one. Not sure where I got it though. Maybe Linens 'N Things or something. That might actually be a good applicator!

As for the Mystic Tan, I think my greediness in going for a Level 3 (which is really too much for my skin tone) probably wasn't the brightest thing to do, but kind of what is needed for the competition. The level 2 looked pretty good for "everyday use", not that I can afford to keep this up on a regular basis.

16. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I have a comp this Saturday, and I just got back from Mystic tanning about an hour ago. I asked for the darkest possible (level 3 I think). I can see that my face and my legs are getting tanned, but I don't see anything in my back. and since I am competing in standard, I don't really care about my legs (they are covered, anywayz for the most part), and I really need my back to tan. Should I get another Mystic Tanning tomorrow?

17. mamboqueen

Hi there! Funny...I got a Level 2 today! Level 3 is way too much for my complexion. You are darker than I am, though, ... but I don't think I'd go in for another Level 3. Your face will get darker than everything else (at least that's what I've noticed on me). Also, it takes several hours for it to really look its darkest. Can you get a bottle of something at the drugstore and have someone apply it to just your back?? Or, you could try to prevent your face from getting really dark by putting some of the blocking lotion on your face, but I don't think I'd be inclined to get it done twice in a row myself.

Good luck - and break a leg!

18. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Maybe I will put somthing else on tonight, but I am just a bit lazy, and my mom is really bad at puting sunless lotion......The one time she did it....it took almost a whole night since she wasn't able to put it one evenly......

I am actually quite pile naturally, thought. Although I am not white, well I am Asian, I use the fairest shade of Estee Lauder powder, and foundation. I don't tan in sun, I just burn. Maybe my level 3 will become darker tonight? hopefully......

My face is quite dark already though, just not my body......I don't know why, I thought Mystic sprayed the solution all over?

19. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Oh, one more thing....I have done airbrush, and sunless lotion (Netrogena, Loreal, Pro Tan, and Matas). But I have never gotten tan enough according to my standard......maybe it's just my skin. Before moving to the states, everyone thought I am so lucky because I don't tan, and Asians don't like to tan, they all want to be pile. My teacher did warm me not to get too tanned though.

I like airbrush the best! I wasn't able to make an appointment today, and that's why I tried Mystic.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Dang it...this thread just reminded me that I'm competing in about 22 hours and I haven't even started tanning yet. Ooops. I'm going cheap this time around: Banana Boat spray-on, applied every two hours. I can probably get three applications in before bedtime.