Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Mamboqueen, the niacin flush is red, it's not going to make you tan. I really don't understand why Pro Tan or whoever it was puts it in their products.

That scrub/bronzer/facial thing sounds fabulous. I'm taking my mom on a cruise later this month, and I know the spa on the ship offers it. Maybe I'll give it a try. That way I can come back from the Caribbean with a tan without ever having to stop wearing sunblock :)

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

A cruise! Lucky girl :) What islands?? (sorry to digress...I just *love* cruises). I should have thought of that before my mother had the neck surgery from HE**. She's in no shape now, but it would be fun. Then again, I'd have to behave. :wink:

3. Laura

Laura New Member

We're leaving from Tampa and stopping in Ocho Rios, Aruba, Curacao, and ending in San Juan. We went on a different one last year and had such a good time we're going to try to do one every year now.

4. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Because they advertise the product as both Tan Accelerator and Fat Burner. Niacin helps you burn fat.......

5. Laura

Laura New Member

I still think the combination of the two is a bit...odd...

"It's a tan accellerator!" / "It's a fat burner!"

"It's a dessert topping!" / "It's a floor wax!"

:)

6. redhead

redhead New Member

Is it safe though?

7. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Maybe because women like to tan and lose weight?? :lol:
    makes it easier to sell?
    no clue......

8. swan

swan Member

So my new dress sponsor is prohibiting me to tan (might ruin the gown). I actually never bothered to tan. But I'm thinking about it...Does the Misty Tan 'run' & stick to the gown?

Advice please...

Thank goodness, I've got until June to worry about this (my first comp w/ the new partner :))

9. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I have used protan, matas, and other brands of self tanner. I showered everytime in the morning before the competition, and I generally still get some tanner stick on my dress.

I did Mystic tanning in a tanning salon at my last comp. I showered the morning before the competition. There wasn't any tanner in the dress except in the elbow area, but it was minimal. I am assuming that if I were to wear short sleeves or no sleeve instead of long sleeves, I would have been fine with no tanner on my dress.

10. swan

swan Member

Thanks! I shall try that! All depends on what kind of design this sponsor comes up with, I may be so covered up that I don't have to worry about getting any tan...Can always 'tan' my face using a strong bronzer.

11. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I am naturally really pale and white. I usually just burn under the sun in the summer, and then my skin will just "come off" and I will become pale again...ususally, I don't tan under the sun....

I have done UV tanning bed six times now (in a 2 week period). I burned twice because I tanned longer than suggested. I applied the after-sum smoothing spray from Body Shops the second time I got burn, and I recovered in two days (the first time, I just applied lotion, and it took 4 days for me to recover!). Anywaz, I am actually dark now! Woohoo! My teacher was dancing with me the other day during our lesson, and he just can't stop say "wow, you are tan!" This really works!

Oh, I guess, for normal people, you don't even need 6 visits to see result. For me, since I burn so easily, I was only able to tan 5 min at a time when I first started. Even now, I am still only able to tan 10 min. The other day I did 12 min, I got sun burn again.....

12. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I wouldn't feel happy using a sunbed. The link between UV light and skin aging and cancer is well known. It's bottle tan all the way for me!

13. Sabor

Sabor New Member

every body can use a tan actually .. not just competitors..

i feel for those who are pale and get burned when going for a tan.. sorry for that.. but i'm sure there are ways around it..

'brown is the way to go.. unless u are alreadylucky like that'' :wink:

14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily say 'brown is the way to go'; it depends on your natural sKin tone. It looks unnatural on some people. I think a little healthy tan looks nice on everyone, but I have one friend who looks 10 years older than she is because she is so excessive about it. When you start to hit your 40's, the sun really starts to show it's damage. My friend is headed toward that leather pocketbook look. I have another good friend who is a sun worshipper, but not quite as bad, and has had to get pre-cancerous cells removed from her upper lip. She is more cautious now, but heck, I hear 'pre-cancer' and I'm probably out of the sun completely.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Same here!

16. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

My skin is very pale, but I don't want to use all of that fake stuff. I think I'll try to get tan the old-fashioned way: sun bathing. I'm kind of paranoid about getting skin cancer, though. I haven't had a tan in about 2 years; I used to try to avoid the sun at all costs. But I guess if I wear a little sun block and lay out when the UV rays aren't so strong (before 10am and after 4pm) I'll be OK.

A few weeks ago, my instructor told me that my skin looks like the color of cheese. My mom told me that last summer, too (except she said that I looked like Feta cheese). :roll: I have a competition coming up in less than 2 months. If I stay out in the sun for a few hours a week til then, would that be OK? I really don't want to deal with sun-damaged skin when I get older. :?

17. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

You can try makeup too. It can be messy, but it can look just as good or better than a fake tan from a bottle. And there is no risk of damaging your skin. ;)

18. spatten

spatten New Member

Interestingly enough - if you travel to other parts of the world brown or tan is very commonplace. It is fair skin that is prized.

19. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Brown is beautiful - and for me personally, black is even better!

But, with experience as an European from living under the harsh African sun, to damage your skin in the attempt to get a tan... definitely not worth it!

As for the topic - if you need a tan to compete, something horrible is wrong with the judging system! Colour or race or gender should have no influence when you compete. All should be fair in love, war and competition!

20. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I think I heard something about UV tanning and skin cancer before. but the recent study said that they are not really linked together (A lady told from the studio who got skin cancer several times told me so.) She said that everytime she went to the hospital to get the skin cancer removed, all the people with skin cancer look the same - blue eyes, and blone hair. This makes me less worried! :D I guess UV and cancer can only be linked together if you do it excessively.......if it's not excesssive, I still think it's health. :D especially since I don't tan naturally. Going to tanning beds just help my skin build up the resistance, which is not a bad thing.. :D