Contemporary foxtrot music?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wooh, Jan 15, 2009.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Any good contemporary foxtrot music?

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Define "contemporary."

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

How about "Me and Mr. Jones" by Amy Winehouse.
    Definitely modern lyrics! :)
    Jonathan and Hazel used this on 2008 World Super Stars.

4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

"Fever" by Beyonce. Old lyrics but definitely new take.

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Pretty much anything Michael Buble (again, old songs, but re-done).

6. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" as covered by Paul Anka. Heck, most of his Rock Swings and Modern Songs My Way CDs will work for fox.

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Paul Anka's CD, "Classic Songs, My Way" includes some foxtrot settings of fairly contemporary songs, including

• Foreigner's "Waiting for a Girl Like You"
    • Bryan Adams' "Heaven"
    • Billy Joel's "I go to Extremes"
    • Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis"
    • Bob Seger's "Against the Wind"
    On The Puppini Sisters' CD, "Betcha Bottom Dollar" there's a fairly cool foxtrot version of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive."

8. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Anything Secret Garden that's in 4-count.

9. Laura

Laura New Member

Daft Punkt's "One More Time"

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

what about that one...um geez..."it's my life...I'm gonna live while I'm alive"...can't remember who sang it originally but it got converted into a FT...and I beleive it was origianlly a rock song...am sure someone out there will rescue me on that...

11. Laura

Laura New Member

By the way, you can Foxtrot to anything with a 4/4 beat that's the right speed. A friend of mine and I Foxtrot to hip hop tracks from time to time.

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Please tell me they didn't foxtrot a Bon Jovi song....

13. BM

BM New Member

Fasc, you're thinking of Paul Anka's cover of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life." :)

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes...thanks

15. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I've heard it said that Foxtrot should really be danced as 2/4. Some syllabus figures put you "in the middle of the measure".

16. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I get the point, but would counter that it's important to be aware that you've ended up in the middle of the measure. Musically speaking switching to 2/4 doesn't mean you get to ignore the unit equivalent to the 4/4 measure (which is now a pair of measures), but practically speaking the temptation to do so might increase.

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'm with Laura. As long as song was in 4 and I had a clear floor, danced FT to some strange pieces. :)

18. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

contemporary and blues foxtrots

I have fun dancing Foxtrot to some of my WCS blues and contemporary numbers. I just published an iMix with a few of them. Tempos may not be correct, but I take them into Audacity and adjust them before I burn to CD or add to my iPod.

Here's the imix: "Ballroom Foxtrots - Pushing the Edge of the Envelope." http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=302922979

19. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

I think it's fun to dance to different types of music, but traditionalists (my teacher included) may cringe at the thought, particularly with something like hip hop. It's not the tempo they don't like. They'll tell you it doesn't fit the character of the dance.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Heh. I think it's really really fun to dance Foxtrot to techno, hip-hop, and so on. If it's a piece of music I love it transports me and my dancing becomes more satisfying and musical.