Cost of Running a Dance Studio

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not just humidity, but also weight loadings can warp boards. These things aren't homogeneous, so there's some variation in density and strength. Repeated loadings can affect individual pieces differently, adding to the "cliff" effect in non-grooved boards.
  2. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Help! I need a dance floor and naturally want to have as lovely and comfortable a floor as possible without spending a ton of money :rolleyes:

What is the best way to do that? I have cement floors I believe. Would pergo over some type of foam layer for flexibility be good? I know nothing about sprung floors except that they are heaven to dance on!

Any help is very appreciated!!
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

This has come up from time to time on DF but I found it difficult to search for. Here is one thread for a small floor:
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13147&highlight=dance floor construction]

another on floating floors:
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13686&highlight=dance floor construction

Another on making your own floor:
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthr...nstruction&highlight=dance floor construction
    Hope that helps.
  4. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Thank you elisedance :D Unfortunately no real info in those threads applicable to my situation.

Anyone? Floor advice? Recommendations?
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Pergo, over foam, on a concrete floor is yucky. Actually pergo is yucky no matter what. Better to get something quality that will stand up to repeated use from dancers.

Pergo is meant for casual home use, to look pretty, and for one or two people to walk around on in your socks... not dance traffic. I have seen pergo used in a studio and it was a complete waste. The warping, chipping, seperating.... within one year it was trashed.
  6. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Right that's been my experience as well, I just didn't know if it had been done badly or if it was all that way. What would you recommend over concrete Larinda?
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Chris, Joe and tt, thanks for the hints on the dance floor. I've been doing a lot of research on the internet trying to get some sort of an estimate (including asking for an estimate from a dance equipment/flooring company). It's very expensive for a sprung maple floor (installed - I'm not handy, at all)! Will have to try a quote from Dancevision...thanks for the lead.

By the way, is there any reason why maple seems to be the wood of choice for ballroom floors? I have seen birch as an option...
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How much did the birch cost in relation to the maple?
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's specifically Pergo, but one local studio that's been around for a long time has an engineered-wood floor (which is what Pergo is). Aside from the places where the roof leaked and it warped, it's fine. What happens is that the surface veneer layer gets wet and warps, but the substrate doesn't, because it's made of a different material, and the surface layer starts to delaminate and gets uneven.
  10. danceislove

danceislove New Member

My understanding is that pergo and engineered-wood are actually different. Pergo is basically a picture of wood while engineered wood is a thinner sheet of actual hard wood that is then mounted onto a plywood type wood to make a slat. So its like combining hard wood and pergo. At least that is what I have found.
  11. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Interesting. The accountant part of my brain says ICs have a really tough row to hoe with self-employment taxes and insurance then.

My indy instructor just opened a new studio - brand new sprung maple floor, etc. I do hope it works because I'd hate to go somewhere else if he (God-forbid) folds.
  12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Are studios required to provide insurance though? I thought a business has to employ a certain number of people before it is required to provide this type of benefits.
  13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Actually I meant it must be hard for contractors to survive because they have to pay quarterly self-employment tax and they have to buy their own insurance. They can write off part of floor rental as a business expense, but still...
  14. Cal

Cal Active Member

Also, instructors need to check their State laws - some states require that a dance instructor provide a bond to the State if the instructor receives more than $x in prepayment of dance instruction/services. And in some states, those kind of statutes don't necessarily apply just to "studios" - they apply to ANY PERSON who provides dance instruction/services.
  15. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Around here people who take lessons with IC, usually write 2 checks - one for the teacher and one for the studio.
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I've always paid my tuition fee ATL - at the lesson. Thats after the lesson - getting stung with a 'contract'. It may be a bit more expensive in the long run but I have the security in knowing I can go to a different coach at any time.
  17. Cal

Cal Active Member

Likewise, I never pay an indy instructor or coach before the lesson - always after.

However, there are some instructors who will hold a series of group classes - say, an 8-week series of group classes in waltz - and will ask for prior payment of say, $100 per person, to enter the class. In some States, that could trigger the requirement of a bond.

Also, some States require a WRITTEN contract for ANY dance lesson/service provided by an instructor. Technically, that means a written contract, whether it's for one lesson or one hundred.

Practical? Maybe not.
    Observed? Usually not.
    Enforceable? Most likely not worth the time and money to file a suit to find out - but I don't want to be part of the test case.
  18. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

All the group classes I've attended have been pay-as-you-go. No studio around here offers a contract per se.

My indy offers 4 private lessons for $220 if you pay the $220 upfront, otherwise it's $65 per single lesson. No contract but it's not a lot of $$$ to risk if I decide to bail.

They also offered a no-contract Christmas deal where you could get 3 lessons for $120. I thought that was a really good deal so I grabbed it.
  19. Cal

Cal Active Member

Um. . . . your instructors might want to check into their state laws. . . .
  20. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Workmans comp is often necessary in some areas--- and also the business structure-- Sub chapter S -- partnership--propriortorship etc will determine the tax structure --- also the volume of the business ( gross ) and the number of contractors ( been thru this many times -- very complex )