costume tape?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by kathyt cupcake, Jan 1, 2008.

1. happy new year everyone.

Does anyone have any recommendations for doublesided costume tape? One of the costumes I wear tends to slide a little and show the top of my fishnets or worse, my butt.

(mm, leftover chocolate gingerbread for breakfast)
  2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Advice from past threads:

Larinda Mcraven: I am not sure what taupe tape is...but I use toupee tape and pretty much keep several roles of it handy at all times............
    Great for keeping shirts in place, costumes for crawling up or drooping, socks up, and of course keeping toupees in place! :grin:

CC: - Top Stick - double sided tape strips to attach clothing to skin when necessary. :wink:
  3. yanka

yanka New Member

I have something similar - the "box" is called matchsticks and I carry it with me at all times. I've used it for traditional clothing-skin attaching, but also for various quick fixes (clothing to clothing, etc).

The website on the back is listed as doublesticktricks.com - haven't looked at it, but it may tell you where to get them.
  4. BM

BM New Member

I have a friend who uses Victoria's Secret double-sided tape for her costume. I've also used it for a strapless evening gown.
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

For me it depends how much hold is needed. Bunheads (ballet product manufacturer) sells a double sided tape that holds fine for day to day and medium hold.

For, it can't move an inch hold, I (like Larinda) use toupee tape. The brand I use is SuperTape and it comes in rolls and pre-cut pieces. I prefer the pre-cuts myself. The stuff sticks like there is no tomorrow.
  6. latingal

p.s. chocolate gingerbread for breakfast and you didn't bring any to share???
  7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Seems like removal would be painful!
  8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Possibly, plus according to the thread I stole quote from it'll remove not only skin, but protan. :)

And just to poke fun, in "PacionSpeak", it's spelled taupe tape, which made for some fun years back in original thread. :D
  9. latingal

actually not so bad. there's also this citrus based remover that you can buy if you don't want to brute force the stuff off, haven't tried it myself yet.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The toupee tape does remove protan, but I can't think that is removes skin. It never hurt coming off, but it does leave funny white patches in bizarre places when you wear a dress that is cut differently.

However if you need it to stick and you need the costume to stay, it is a great inexpensive solution.
  11. latingal

And just a by the way...even though the op specifically mentioned double stick tape, just thought I'd add, I've tried other solutions like body glue....didn't work. Once you start to sweat, it's over.

So far haven't had a problem with the toupee tape and sweat.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Same experience here with the glue and sweating.
  13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I suspect removal of toupee tape might be easier on the girls than the guys - ripOUCH. Not that I can think of much use for it in a tail suit...
  14. FatBaldGuy60

FatBaldGuy60 New Member

Yeah. Ouch. I have had EKG's and similar stuff done. I am not "smooth", so it can be interesting getting those adhesive leads off.

FBG
  15. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I have used double sided tape but has not been as efficient/ removes some color ..never tried the toupee.
    Instead I bought Tac spray and I used it on my skin... Works well to keep things in place and can be easily used in larger areas.
  16. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Where can I buy taupee tape? What is protan? Thanks
  17. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I have this cheap Latin Shirt whose collar is supposed to stand stiff but it keeps on collapsing to its base like cooked spaghetti. Is there any trick that prevents collar from collapsing? Any good tape for this purpose?
  18. BM

BM New Member

Pro Tan: the white dancer's final attempt. ;) It's an instant tanner that comes in a spray bottle. After applying it, it's usually safe to dress in cheap, loose clothing within a half hour or so. I think after five hours, it gets you to your darkest colour. After that you're supposed to wash the excess colour off, then re-apply for even darker colour. I'll resort to it a day or two before a competition if I'm not dark enough, but never the day of, since it washes off fairly easily.

Oh, and I've heard on the forums that it can stain white costumes something terrible.
  19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

You can buy toupee tape at wig stores.
  20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Thanks. I never thought about going to a wig store for dance supply.