costume tape?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by kathyt cupcake, Jan 1, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

You can also buy it online. I find that to be easiest for me.
  2. thanks for the suggestions- I definitely have a lot of wig stores downtown so I'll probably stop by one and pick up some tape to test. Do you just peel it off your skin or do you use anything to help loosen? I'm not worried about the protan issue.

the gingerbread was from this recipe:
    www. foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15981,00.html
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Last time I used the tape I just peeled it off, but I did buy some of the citrus based remover to try.

and how was that gingerbread recipe?
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Sallys Beauty Supply. Always next to Payless Shoe Store in a strip mall.

I buy it by the roll. There are two types, clear and opaque. The clear is much gentler, still strong, but less aggressive. The opaque variey is quite gummy and often leaves bits of adhesive behind on me.
  5. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need collar stays. They look like little plastic popsicle sticks and you put them inside the underside of the collar. A lot of mens' dress shirts have little slits in the underside of the collar for this purpose. You could also use the stuff Elvis (and others) used in his collars, I think it's called sizing but a trip to a fabric store could give you the best answer. Or there are plenty of peeps on this forum that could give the right answer.

Seriously, ever really looked at the collars on his costumes? I bet they're still standing up straight.
  6. My friend recommends lots of starch and an iron. (YMMV, I have no idea.)
  7. Larinda McRaven

Iron-on Interfacing.
  8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Pardon the hijack.
    Um, there's no chocolate in this recipe. You distinctly said you ate chocoalte gingerbread! :p
  9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The collar is stoned.
  10. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am not sure what Iron-on Interfacing is, but I gusess it is a stiff material that I can iron on the collar, or attach the collar with taupee tape. I am going to buy it at a fabric store. Thanks, Larindda

PS. Does anyone know what buckaram is? Where is Laura when I need her?
  11. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

Iron-on interfacing is, indeed, a stiff material that you can iron onto a fabric to give it body. Most are made of non-woven materials and are made to be sandwiched between two layers of fabric. They can be fairly abrasive against skin if exposed. To avoid any potential problem, I'd apply it to the outside of the neckband and underside of the collar as two separate pieces.

I assume your shirt is black, so use black interlining if you can find it. If not, check to make sure you've cut it small enough so that you can't see it when you're wearing the shirt before you iron it on. ;)

Buckram is a loosely woven fabric that is siffened by starch or water based glue. It is used as the base fabric for many kinds of stiff garments - such as hats and belts, as well as the stiffener for curtain headings and such. It is available as both yard goods and tapes. Unlike non-woven stiffeners it can be shaped by dampening or steaming. Unlike most non-woven stiffeners, it will generally get limp if it gets damp - read "perspiration".
  12. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Thanks! Great, I'll take a look at Interface and Buckram at a fabric store. What a great DF website is.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Interfacing isn't necessarily very stiff. It can actuallly be very floppy.
  14. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

True. However, most of the iron-on kind is designed to give body to a garment and is stiff-ish.
  15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I bought some iron-on interfaces at a fabric store. They come in various thickness and stiffness. One of them was stiff enough to keep the collar of my shirt stand at all time. The big problem I face now is that I need to slit the collar surgically, insert the interface, and sew up the slit without leaving visible scar. Originally, I was thinking about attaching the interface to the collar with a strong double-sided tape. I also took a look at buckrams, and I abadoned them since they were too flexible.
  16. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Could you just sew, or use fabric glue, to attach the interfacing to the side of the collar that doesn't show?
  17. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Like someone said, this collar looks like Elvis's collar. It stands (not lay-down) and both sides of this collar are visible. It need to be inserted into the collar through a long slit , seal the slit, and place the collar under hot under iron. To a sewing expert this process sounded like a piece of cake, but, to me, it is going to be as hard as performing an open heart surgery.
  18. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

You could take it to a seamstress. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much.
  19. Larinda McRaven

Are you going to MAC, contracheck? Is so I can do it while I am there.
  20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Oh, thanks a million for your offer, but I do not plan to be at MAC. I'll figure out a way in this case. When I have similar problem next time, I'll discuss your possible help. Thanks again.