Crush on Instructor...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by summer280, Oct 1, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fair enough...but conversations and observations are all that any of us has...and they have been working perfectly well for many of us for the entirety of our lives....and until a divinity pill comes out, all we have is our best assessment of our own accuracy
    Purr likes this.
  2. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Active Member

So, the follow-on question is whether knowing someone else well really buys
    one any additional brownie points with that person (in the long run). As already
    pointed out, people filter perceptions by what they LIKE to believe/see/feel,
    so whether a compliment (or criticsim) comes from someone who truly knew
    the perceiver well or not may not matter since the perceiver is already predisposed
    to believe what he/she wants to believe. IOW, does flattery get you everywhere,
    and if it does, does the flatterer do better if he/she knows the flatteree better?

I used to think getting to know someone well was an advantage, or even
    prerequisite, to getting on that someone's good side (partially because
    that's what we've all been told to believe). But personal experience and
    observation of others is telling me that all this "understanding" stuff doesn't
    really matter (except in knowing how to traverse the other person's
    "minefield" of issues, in the short and unsustainable run). We tend to
    like (or dislike) people using pretty superficial criteria.
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Maybe, or maybe not. However, recognizing patterns of behavior may make it easier to be around someone. The longer you know someone, hopefully, the better the profile you build up (fraught with errors it may be).
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

This kind of thing happened to me once, not at a dance event, but through work. The hotel I checked into gave me a key to a room. Once I opened the door to the room, I saw luggage, clothes, and other things, so I knew the room was occupied. I went back to the front desk, and they gave me a key to another, unoccupied, room. Mistakes happen.
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Happened to me too. Arrived late at night, and was given a key to an occupied room with people sleeping in it. At least I *think* they were sleeping. Didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Hotel upgraded me to a suite for my emotional trauma, which was pretty useless since I was traveling alone :rolleyes:
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Ooh, Divinity, but in pill form, like, just eat a handful of divinity wherever you are, without the melty sticky mess...
  7. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

That's it! I'm deadbolting my door from now on whenever I stay at a place that issues key cards.
  8. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

Happened to me too.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to say the usefulness of this thread has run its course.... perhaps we could let it die a quiet unnoticed death, and simply add it to the list of other crush threads, until the next time someone wanders in here asking for advice/approval.