Current shoes causing pain, how do I find a new pair?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by leee, Nov 3, 2010.

1. harp34552

harp34552 Member

Whoops, sorry for the off-point advice earlier; but I second waltzgirl's thoughts.

I wear a jazz shoe/dance sneaker combo - the Bloch Amalgam 570 (easily google-able). It's a unisex shoe, and it comes in cool colors as well as black. It is so ridiculously comfortable and supportive that I have taken to wearing it all the time as a street shoe, and am going to get another clean pair to wear on dance floors. The only caution I should give is that it has a sticky heel, so it's not ideal for practicing standard or smooth. Even so.

No lie. I keep mine in the freezer so they are always cold and feel amazing against sore feet, it is pretty much the greatest thing ever.
  2. leee

leee Active Member

You mean you count to 12 on the way up, count to 12 holding, then 12 down? And do you support yourself, or are you balancing on the one leg too? I actually found an ebay auction for a shoe by Organmaster starting at $15 (plus $10 S&H)... I haven't been able to find anything about the maker, but for that price, and being a half-size bigger than what I have now, I might as well go for it, yes?
  3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I do them on standing on both feet. I started out with a 4 count and worked up. No support (though somehow standing next to a support, like the kitchen counter, without touching it helps me balance--psychologically, I suppose).
  4. leee

leee Active Member

Quick followup: how important do you think a shank is, as opposed to getting a better, larger size?
  5. LaWa

LaWa New Member

For me personally a full shank is an absolute must-have, because I can't dance standard without it yet.
    At the moment I wear a 2" smooth shoe for both standard and latin, so I sacrifice latin flexibility for standard stability.
    On the other hand, if the shoe is a bad fit, dancing anything at all is difficult.
    Both tie equal for me.
  6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I vote for better fit, if it's a choice between the two.

Regarding the ebay shoes, $25 is about what it would cost to have suede soles put on a pair of shoes. If I were you, and wasn't ready to invest in an expensive pair of dance shoes, I'd pick a comfortable, broken-in pair of shoes from my closet, have suede soles put on them, and devote them to dancing. Until you get to the point that your footwork gets more complex than "heel lead or toe lead," I don't think anything other than the suede soles is that important. (Maybe you are already beyond that point; if so, you're a quicker study than I was, and I don't mean to offend.)
  7. leee

leee Active Member

So I went through with the cheap $25 ebay shoes (mostly because I don't have a suitable dress pair that I'm willing to sacrifice to the dance floor) (and waltzgirl, no offense taken, I'm squarely at a beginner's level), and they just arrived, aaaand... they are apparently "concert shoes"? Can I dance in these? The soles are suede/felt, but feels a lot "thinner" than my Stephanie pair. The leather "body" of the shoe (not sure what it's called!) is pretty stiff, too. They seem to have a full (or nearly full) shank, though -- an unexpected, pleasant surprise. But yeah, can I dance in these?
  8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Sure, why not? As long as they're comfortable, of course. If the fit is good and the soles are suede, I'd think that's all you need. The thinner soles may help you feel the floor better, but if it means that your feet get tired because you have less cushioning, you could add some insoles or pads. I'd say to give them a try and see what your feet tell you.
  9. roxie333

roxie333 New Member

Leee - From what I know, the thin steel shank, if designed properly, is there to give your shoes a little bit of bounciness to your step. Those shoes, especially if they are comfortable and have good support sound like a great pair for dance practice and socials.
  10. leee

leee Active Member

bia and roxie333, you were right, the shoes are perfectly fine. My toe, however, is not -- putting too much pressure on it (e.g. doing a single-leg calf-raise) will cause a shooting pain up it, whether the shoes are too tight or not. *sigh* I am so tired of going to the doctor's.
  11. roxie333

roxie333 New Member

Lee, I was seriously into the salsa scene and would dance a *lot* of hours each week. So much dancing was very strenuous on a person, physically.

After consulting more experienced dancers as well as my instructor, I very recently tried dancing with a lot of padding. I bought two pairs of knee high fur lined boots. One pair has a 2.5" heel, the other a 3.25" heel. I wear two pairs of thick padded socks inside my boots along with thick nylons. With all that padding, I find dancing to be a *lot* more comfortable in heels. The fur lining and padded socks alleviates a lot of pressure and I almost feel like I am dancing on clouds. Perhaps you can give lots of padding a try as well.