Current Trend

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'm under an impression that ballroom is currently in a decline and specialties such as WCS, Salsa and AT are on the rise. Is this true in your area or different?
    Generalist, Dupont and chomsky like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...in my area, everything pertaining to art and culture is on the decline...that being said, types of dance which can be used in clubs are of far more interest...and in Chicago I would say that your observation is fairly accurate based upon my limited exposure
  3. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

They're fairly balanced in my area, and it has more to do with the types of people involved than the actual styles of dancing, between ballroom and WCS. There's no salsa/at/country (line doesn't count, everyone does it at all the bars) underground here, but likely only because it's not been made as aware to them as WCS has.
  4. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I do not represent Greeks but salsa AT and zumba are on the rise in my opinion. Ballroom is on the decline. It also has to do with age (or my age?). At parties I'm only dancing with people in their fifties or sixties because of the social I go to where there's more of ballroom than salsa. I know that at other venues there is so little of ballroom that I don't enjoy myself. Younger ages are there and I am sad about . But then again life is change and change is inevitable. What's in has to do with trends so you take it as it comes.
  5. Dupont

Dupont Member

This is true. But the decline is slow. And the WCS, Salsa, AT, while less elegant, still are partner dances.
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Edit- made as available to them. Huh. Love brain-glitch.
  7. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's not happening here. Although there is a pretty rapidly growing salsa community, it doesn't seem to be impacting ballroom attendance any. And we're getting a pretty good influx of younger people.
  9. Lui

Lui Active Member

From my observation the same trend exists here in Germany, but I lack any data to confirm it. More and more people care less about competition and more about the social side and the freedom of expression. Beside the “new” partner dances, also single dances like belly dance, line dance or street/hip hop dance are flourishing.

On the other side, the ballroom world has a rock-solid concept, is anchored in German tradition and is run by well-structured organizations with enough influence to launch TV-shows like “Let’s dance” or “Dancing with the stars”, therefore I believe they are well prepared for the future.

In the end in Germany, social dancing a whole has been much in decline after the generation of 68. Therefore, there is still plenty of potential for any kind of dance.
  10. Janson

Janson Active Member

I think there are less 'social ballroom dancers' than there used to be; the cohorts of older people at tea dances still survive - but really it's competition dancing that the younger people start to do because it's that much more exciting.
    I can't really call Zumba actual dancing, although it's very popular at the moment (although I think it's more of a phase) - although Salsa and similar seem to be continuing fairly strongly.
  11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

My observation is that br studios and schools cannot keep their clientele. People switch to salsa in their late 20s. Then there is a second drain at an age of 40+ towards tango. WCS is rather negligible in europe. On the other hand more and more dance schools (br-style) over here offer classes for hip hop and related dances. This branch is increasing. A lot of dance schools missed the zumba craze which now has a strong base in sports clubs and centers.

In europe almost all br dance schools teach international style. So the border towards the swing-salsa-tango world is much more marked compared to the us.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

In my area WCS has been given a boost and think AT has as well, not sure about Salsa. Lindy has declined. As far as Ballroom goes the monthly dance given by our local Usadance chapter is the only one of high quality IMO and attendance has been large over the last few months.
  13. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this assessment of our area. I'll add that we have a pretty good, active swing community as well, but it's not my perception that either of them are cannibalizing the ballroom community. Even on the competition side of things, the area's booming.

Also, if we have a local AT community, I'm unaware of it. The ballroom studios teach the dance, but even as a ballrom dancer, I know that's not really the same thing.
  14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty bad at frequenting socials so I might not be the best judge, but at least in the midwest it seems that the collegiate scene (the implicit feeder into the young adult scene) is lively and healthy as it's ever been. Even with the biggest teams not coming out in full force to every comp, most competitions still easily draw out 250-300 competitors once they've been established a year or two. Texas (my new area) doesn't seem quite as healthy in the collegiate scene, but I imagine it could get there in a decade or two (driving distance between major metro areas is probably a big limiting factor though, as is the more ready availability of outdoor activities for most of the school year). I've met enough people who fell in love with ballroom after being drawn in by Salsa or Lindy/Social Swing that I'm not too worried about the other styles cannibalizing ballroom's population (at least for competitions, social might be a different story).
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that there are occasional milognas in Birmingham, but apparently attendance is light.
  16. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

All partnered dancing is in decline in the Phoenix, Arizona metro area. Line dancing isn't that active either. I haven't been in the WCS scene long enough to know but the ones that have all tell me that there are far less active dancers than in the past. There are a few pockets or country dancing and/or salsa but most of these are not in any way true partner dances except for the fact they touch each other.

Without question ballroom dancing is a mostly over 50 crowd.

There are plenty of people dancing at clubs but it's all solo freestyle.
  17. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I would disagree that they are less elegant. I don't know if this is a part of it, but at least in WCS, the competitive scene and the social scene are one in the same, and to be honest, most people you see at parties don't compete, or don't compete often. While in the ballroom world, the competitive scene GENERALLY has a very different set of people then the social scene... This makes the arrogance more apparent in the ballroom world earlier on, which I'm sure turns a lot of people off from the scene, than WCS.
  18. Dupont

Dupont Member

Well, all dances cannot be equally elegant. Some must be less elegant. Which ones, then?

Oh yes, the arrogance you speak about sometimes reaches enormous heights. I have seen this happening when competition-oriented couples rush with their quickstep or waltz routines and suddenly on their way there is a standing beginner couple trying to figure out which foot to start with.

However, the atmosphere at salsa and WCS dances is worse than at ballroom dances, especially if one is a newcomer or beginner.
  19. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That isn't true: salsa is an umbrellar term, and when it comes to bolero-son it's always very elegant. Also AT is a bundle of dances and is there anything more elegant than tango de salon?
    stash likes this.
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I had tons of fun as a WCS newbie a few years ago. People tended to be very nice. It isn't until you start getting good, at least in my community, when people start getting snobbish in the local venues. Maybe it just tends to be location base. I usually only go to the big WCS events now because the arrogance is usually diluted out by the majority who just love dancing. Sure there's the old boys club of WCS, but they can easily be avoided, especially if you choose not to compete...