Current trends in amateur competition pricing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NielsenE, Mar 15, 2007.

1. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I believe 2008 Nationals will be much earlier in the year (maybe April?). Does anyone know for sure when/where 2008 Nationals will be?

2. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Well...I like the website.

So its $270 for a couple to dance one event at Nationals. That's alot. For comparison - Blackpool is about $576 for two events and admission to the ballroom for the week.

3. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

In the MAC thread, someone authoritatively speculated that Nationals will be held in April '08 in the NorthEast. Not sure he said where in the NE it'll be...

4. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

OOOOH that is a lot!!! Besides the fact that a majority of people will have to travel too...can't imagine that is going to do much to populate the lower levels especially :(

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

and even the higher levels are wondering if this is worth the price...
    they don't have much choice though..

now it is looking like NDCA is definitely friendlier to amateurs.

6. wyllo

wyllo New Member

USA Dance members can get a 3-day spectator pass for $30. But I can't seem to figure out if spectator tickets are included in the registration fee for competitors?

7. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I certainly hope so with prices like that!!! I would have never guessed that it was so expensive there!!! I can obviously empathize with comp organizers, esp in major cities where nearly every choice is expensive...but I would have thought one of the perks of having it there would be it would be cheaper!!!

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

What? We might need to pay a spectator fee on top of that????
    and hotel and flight

9. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I sent an email to the competition and asked if competitors will need to purchase spectator tickets for the sessions they aren't competing in. Will let you all know what the answer is.

10. Anna

Anna New Member

I guess they'd be fine in early February, conflicting with Tufts the week before Yale, or conflicting with Cornell in late September (which would kill Cornell though). I'm pretty sure we would go if they had it any of those times.

11. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

FWIW...at the Embassy Ball in September, a couple can do two events (U21 and IDSF) and the registration and admission to the ballroom for two nights will be $220...which isn't exactly cheap either. Maybe I should move this to the Whining Thread but somethings got to give....probably my credit rating.

12. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

AND this is why MIT is such a great deal.

13. Anna

Anna New Member

Yikes! And I'd like to know what, if any, college students are going to pay $100 for a competition...already NE regionals is pushing it...it sounds like this is so high that in the end they'll actually decrease their revenue.

Does anyone know why they had to raise the fees?

14. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Thanks! Did you also ask if competitors will need to purchase spectator tickets for the sessions they are competing in? :(

15. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Yes, asked both questions. I'm really hoping the answer to your question is "no"!

16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Is it just me, or was the same price structure in effect last year in San Jose, i.e. purchasing tickets to enter the ballroom for your session, per dance charges and a registration fee of over $100? Is this news?

17. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I remember San Jose was a lot cheaper than St Paul. I didn't break it down but I recorded $280 in registration and admission for 2005 and $130 for 2006...and that was at the youth rate for the couple.

18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

NYU would not want to kill Cornell... they go every year and I think they are pretty attached to that comp:)

also Yale is significantly closer to NY than Boston comps and NY teams typically go

BU or Tufts though are both to far and it probbaly woudlnt' be a problem if there is another comp in NY same weekend

most important thing is not to conflict with Princeton Stony Brook or somethign else in New York/NJ area

19. Anna

Anna New Member

Yeah, their comp would be fine if it conflicted with Cornell but there's no reason they would do that.

I don't know about Harvard, but definitely MIT has such a wide range that it almost kills Rutgers when they conflict. Other than that I don't think any Boston competition would be a problem.

20. Anna

Anna New Member

What's strange is that a saturated market ought to drive down prices, right?