Current trends in amateur competition pricing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NielsenE, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

No, because it splits the field in half for each respective conflicting comp and makes the comp more expensive for the organizers to run, necessitating higher prices...
  2. tunape

tunape New Member

there's also signalling... a higher price may signal a higher quality, and attract more competitors.
  3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

slightly true, but only slightly.. cause people know the quality of each comp from previous years...
  4. Anna

Anna New Member

I thought it might give a higher revenue to lower the price below the conflicting competition's and attract more competitors, rather than raising the prices so much that some people will decide to go to neither?
  5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

it is not staightforward economics 101 here.

if we have 1 comp every weekend, then competitors might choose the lowest price ones. so competitions still compete on price but not neccessarily cutting the field in 2...

if we have 2 comps on same weekend, it is a different story...

+ since teams cover fees for a lot of competitors, the straighforward economic forces do not work properly, more like a team decision "which competitions do we want to support" that is made before the fees are even announced.
  6. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Member

You will be surprised... even on campus facilities have silly rules about what can and cannot be brought in, used, paid for, etc :(
  7. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Member

April and rumor has it Baltimore...
  8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Holy s&%#! Now that is what I called a home comp:) I seriously hope that is the case!
  9. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Baltimore would be great. Only an hour away! It would be nice to have the comp come to us for a change. ;)
  10. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I heard rumors of Utah because they'd be able to provide a guaranteed spectator base, not sure how things are panning out though. I'd much rather have it in Baltimore.
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

Kat, Seattle isn't in California. It's in Washington, many hundreds of miles and two states to the north.

But Seattle is nice, and will definitely have a nice comp!
  12. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm about 99.9% sure that Seattle's will also count for both, since it's later in the year than San Jose.
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

Kitty, in my opinion you are making perfect sense. However, in the opinion of the people organizing those more expensive competitions you aren't making enough sense for it to matter to them. Crazy, isn't it!? I recall one argument about this last year, where one retort that came back was that the college students really do have money, because someone in that area saw a bunch of them arrive at a comp in a BMW!
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

Nationals has never been in Louisville before, so there is no prior year that they have raised their fees from. Yes, it's more expensive than San Jose was last year, but San Jose was run by a totally different organizing committee with different goals, a different price structure, etc. Comparing the two price-wise is, unfortunately, an apples-to-oranges venture. The local organizing committees set the ticket prices, not the National Steering Committee.
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

You are listing three fees here, and we had only two: you had to have a ticket to the ballroom for your sessions, and you had to pay $10 per event per couple to compete. So, if you were only doing one event that ran in one session (like, say, Championship Rhythm), you'd pay for a ticket for just that evening and then another $10 on top of that.

We offered a la carte single-session tickets, slightly discounted all-day tickets, and all-weekend passes that were further discounted from if you had bought three all-day tickets. We had prices for 18-and-under, college, and adults. That was a lot to manage, but we wanted to do it that way because it seemed the most fair to us.
  16. Alskling

Alskling Member

I heard 1st weekend in April in Philadelphia.
  17. Anna

Anna New Member

Wow, that would get a ton of college students...if the price were right...
  18. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I heard that Atlanta (the first regional of the year) was being replaced with Baltimore. Did not make much sense to me, replacing a southern state comp with Baltimore.
  19. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

You are so right, I know it's washingon.. grr.. I always think or anything west coast as californis. sorry.. :)
  20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

That is absolutely great to know