Current trends in amateur competition pricing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NielsenE, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Are you in a Southwest city? They fly to Louisville, and I've gotten some cheap flights.

ChaChaMama
  2. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Yes...I'm thinking Southwest is the way to go. Thanks
  3. wyllo

wyllo New Member

From the 2007 USA Dance Nationals organizers regarding spectator tickts:

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

just occured to me how ridiculous these prices are for junior competititors: even though registration is cheaper than for adults, they have to come with a parent who will have to pay for spectator tickets. on top of additional flight cost. So it is actually even more expensive.
  5. yanka

yanka New Member

[continued hijack]
    Laura - the NorCal website doesn't have any info about regionals up [yet?]. When do you think info might become available? We're trying to decide in the next week or so which regionals to do, and it would be nice to have an idea about pricing (reg fees/hotel) and possible schedule...
    Thanks.
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

I put ALL of that stuff online yesterday afternoon! I don't know why you aren't seeing it, perhaps your browser is aggressively cacheing web pages. Try either holding down the shift key while hitting reload, or just quit your browser and come back in.
  7. yanka

yanka New Member

Last I looked was yesterday morning, which would explain why I didn't see it. I didn't bother to look again since then, since I figured the chance they'd happen to go up in 24 hrs was pretty slim - thanks!
  8. yanka

yanka New Member

sorry - I still can't find the registration fee anywhere...
  9. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Whatever you do, don't say that to any of the natives when you get here. :)
  10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I won't :)
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

That's because we don't charge one. All you have to do is buy a ticket to the ballroom for you and your partner. The front page says "No Extra Competitive Event Entry Fees," but I'll go add something down under "Entries" on the General Information page to make it clearer.
  12. yanka

yanka New Member

Are you saying there's no fee to compete? I buy a $20 ticket to the ballroom and can dance in any events I want?
    *confused*
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

Yes. And your partner needs his or her own ticket, too, of course. Why is this so confusing?
  14. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

This is not the only competition like this.. example blackpool. you only need to pay to enter the ballroom.
  15. yanka

yanka New Member

well, bc the normal approach is to pay to dance, not to pay to enter the ballroom. I understand why many comps charge spectator fees (easy money), but my understanding is, no competitors = no comp, so if you're trying to recoup costs of running a comp, you would naturally do so by charging the competitors to compete, not by charging the spectators to watch.

Therefore, it seems odd to see this.
    Of course, a name is a name. Essentially, the point is that you're charging competitors and spectators identical amounts. That's an odd concept in itself...

But at least we're back on topic of the thread...
  16. yanka

yanka New Member

but it's quite rare...
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

For all the years I've been with NorCal, our competitions have always been like this, with the sole exception being the 2006 Nationals. Our USA Dance Chapter is all about putting on competitions that are as affordable as possible! Also, we realized ages and ages ago that no matter what we do we don't draw that many spectators, so that's why there is one price for entry tickets, no matter if you are dancing or not. The spectators like it because they pay but $25 for all day, which is substantially less than they would have to pay at an NDCA-sanctioned comp. The competitors like it because it's inexpensive and easy for them.

We usually manage to draw enough people in to at least break even on the comp, which is all we need to do in order to keep going and having more comps in the future.

This is funny, but yanka's response is making me feel like we're doing something wrong by putting on the least expensive Regionals in the entire country. I guess if people find our system too confusing or too inexpensive, they are more than welcome to go compete at the Chicago or Atlanta regionals!
  18. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I don't see anything weird/wrong about it; and I think y'all do a great job of keeping the cost down. But I can see why people who aren't used to that system can feel very confused and wonder if there are hidden costs somewhere.
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, if they don't register for their competitive events and buy their ballroom admission tickets by the deadline it's an extra $25 per couple late fee, and if they try to do a walk-in registration on the day of the comp (not just add an event, but come in as a completely new entry on the day of) then it's a $50 per couple last-minute-competitor-walk-in fee.

I don't see why this is so confusing -- many of the college events in my area are priced like that, too. I guess we're just lucky out here in the SF Bay Area.
  20. yanka

yanka New Member

You're not doing anything wrong, I promise! :)

to relate back to the pricing sturcture discussed in the thread, your structure essentially says that the marginal value of competing is zero, and that the full value of the fee is in spectating.

I can understand the structure making sense for Blackpool, as the level of dancing is world-class and the average person is much more interested in watching than dancing.

When we're talking about average comps, though, I think the norm is for competitor fees to be higher than spectator fees, because of a positive marginal value of competing. Therefore, a lot of comps charge competitors a fee = registration fee + spectator fee.

I don't know if the reasoning here is "it doesn't cost any extra to dance, so why don't we dance if we're coming to watch anyway?" or "why are the spectator fees so high - they can charge lower spectator fees by actually charging competitors something"

I don't know. But I think the goal of hosting cheap comps is awesome :thumbs up: