Custom ballroom tuxedos...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NielsenE, Sep 4, 2006.

1. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I'm in a formation team where the men are going to be in tuxes. The choreographer is ok with people wearing non-ballroom tuxes (and just removing the shoulder pads, if they can). I've been wanting to get either a dinner jacket or a tuxedo tailored for dancing for some time now, so I thought I'd try to get something custom/tailored. The one vendor I've used before with great success (LeNique) is already full committed with other clients and their own dancing career, not to mention DWTS.

Does anyone know of other places I should try? Do the "big" UK tailsuit tailors do non-tailsuits?
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I think most of the tailsuit vendors do them, yes. Especially any who were in business 10+ years ago when they were more common in situations when tails wouldn't be worn. It's still not uncommon to see an English pro wear one for one dance in a show, and it likely came from wherever his tailcoat did...
  3. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Hi Eric,Ronn Gunn made me one last year and it was great.Ron is going to be at Usdsc so if you want to pm me your details I can put you in touch with him.Cheers chris
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You could try Valentina in NYC.

IMO, wearing a street tuxedo jacket (even sans shoulder pads) is going to look like @$$ (if you'll pardon my French).
  5. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I agree. The choreographer for the routine has said we won't be wearing the jackets for the entire formation -- that might help a little.... but...

And I've been wanting a dance tux anyways so...
  6. fluffy

fluffy New Member

Brackleys definitely do them as well
  7. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I think her usual creation is a black vest worn to be worn with a black-sleeved tails shirt, creating what is at first glance actually a fairly effective mock-tailsuit look (quite popular with the NYU guys). Don't know if she's ever put sleeves on one.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

A fellow at Summer Sizzler was wearing a tailsuit he claimed was made by Valentina. I can only assume this means she does sleeves...
  9. reb

reb Active Member

I have had off-the-rack tux's, and now have a smooth tux and non-dance-tux-made-by-dancewear-maker in LA area.

A good street tux costs big $$

The made-for-smooth Tux hangs like drapes in the back when I am not in dance frame so I would be hesitant to wear that to a dinner!

The non-dance tux made by the dancewear maker in LA is soooo much better than the Italian 'street' tux - it fits me perfectly, in ways something off-the-rack-and-then-tailored can't approach
  10. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

So my custom (well made to measure) tux arrived today. I'm not completely happy with the fit/appearance at present, but I'll see what the tailor recommends after he's seen the photos. Because of delays getting connected with a tailor we felt we didn't have time to do the normal "shell" fitting, so it was made purely off one set of measurements. Looks like that was a bad gamble...

Minor problems in the seat of the pants, but that I think I can get fixed locally, in the worst case. The jacket's issues are what have me concerned -- the upper sleeves bunch when even approaching dance position and destroys the arm-line. Furthermore the shoulder pads (wasn't even expecting it to have them at all) extend slightly past the shoulder so that while they don't interfere with frame (unless they're contributing to the bunching arms), they seem to rule out even slightly elevated arms lines.... I wasn't expect full range of motion, but I thought it would allow more than this. I do have the compete range of motion forward/sideways (unlike the binding that a regular jacket would have).

Can anyone else with a made for dancing tux comment on the sleeves in regular dance frame and on the range of motion for elevated lines?
  11. reb

reb Active Member

Made-for-dancing-tux sleeves should not bunch too much - they're like my tailsuit sleeves, with the slightly added mobility for the elevated lines you're seeking. keep in mind that much of smooth is meant to be in dance frame, but there are elevated lines and you're right, you don't want to bunch too much then also.

In dance frame, it fits like my tailsuit (made by Aleksandr, tailsuit tailor).
    In addition, it has no shoulder pads.

One thing that might help (after you remove those shoulder pads - but check to see if that would look ok in case they cause a new gap when removed) is to attach a pull-down mechanism. In a tailsuit, you'd have it buttoned to your pants. In Smooth, you can install something similar, like a loop of elastic attaching to a button on your pants. Impromptu - maybe even as simple as a safety pins??

Check out my pics to see if that helps for the look (please ignore poor frame and styling . . . no reflection on the tailor!!)
  12. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Yeah my tails have only very minor bunching in the upper arm; so I was expecting the same there. This is from a very reputable tailor, and knew I was targetting smooth (and what that means), which is why I was so surprised... The shoulder pads are similar to teh shoulder shaping/stiffening of tails, not real shoulder pads of a regular non-dancing jacket and don't appear to be removeable....
  13. reb

reb Active Member

Wish i could help - is there another angle to consider??
  14. reb

reb Active Member

Hmmm . . . I used to have an Onik tailsuit that had shoulder shaping/stiffening inside . . . but Aleksandr didn't do that and it turned out much better IMO
  15. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Well thanks for your feedback. I think its telling me that my expectations were about right. I'm going to get some photos & video taken tonight after DWTS and see if the tailor can suggest anything.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Everything is removeable. ;)