Custom making ballroom dresses in China?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

I have heard rumours about custom making ballroom dresses for cheap prices in China but I have never done that myself. I only know one girl who did that but her standard dress has no stones (just a couple plastic beads) and the material used is more curtain cloth like than chiffon. Well she paid about 50 USD only and that explains it, I guess. I am looking for something more elaborated with some rhinestones, arm bands, veil, and eventually matching accessories. Has anyone actually custom made costumes from China before? If yes, what was the price like for a decent looking dress? May I have a ballpark figure?
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I know some people who made nice looking latin costumes i nhong kong, but they did it while visiting so all the details could be taken care of.. rainbow makes some cheap costumes, and can make them to measure...
  3. TangoHeart

TangoHeart New Member

Well some people from my studio have gotten dresses from this one maker- rainbowshui.com is her site....great standard/smooth/latin/rythm dresses on average $250....AWESOME price and great quality, only problem is seeing as they are made in Hong Kong you get what you get and there are no returns. Goodluck though :)
  4. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

I will be visiting Hong-Kong and Southern China over the winter break and I am trying to do my "homework" =D. Well I saw the gowns that Rainbow Shiu sells on Ebay... Most of them look quite funky... not really my style. I wonder if anyone knows local designers or tailors where I could go to in Hong-Kong, Shenzhen or Guangzhou.
  5. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I am one of those people :grin: I have gotten two dresses from rainbow shui in hong kong. (her website is actually: fotop.net/rainbowrainbow ) She is awesome! She has great customer service skills and will make sure that you are happy! I ordered two dresses from her and she remade (once due to my incorrect measurements..) a total of 5 dresses for me! I was completely satified and will be ordering 3 more dresses from her in a couple months. The 1st two dresses I got from her had korean rhinestones and I paid $170 and $180. The next dresses I am getting with swarovskis instead. She has already quoted me $450 for a heavily stoned latin dress with swarovskis. Well, that's my 2 cents.... :applause: feel free to ask me any questions about rainbow, I recommend her.

6. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

Hmm but I guess you can only order from Rainbow Shiu if the dress is on her website right? If I want something that is not on her website, I guess she won't be able to make it. Any idea on that? Thanks!
  7. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

She can put different pieces of dresses together, if that will create what you want--the top from one dress and skirt from another, etc.
  8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Oh, also on ebay, there's a newish seller--swanstudioau--that sells dresses. usually only has a few listed, but you can look at completed sales to see what they do.
  9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

My experience with buying dresses from rainbowshui on ebay hasn't been quite as stellar as what I'm hearing, so I offer this only as an alternative opinion. You get what you pay for. I bought 3 dresses and the fabric was sub-par and the workmanship was not terrific (unevenly sewed seams in a few spots). Although I will say that I have found as I've gotten older, the cheaper the garment, the worse it usually looks. In my 20's, I was fortunate enough to have the kind of body that everything I put on fit without adjustment. That's no longer the case.

For those of you who have purchased dresses, maybe you can share a photo of someone wearing them so people have an idea. I chucked 2 of the 3, but if I can dig up the third one, I'll see if I can't get a picture of me in it. My preference....is to spend the extra money and get something that looks like a quality dress.
  10. Natalka

Natalka Member

I COMPLETELY agree Mamboqueen...(and not just because I sell consignment costumes myself).
    However, as you can imagine, I get all kinds of costumes in from all different makers and many ladies e-mail me and say...
    "Can you sell this costume for me? I thought I'd try having one made in China because I thought it would be great because it's cheaper, but it looks bad on me...the maker did not line the crotch of the panty with material, so it's see through in the crotch...there is no bodysuit built in so you see my cellulite or my rolls...I can't return it if it doesn't fit...etc"
    80% of the time I don't accept these costumes by the way, because the quality is below what I want to offer to my customers.
    You are right...you get what you pay for.
    And NO...you do not have to buy a $2500 Latin or ballroom gown from a vendor and pay full price...you can buy from other competitors or from people like me for instance, who really try to help the ladies get a good deal.
    For example, if you see someone wearing a costume you like...go up to that person and say "Here is my phone number, when you are ready to sell that dress, call me!"
    That's how it's done!
    Or contact me:)
  11. Anna

Anna New Member

The two I got from rainbowshiu are fine (not amazing, but it's cheap and I'm happy with them). You can order anything you want from her, even if you have a picture of a dress she hasn't done she can copy it, or part of it.

How do you post pictures?
  12. Anna

Anna New Member

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

What have you got in, say, a US size 14? Under $500?
  14. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

15. danceislove

danceislove New Member

DITTO THAT!!!! I'll take a 12-14 (if its really stretchy maybe smaller).
    I am limited by finances which is why I buy from Rainbow Shui. I can't shell out more than $500 for a dress :( Granted it is not as nice as a $2,200 dress! Of course not, otherwise everyone would buy them. However for the price, they definitly get the job done :D

She can make anything you want. If you want to combine different dresses, thats cool. Also, an instructor at my studio sent her a sketch of what she wanted and she made it from that (and it turned out great).
  16. Anna

Anna New Member

Yeah, but since you control the design completely you can get something decent if you think through what you're asking for.
  17. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I think the biggest risk is that she will give you what you ask for, unlike a typical dress designer who are normally highly opinonated... So the risk is, if you have bad taste, don't know what to order or you don't dress to flatter your body type then it will probably look awful! If you have somewhat of a clue, and put some thought into it then it will probably be great :cool:
  18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

If you show her a photo of the dress you like, she will tell you whether she can make it. I saw a nice mens Latin shirt in one of Chsris Johnson's Manhattan comp photos and forwarded it to her. She said that she could make it. The price is incredible. I pay $60 for shirts and $60 for a pair of pants, which include registered mail. Before I knew her existence, I used to pay about $300 for custom made pants or shirts in NYC. If they don't fit well, she repairs it till you're satisfied at no additional cost. She pays the postal cost. I don't know how she makes profit. I usually ask what fabric she uses and she almost instantly replies all questions. In case I don't like something I also take it to local tailor who fixes it at $10-20. The pants matrial is high quality polyester (to me it is better than Superfine wool 140) and shirt material Lycra. I also bought shirts from Aida Dance Wear, which also makes dance costumes in Hong Kong but a shirt costs about $110. I don't see much difference between twice more expensive Aida shirts and Rainbow shirts.
  19. Natalka

Natalka Member

See your private messages WaltzGirl...I sent you one!
  20. Natalka

Natalka Member

I just saw a dress from Rainbow Shui delivered last week to a local lady...it was "okay" but looked more like a cocktail dress. Also, it had no bodysuit in it at all.
    My best recommendation would be to make a list of everything you must have such as:
    -a bodysuit
    -lining in the panty
    -double layer of material for bodysuit
    -extra material sent with the dress in case you need to make any corrections
    -extra "flesh colored" straps sent with dress in case you need to add another strap if something doesn't fit right
    and ask a lot of questions to clarify what you want in a dress.