Custom making ballroom dresses in China?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 9, 2006.

1. earline

earline Member

Hi contracheck I cannot get the website dream4dress dot com. what am i doing wrong?

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

For my first couple of comps, I had custom made dresses from sexydancefashion.com. They had Swarovski stones and were under $600. For the price, they were good and worked for my early comps. Customer service was great. I also stoned one of the Smooth dresses. They can't compare with the Dore and Chrisanne dresses, but are adequate for someone on a budget looking for a good deal.

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

You found an old post; Contracheck hasn't been on DF for ages; and dream4dress seems to be gone.

4. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I'm very sad to report that Rainbow is closing her shop! It's a huge shame, because I've had great success with her in the past...

DeniseG likes this.
  5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Me too. :(

6. DeniseG

DeniseG New Member

Hi there,

I bought practice wear from Aida and asked for the skirt to be made a little longer as i am tall. The top and skirt came and I have to say, I was very satisfied with them. A good seller. I recommend Aida.

Denise x

7. DeniseG

DeniseG New Member

Beware dancers on Ebay of Floriabeauty and Mainmainshop that say they are based in Hong Kong. The ballroom and latin dresses are very badly made and inferior quality. The sellers take the photos from "real designers" websites and copy them with inferior materials. Any photo with Seahunter and Seavex in a water mark imprint on the photo on Ebay is a cheap copied photograph stolen from the original dance dress designers website. Despite reviews on Ebay, if you get a bad dress etc you have only 45 days to resolve so if these Ebay sellers drag the situation out you dont get to post your bad review. Its a trick these sellers can overcome saying it must be delayed in customs or in the mail etc, etc.

Yes pity Rainbow herself doesn't make dresses anymore. I bought several from her for top level dance competitions and still I get asked will i sell one particular dress as its very unique. Her dresses were very well made and obviously the more you pay the better quality. But she was fantastic.

Swanstudioau I have heard mixed reviews both good and bad.

One Asian designer, I do recommend is Cielo dance dresses from Vietnam. Website is cielodance.com The designer himself Thomas is a professional dancer and sponsors dancers in his home country and the Netherlands and others. 100% recommend

That's my input.

Hope it helps. Happy dancing guys and gals. X

8. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Rainbow was awesome! I miss her. But, I will definitely check out Cielo! I'll need a new Latin dress by this fall.

9. s2k

s2k Active Member

Great timing Denise - thank you for posting. I've got my eye on a dress and when I read your post, sure enough, these are the two sellers you mention, although prior to now I was suspicious of them both.

Now - I already have a dress I got through Latino Dance Fashions. It's fringe, so as far as quality of materials, it's fringe. :) The color is beautiful. I was happy with the body suit, but although "it was made to my specifications," I still had to get it altered - the elastic was wrong, it had snaps as closures rather than the sliding hooks we're used to, and the fringe needed a "haircut," because while it was sewn on well, it wasn't shaped, so it was supposedly asymmetrical but looked as though it had barely survived a knife fight. That added about $100 to its cost.

And then the stones. The horror, the horror!

So I wore it with crap stones for a few comps, then handpicked off every single cheap stone and replaced them with Swarovskis. And then the year after, I added more stones. So THAT added another $200. I'm lucky that since the dress is fringe, only the outline of the dress is stoned. I know it'd be waaaaay more expensive otherwise.

So now I have a lovely dress that I've pretty much given a total overhaul to, and I'm really happy with the results. But I expect that if I go the eBay route again, I'll have to revamp it.

I'd like another dress, one designed by a talented, reputable designer, but it's a hard, hard sell with my husband. (any tips in that arena, holla).

10. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I've done both the China/eBay route and used dress route. Now that I'll be started buying used dresses of higher quality, I don't think I would ever go back to buying the cheap new ones. It's only a couple of hundred more expensive for a used designer dress if you look hard, and the quality is just not comparable

sbrnsmith, kckc and stash like this.
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I love my used Dore dress! I am so happy I made the purchase a few years ago.

12. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

The point of those sellers, though, is to produce knock-offs, which inherently will be lower quality.... you're not supposed to be getting a "deal," you're getting what you pay for. If you pay $300 you're not going to get a dore quality dress. Those sellers are fine for collegiate dancers, for example, who just want a fun dress that maybe has the same design as a professional dress, but will only use it for a few years.

Those sellers based out of Hong Kong are a pain to do business with, though.

Lioness likes this.
  13. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Precisely. And if you know WHAT to ask for, you can usually get more bang for your buck. For example, asking for floats, bracelets, or for the dress to even be made in a different fabric (and chances are it will be a little nicer quality for it)

There's also a BIG difference, budget-wise, between $300 and $1000 or more, which in my experience is typical for a used designer dress

DeniseG likes this.
  14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Alot of the "nicer" ebay sellers will do standard dresses for $500-$600. I paid $850 for a lesser known European designer used with Chrisanne fabrics and swaroski stones. Is the extra $250-350 a chunk of change? Yes, but not that much.

15. DeniseG

DeniseG New Member

Glad to have helped. Try cielodance.com in Vietnam. Thomas is very good. Being a pro dancer himself, he knows the dance world. He will put swarovski stones on your dress if requested or try a new small designer in Netherlands Amelia Petrillo (also on Facebook). Her prices are pretty good and the dresses all look fab. If you want some dress designers or dressmakers in the UK PM. Me. Good Luck with your dancing. Denise x

16. s2k

s2k Active Member

Thank you - Cielo has some shapes that are closest to what I'm in the market for. I appreciate the referral!

17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

As you look at what has happened with ballroom dance shoes, it is pretty easy to imagine the same is happening with clothing. That doesn't mean there isn't room for both local and international trade, and we see that in shoes as well. I think you also have to be careful making the assumption that everything from overseas is low quality.

18. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Of course-- I usually buy from overseas. It fits my budget, and as long as you know what to look and ask for, I've been very happy with the quality :)

DanceMentor likes this.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

To Americans, UK/Europe is overseas. ;)

20. DeniseG

DeniseG New Member

I am meeting Cielo agent at Blackpool this week to order new dresses.