Custom making ballroom dresses in China?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 9, 2006.

1. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I purchased a swan dress last year, it was very nice!

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

what has been intersting me lately has been pearllydress .. they seem to use real stones and chrisanne fabrics... only the cupcake designs but for under 1k they look good.. curious if anyone actually got tempted and can comment on quality

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

they look very pretty, kat. and they're ready-made...well, some, anyway. one could have them quite quickly.

4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

My experience with Chinese dressmaker are extremely negative - I had my friends went there with my measurements and spent $500 for each gown in Beijin, the gowns came back with poor quality fabric and poor design, the quality is just not right for any compeitions, I can't even wear them for any small comps. I sold one for less than $250, and still have difficulty to get rid of the other one.

Before I made those 2 gowns, Katusha Demidova suggested me NOT to make any gowns in China because she saw someone dancing with gowns made in China and not good quality. But I was just lured because of the cheap price....I should have listened to her so I wouldn't waste money.

maybe I didn't go to the correct place, but my friend from China said that place is the place making gowns for Chinese competitors, and they have nice fancy brochures and the gowns looked impressive on pictures. well huge disappointment!!!!

5. Katarzyna

I am sure there are many makers, some good some bad, finding one that has high quality is not easy. but from what I hear, the ones that have quality things, are not looking to expand internationally as they have business there already and dont have such low prices

6. Standarddancer

love the shaded pink fabric, but not the top, not sure if it's purple stone or purple laces, better if it's stones, if it's lace, will be cheap looking, sorry that's what I think...

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Me could, however, stone the lace... that would class it up. :)

8. Katarzyna

well many top level dresses are based on lace, its stonning that would distinguish it.. if fit is good, fabric moves well and you add like 3 - 4 packs of stones it could look good

9. Katarzyna

is swan studio even from china? thought it was australia

10. Standarddancer

I understand what you are saying...I've received pretty printed brochures (maybe pictures of these gowns are beautiful couture gowns). But does not match what I received at all:(

I think those Chinese dresses are okay for syllabus dancers or beginners are just trying out ballroom dancing and not sure if they want to continue dancing, however, if you are dancing for gold level or higher, you need a better quality gowns cost 1K+...at least the cost of dresses have to cover quality fabrics and stones

11. Katarzyna

I'd say you need to spend min 700 to get something decent quality with stones and decent fabrics.. and i dont mean amasing. the other ones do stick out on the floor, you can tell they are ebay dresses just by glancing at them once

12. Standarddancer

yes agree with kat & samina, stoning is doable...but purchasing high quality stones from SW adds more cost, so I understand what Ellie is saying, if someone or some sites offer to sell cheap dresses for few hundred bucks, which means they are NOT using high quality stones or buying cheap fabrics to cut cost...nobody will make dresses for losing money. Just think about it.

I've bought cheap dresses and absolutely terrible experience, I thought I've saved money for purchasing cheap, but the CHEAP ones look bad on the floor, make me and my dancing look bad, that I can't even use them for comps so it's not saving money at all...

I've bought high quality ones for premium price, making me look great and I feel great and those high quality dresses compliment my dancing. You know what, I've sold 3 high quality gowns without even marketing them, people came to me after I danced comp or show, asking to try / purchase my high quality dresses. So I did get my investment back.

13. gracie

gracie Active Member

I'm just wondering- how are the Rainbowshiu skirts cut that they "hang lifelessly"? Not enough material, not full circles, the kind of fabric? I looked at her website and I see every type of skirt that you see on the major designer's sites. You feel the swanstudio dresses will move on the floor? How are they different?

14. danceislove

danceislove New Member

If I recall correctly....they are based out of Australia, or at least they say they are, however my dress was mailed from China. So I don't know if they just email your measurements off to someone in China or what?

15. Me

Me New Member

Hmm. Well, at the time I wrote that, many of rainbow's smooth gowns looked a lot like this:

[​IMG]

Many used the same sort of generic designs across the board, heavy lycra tops, flimsy georgette bottoms... I just looked rainbowshiu up on eBay and it appears that the designs have more variety now and the fabrics and materials appear much nicer. So, who knows! Maybe those dresses are better now. Maybe somebody here who has purchased rainbowshiu recently can tell us?

I guess with swanstudio, my only real complaint would be the floats were not as nice as the gown. The floats on both gowns were a bit sparce and made of georgette, but I knew this when I bought the gowns, and at only $150 per gown, there was no room for complaints, especially after I held the dress in my hands and could see the quality of work that went into it. I can always have floats made later and dyed to match. I do not know what the skirts were made of - A sort of silk-like synthetic. But they were cut nicely, have nice shine, and pick up when I turn.

16. WorksForShoes

WorksForShoes Member

I own three or four of Rainbow's dresses, with another on the way. My most recent smooth gown is of a heavier shiny satin, and I have been pleased with the movement I see in pictures (I don't have one handy I can post, but even in pictures where I know we are not executing the dance at our best, the dress still looks decent to me). We are currently dancing bronze, so it seems worthwhile, given a fixed dance budget, to spend less on the dress at this level and more on the coachings and lessons. I'm sure that the cost-benefit analysis will one day shift, or else I will land a major book advance and the dance budget will expand accordingly.

17. dancingmomof2

dancingmomof2 New Member

Can anyone elaborate on the need for a double layer of material for the bodysuit? Wouldn't there be a layer for the body suit, underdress and overdress? That alone seems like a lot of layers. Do y'all add another layer to the bodysuit on top of all that? What about latin dresses that don't have an underdress?

18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Does anyone have experience with dream4less dot com? It is based in Ohio, and their price is one of the lowest I have seen. The photos in their website look fabulous, but photos always look nice. The price was so good that I ordered a pair of latin pants at $130 plus $10 for shipping. I don't know if the products are made in China.

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I checked that link, and got a travel agency.:)

20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am sorry. The correct website is: dream4dress dot com. To me, the photos of their products are very nice and price is irresistable, so I plunged in with both feet. I hope i did not make mistake.