Custom making ballroom dresses in China?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 9, 2006.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

The pictures do look nice. Let us know how the pants turn out!
  2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Thanks for agreeing with me. I guess my eyes are getting good. I am going to be as good as Laura. Furthermore, in my experience, no one makes a pair of latin pants at a total cost of $130.
  3. dancinrina

dancinrina New Member

Where did you find the pricing on these? I'm curious about some of those dresses.
  4. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Mens classified section of ballroomdancers dot com and emails.
  5. 2totango

2totango New Member

contracheck, where in Ohio is this business based? I've never heard of them and I am here in Ohio.
  6. contracheck

contracheck New Member

8494 Cotter St
    Lewis Ctr, OH 43035
    Their website has above address, and I sent my check there.

It looks like I am the only one who has used this business. I hope that I don't lose my money.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

They are outside of Columbus, Ohio. The dresses are made here.
  8. 2totango

2totango New Member

I know where Lewis Center is as I live in Columbus, but I am surprised that neither my studio, nor my shoe supplier has referenced this place as I was just looking for my first ballroom gown and could have easily driven up to discuss design, etc. You will have to let me know how you like your garments.
  9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

They say that it's always dark under the lamp. Mine is a pair of mens latin pants, which may be quite different from dresses.
  10. 2totango

2totango New Member

True, but if this place does good work, then we dancers in Columbus would have been directed there, I'd think, even though pants are different from dresses.

But, I am only familiar with my studio and perhaps other studios in the area patronize this designer.

I am looking forward to hearing how they look!
  11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Or it could be they have "exclusive" deals with different people that they recommend or there was some perceived slight on the part of one or the other. There's a lot of reasons a business might not suggest another business that have nothing to do with the quality of work or service.
  12. lissie

lissie New Member

Yes I think that it is enough layers - it depends on the design a bit. I have just had a ballroom and latin dress made by rainbow shiu and I am very happy - all her dresses have body suits and bra cups (which are essential) and I get the floats detachable because of New Vogue style dancing.

I am a dressmaker myself and I think her quality is excellent -the fabric is not hte most expensive but for 10% of the price of a custom made (the only size that will fit me) dress in Australia I am a happy repeat customer.

Remeber people choose hteir own design - and I agree that does make some of the dresses hideous - but you cant blame the maker for that !
  13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I received my completed pair of Latin Pants from this vender, a week sooner than her promised delivery. I am highly satisfied with this product. The fit is perfect and the craftmanship is superb. From now on, I will use this vender for my future costume need.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm glad the pants worked out for you. :)
  15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Over the yrs, I have my pants made in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taka, LeNique, and a famous Beverly Hill tailor. The pants I received today from Ohio tops all of my previous pants - just perfect. It displays a tag, "Made in USA."
  16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Happy for you!
  17. natasha.s

natasha.s New Member

Custom dresses

I found a dress company I have ordered from them, very nice, very reasonable. They will also custom make any design if you send a picture.

(please no links from new members! Larinda)
  18. danceislove

danceislove New Member

those look like rainbow shui dresses, but at much higher prices....
  19. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

Don't know too many details, but from what I've heard locally in Hong Kong --
    Given the option, you want to source the fabric OUTSIDE of China, to get a good high quality fabric, then get it put together in China for best results.

However I was doing this through uneven interpretation, as I speak only English, my friend is English/Cantonese with some Mandarin, and the person we were talking to was all Mandarin....
  20. A friend of mine just bought tails in china for $250. I was impressed with the quality but they are definitely what you pay for..... perfect for silver, gold, and maybe pre-champ at collegiate competitions.