Dance cruise...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Kit05, May 5, 2010.

1. Kit05

Kit05 New Member

Anyone been? I want to go, but I don't have anyone to go with. I wonder if it would be weird if I just went by myself and hopefully I'll meet people there to hang out with.

If you've gone, a few questions for you-
    * Which dance cruise did you go on?
    * What was the age demographic like?
    * Any other helpful information or resources you have regarding this. (e.g. possibly finding a roommate, maybe meet/talk some people going beforehand, etc.)
    * How was your experience?
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

never been on one but was on the same ship and able to observe and share the same dance-floor with the participants...granted, I have heard that the quality varies....the group I saw, via the zuiderdam, appeared to be doing bronze and silver american style steps, with medium to poor technique, they were nearly all over the age of fifty and appreared to be half couples and half single women with approximately 4 males instructors who appearly reasonably proficient...
  3. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

At our last formal ballroom dance the Lonny Lynn Orchestra played the music and they were very good. They do have a dance Eastern Caribbean cruise planned for next March. Sea cruises is one of our passions, however the timing for this one does not work for us. The ship is the Emerald Princess which we have cruised. We did a lot of dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar and Club Fusion on the ship. The ship even had a professional dance couple who performed a couple dances each evening in the atrium.
    We've never booked a dance cruise--but only because of the timing. If you want more info on their cruise just Google Lonny Lynn Orchestra.
  4. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

Went on Costa line sponsored by Stardust Dance, the ones who do the Catskill dance weekends. They go each January out of Ft Lauderdale. DW and I went two years in a row. Goggle Stardustdance as I can not post reference.

Over 500 of the 2000 plus passengers are dancers. Demographic is 40 thru 60’s, with some younger. Many couples. More single women than men, yet there are usually 8 or more dance hosts as well as the instructors that will dance all evening. We take over the large dance floor each evening after other activities are done with the floor. It is lots of fun to have 50 couples who know something about dancing out on the dance floor at the same time.
    The large dance floor on the Costa Ships is wonderful. There are lessons all day, or you can skip them and do the regular cruise activities. One dinner seating is all dancers. We have kept up with a few dance friends that we met on the cruises.
    Costa is relatively low-end low-priced compared to say, Cunard. I think next year they are on another Italian cruise similar to Costa. Contact the stardust people for more info about roomies, etc
  5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've heard they can be fun. They're going to be older, getting close to being retired folks (because that's who has the extra money to participate.) I went on one. It was a disaster. Especially with all the drama we ended up sitting in the middle of instead of having a relaxing vacation. My advice would be to not go on one hosted by your married dance instructor who takes one of his mistresses along. The money we paid "extra" (over what we'd pay to just go on a cruise, because much like a pro-am comp, you pay the dance hosts' expenses) went towards one lesson ruined by the mistress having a hissy fit, (instead of the three that were promised aong with some party that never happened) and I think he bought us a drink one night. Well, me a drink. Husband doesn't drink. Especially with all the drama we ended up sitting in the middle of instead of having a relaxing vacation. The other times that were supposed to be "hosted" tended to be taken up by instructor/host comforting the mistress since her husband served her with divorce papers at the pier/dock/wherever it is you get on the ship. (Bless her slutty little heart.) So we got approximately a $25 value for paying for about 20% of his expenses. Quite the bargain!
    It's not obvious after all was said and done I ended up siding with instructor's wife is it?
    So in the end, my advice would be, if you have a partner, just take them and dance when the bands are playing. Especially if you're under the age of 50. And if you do choose a "dance" cruise, make sure the host/hosts aren't going to cause a bunch of drama with their infidelities.
    On the plus side, dancing on a cruise does wonders for your balance. After all, if you can manage to not fall down when you're dancing in rough waters and a bit drunk, you get back home to a non-moving dance floor and it's easy to stay on your feet!
  6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I did one about 4 years ago. I don't really care for doing it again, the lessons weren't useful for me even then, and the dancing really was so-so. I probably will do some sort of cruise sometime (my son asked if we could go again) but won't pay extra for it to be a dance cruise.
  7. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

DH and I have been on two dance cruises, but in both cases the cruises were organized by people we usually dance with. We really enjoyed both cruises because they gave us a chance to connect with people we see regularly but don't usually have a chance to talk to because we're too busy dancing. One of the cruises included a few lessons, but that wasn't the point ... the point was the cruise itself.

Find out what the cruise is offering ... see whether it meets your needs.
  8. Linda J Schlensker

Linda J Schlensker New Member

Too often people sign up for a dance cruise and don't check out the ship they are using. Different cruise lines cater to different groups of people. Some are family oriented, there are adult only cruises, etc. What bands are playing, how big are the dance floors etc? I posted a good article on the travel links page on our site that I found helpful. http://www.blueridgeballroom.com/Blue_Ridge_Ballrom/Art_&_Travel_Links.html
    Scroll down it comes up early. Other links there might be useful.We just provide info and don't do travel cruises ourselves so do worry about being sold anything if you click on it. If you want lessons on your cruise, check out whose teaching. I seen the full range of bad to good on cruises. I have the most fun by find a friend(s) who wanted to go with me and booked on the cruise and ship we liked best.
    Nimue likes this.
  9. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

You have a great website! And the cruise references look useful for future reference ... thanks.
  10. Kortgawain

Kortgawain New Member

kit05, if you will Google "SSQQ" and then on the home page go to "SSQQ Travel" (I can't give the website since I have so few messages). This is about social dance cruises that this organization has handled on many of the ships mentioned above. It is probably more relaxed then you wish, and it probably presents much more information about many people (that you don't know) than you probably wish, but it may be helpful about some of the activities and various thoughts regarding the cruises.
  11. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

Kit05, I went on two dance cruises, one of the ladies who was taking lessons at my studio owns her own travel agency and she organized them, and the studio contributed two instructors for the week-long Caribbean cruise. I liked the first one, was not too thrilled by the second one, although it might be because I didn't exactly like the "cruise" format of vacationing--I doubt I would go to a cruise if it was not dance related, so YMMV.

However, I totally second the people who mentioned Costa Cruises. They might not be the best or most luxurious cruise line, but their dance floors are giants in cruise ship terms. I met an elderly couple on one of the cruises (she had a competition style dress--turns out she was a retired ballroom dance teacher, and used to own her own studio) and she told me she'd been on close to 50 cruises but the Costa ship was the one with the largest dance floor she'd ever seen afloat.
  12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

My husband and I would have loved to attend. Unfortunately, it runs at a time when we are working, and will not be able to take a break. Maybe a summer cruise would have been better.
  13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I think the Queen Mary has claim to the largest dance floor at sea. It really is a great room and great fun to dance on. Here is a picture of the Queens Room.

Myself I have no desire to do a dance cruise but if I did this would be the ship I would pick.

Attached Files:

14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

My father took the QM2 home from England a couple of years ago. The Cunard Line folks recommend he bring his evening clothes for socializing at night. He dutifully dressed beautifully --white tie, suspenders, custom-made evening pumps, etc -- and went off to the dance floor -- and it was so packed, he couldn't get on it. Did not dance once -- and he's a distinguished looking gentleman of a certain age who loves to dance. Those folks who take the QM2 are *serious* about their dancing!
  15. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

j_a, he's adorable! :)
  16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I agree--he's a dapper-looking fellow, JA!

:)
  17. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

18. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Thats too bad, what a shame, and yes quite dashing!! We have sailed on QM twice and one time there was a dance group on board and still never had that problem. Yes though will agree this cruise line is quite formal.
  19. j_alexandra

The music goes on in the kitchen, we kick the scatter rugs aside, and dance around the kitchen table (kitchen is 18 x 25, fwiw). Considering he needs both hips replaced, who could ask for more?
  20. j_alexandra

Thx; I'll tell him so. He'll blush.