Dance for Disney

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Just got this email...I wonder if it will also eventually apply to supplying Professional dancers for "Dancing with the Stars," considering that Disney owns ABC.

2. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Isn't this the same company that is running the self-styled "World Pro-Am Championship", together with the WDC, in Buenes Aires?
    I remember at some point, in the WDC-IDSF turf war, a communique by the WDC where they promised to give the IDSF a run for its money in the area of promoting ballroomdancing on TV. Looks like they're trying to do so. I'd be very, very curious to know the financial arrangements between World Promotions and the WDC, since this announcement here kind of goes out of its way to mention the WDC, and to state specifically that World Promotions will only hire "Professionals" (with a capital P, no less).
    Whatever!!!
  3. Laura

Laura New Member

Yes. It's as if the plot were thickening or something. It seems part of an apparent ongoing effort to marginalize the NDCA. Well, until someone can convince competitors that a World Promotions competition is more hotly contested and better attended than the likes of the Ohio Star Ball, I'm not sure how far that will go.

Ahh, turf wars, what fun.
  4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

My first thought was if there were going to be any sort of dress code!
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

Laura posts for me. As soon as I got that email, I felt my lip curling.
  6. Me

Me New Member

I am missing something here. That sounds like a potential opportunity for a professional. I'm not sure why it is bad? I'm still a n00b when it comes to some of the finer workings of the ballroom industry, so...
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i have my prejudices against disney, but i agree with Me, this will certainly open some doors for some pros with disney-appropriate images.

am going to pass this bit of info onto my instructors... i think they're the type disney would go for. which normally would be an insult on my part <g>, but i definitely do not mean that in this instance. have thought since i met them that they were tv-bound in some capacity. apparently they were very well-known on television back in their home country

i'd buy stock in them if i could... <g>
  8. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

The wry comments are not about this particular arrangement, and whether it will be good for dancers.
    It's just that it is part of an ongoing drama (or farce, depending on how you look at it) of a turf war that has been going on between the two international organizations, the WDC and the IDSF (and their local minions) that govern "professional" and "amateur" dancers, respectively. Recently, pro-am dancing became part of this turf war, in a rather insulting way, by both sides, which really p****d me off.
    It's a long story. May be someone (Laura??) can pitch in with a pithy summary.
    But I do remember, specifically, an earlier communique from WDC in which they mentioned their new association with World Promotions as their strategy to counter the IDSF arguments that it was growing dancesport by promoting it in the media.
    And the emphasis in the communique about the "Professional" status of all potential hires, and that this will be verified by the WDC, caught my eye. This has a long history, too.
    Which raises the somewhat interesting question in my mind: Does this mean that Disney World is now barred from hiring students and the like to perform in any ballroom-related production say, during the summer, unless such students join the NDCA? Does ballroom include swing dancing? Technically, swing is one of the American style Rhythm dances. But then the communique defines the styles of ballroom as "ballroom, latin and exhibition". Huh? This is the European, not the US, definition of ballroom. Where's Smooth and Rhythm? Subsumed under ballroom and latin, I suppose.
  9. Me

Me New Member

Oh, I see. More politics.

Do these organizations actually DO anything? I know the NDCA has received two formal complaints in regard to an instructor in my area suing and starving out multiple professionals, and despite their statement of purpose, master rules regarding disciplinary action, and 'Code of Ethics,' they have refused to take any action. So basically they like to say they're the governing body of ballroom dance for the U.S., but they do nothing.
  10. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Whatever the WDC's hopes about the association, I really do get the impression, not only from this but from other things I've read about them, that World Promotions is trying to stay, as it puts it, "non-political" and out of the turf wars.

My guess is that the "professional" designation is either for practical purposes, so they don't have to wade through a lot of wannabes who've had a few dance lessons (think SYTYCD auditions!), or a requirement of Disney. Perhaps more likely the latter, since no one who knew anything about the ballroom world would set up a screening system that would include 6-week wonders and exclude some of the best dancers in the world.
  11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

World Promotions may well be trying to stay out of the WDC/IDSF politics. At the same time, however, it is positioning itself as an alternative to the NDCA so that has political ramifications. Part of what's going on of course is that there's not just one political 'debate' taking place.
  12. alemana

alemana New Member

plus the innate evilness of the Mouse Empire.
  13. mamboqueen

You know, I just realized that I got this e-mail, too. Wonder how they got our e-mail addresses?
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

I guessed that I got the email because I am on that DanceSport Newsflash list that Michael Meade runs. That's the first thing I could think of, unless the WDC and/or World Promotions somehow got my address through one of the NDCA comp organizers. There are a lot of people out there in dance land who have my email, including Dance Beat magazine, the NDCA, USA Dance, the list goes on and on.
  15. Pam

Pam New Member

I got it too and the only distribution list I know I am on is Michael Mead's.
  16. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I'm only a USA Dance member and did not receive the message.
  17. mamboqueen

I think that's the common denominator.
  18. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I wrote Michael Mead and asked if he forwarded the message, because I, too, wanted to know how someone else may have gotten my email. It appears that he DID NOT give our emails to them... he simply forwarded the message to keep his news subscribers at DanceSportComps-dot-com informed:

19. mamboqueen

It went to my "junk" mailbox at my hotmail account and what's weird is the e-mail said "we cannot verify the sender of this e-mail", but nowhere on it can you tell who or where it came from, and if I hit "reply", there's a blank in the field. I don't really care much because I set this account up as my "junk catcher" for the most part (and to have something portable when I change service providers), but I guess I would hope that when I sign up for certain e-mail lists they're not selling my address to anyone and everyone.

I really don't get this whole political mumbo jumbo anyway, nor do I really care to. Of course, getting the sense that the organization that is supposed to aid people who do what I do in resolving complaints sends out a message that that I'm part of the Rodney Dangerfield of the dance community doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzies. But, I don't really care enough to be concerned.
  20. ABC ballroom

ABC ballroom New Member

Yikes! So much intrigue!