Dance Legends 2013

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Meagan, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

What were everyone's favorite numbers on Friday?

What were everyone's favorite numbers on Saturday?

I have some definite favorites, and would be interested in hearing what other people thought.

2. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Friday: Eugene and Maria's rumba, Eugene and Maria's cha cha, Eugene and -- well, really, everything Eugene and Maria did. Also loved Riccardo and Yulia's rumba.

Saturday: LOVED LOVED LOVED Tomas and JT's VWaltz. Also their Foxtrot (so much fun to see that in person after seeing it on Youtube so many times). Felipe and Carolina's bolero and Goodbye My Lover. Also Stefano and Dasha's rumba and Louis and Julie's rumba and MalagueƱa.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Eugene and Maria still got it.

Bailamosdance and ChaChaMama like this.
  4. dlliba10

Very interested to hear yours too, CCM!

5. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

So attempting to post right now is probably a bad idea but if I wait until full recovery who knows when that will be... :rolleyes:

I don't always get to really "see" all the numbers but some of my favorites were:

Eugene & Maria's Cha Cha
    Riccardo & Yulia's Samba
    Felipe & Carolina's Bolero (even in rehearsal, not fully out and without costumes this one got me)
    Emanuel & Tania's Tango
    Tomas & JT's Foxtrot (just great seeing it again)
    Stefano & Dasha's Jive
    Mirko & Edita's Quickstep

OK now I'm starting to list too many soooo I'll stop :) But my absolute favorite of the weekend (because I was so mesmerized I actually forgot to watch what I was supposed to be for the entire number) was Stefano & Dasha's Rumba.

Would love to hear other opinions!! Especially CCM's of Saturday night cause I was lucky enough to chat with her about Friday already ;)

dlliba10 likes this.
  6. dlliba10

I also loved Mirko and Edita's bows at the end of Saturday night ... :)

middy likes this.
  7. jivechica

jivechica Member

Apologies if this was already discussed, but does anyone know if there will be any videos available at some point?

8. ajiboyet

I think the website says you can pre-book DVDs.

9. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Yes, there will be DVDs available although they do take sometime to edit (since the show is quite a lot of footage and filmed over multiple cameras). There are a few clips from last year's video, in addition to this year's bow teaser, up on our youtube page but the videos can be bought through the Dance Legends website.

Yes, I did not include in my post all of my favorite bows but they really were a highlight of the show this year for me!! Mirko & Edita's was definitely one of them ;)

10. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

OOOH also...Stephen Marino has posted some of his photos (Friday dress rehearsal and show) and they are amaaaaazing (not that I'm surprised). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to his website, but if you pm me I can direct you there if you can't find it!

Attached Files:

11. ajiboyet

Katusha: pretty woman with pretty legs in a pretty dress and pretty shoes.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

13. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I thought that Eugene and Maria's cha-cha and rumba were two of the absolute highlights of Friday night! The atmosphere in the ballroom when they danced was very heartwarming. They have made such positive contributions to the US dance community.

My favorite costume of Friday night was probably Yuliya's paso costume. I also liked Anastasia's costume for Viennese waltz. Oh, and Carolina Telona was wearing an extremely attractive and eye-catching evening gown, but she was technically in the audience, so maybe I shouldn't count that. ;)

Saturday night, I particularly enjoyed Stefano and Dasha's rumba and samba, and Louis and Julie's Malaguena and rumba. Dasha's rumba costume was one of my favorite of the night.

As a complete side note to DL itself, the low point for us was on Saturday night, toward the beginning of Act III. Someone had upgraded herself from a cheaper seat to the row in front of us, which is fine...but then proceeded to take a call on her cell phone during the performance!!! ChaChaPapa asked her--reasonably politely--if she would mind not using her phone during the show. She said that she wouldn't be using it if it weren't an emergency, but a friend had lost her cell phone and she was trying to help that person find the phone, "so that's okay, right?" I don't think I'm totally out of line here in saying that that is
    A) NOT an emergency,
    B) NOT a reason for me to have to hear someone's voice on the phone while I am trying to watch a show. Take that "emergency" out to the lobby, please!

14. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Sounds like we had a number of the same favorites!! I can't wait to actually see the video so I can really watch the dancing more instead of what I was focused on! I feel like some of them I will be "seeing" for the first time haha Even with some of the pictures I'm seeing now, I keep thinking "wow, when was that?!" :p

You should definitely count that!! Checking out all the outfits in the audience is definitely a highlight of the weekend for me ~ so nice to see everyone so fancy and are there are some truly stunning dresses (and people)!

Definitely not out of line at all!! There are appropriate places to take phone calls and that is NOT one of them! Next time please feel free to speak with an usher to get them to help resolve the problem because I'm sure you were not the only people bothered by it!!! (but I'm glad you and CCP spoke up!)

SDsalsaguy and ChaChaMama like this.
  15. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Exciting, two couples that performed at Dance Legends last week placed 1st and 2nd at World Championships today! Congratulations to Arunas & Katusha and Victor & Anastasia!

Rest of the results: http://www.wdcdance.com/?show_event=2220

ajiboyet, SDsalsaguy and ChaChaMama like this.
  16. and I believe Emanuel & Tania won the European title too

17. Becca

Becca Active Member

The entire event was just incredible! So amazing!

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Becca! Why did you come over and say "hi"? :(

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

For those who may be interested, I have a bunch of my images from Friday night's show up in this album -- enjoy!

latingal likes this.
  20. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Very beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing SDsalsaguy!