Ballroom Dance > Dance Lessons Tax Deductible?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tangoking, Aug 30, 2012.

  1. tangoking

    tangoking Member

    Anyone know of a loophole where dance lessons can be deducted as a pre-tax expense?

    Could this be considered an educational expense?
  2. Dancebug

    Dancebug Well-Known Member

    A lot of us can write it off as a medical expense. Psychological therapy. No?

    Oops! Too late to be funny.
  3. Gorme

    Gorme Active Member

    If you were a part-time dance teacher, you can probably file the dance lesson as an educational expense.
  4. danceronice

    danceronice Well-Known Member

    I was going to say if you were a dance teacher reporting income as such, you might be able to try and write them off as a business expense, but a hobby dancer? No way. The IRS is very picky about that sort of thing.
  5. nucat78

    nucat78 Active Member

    IF your doc prescribes it as a form of physical therapy for a *specific* medical condition or rehabilitation, then you ought to talk with your tax advisor about the deductibility.
  6. tangoking

    tangoking Member

    Yes I just spoke with my accountant last week, and I will be talking with him this month. I will ask and post the answer here.
  7. nucat78

    nucat78 Active Member

    You might want to check with your health insurance also if your doc writes a script.
  8. soccerdancer

    soccerdancer New Member

    Perhaps if you were competing as a Pro and were taking lessons from another pro could this be considered a "business" expense. The biggest caveat as that the IRS has what are called "hobby loss" rules. Consult your CPA, but you need to have made a profit in this "business" for two of the past seven years in order to realize any net losses from the competitive dancing. Otherwise, writing off the cost of lessons is a no no.

    JANATHOME Well-Known Member

    Interesting question and some even more really interesting responses!

    As a casual coversation this is fun. However as a CPA reading these posts and after a few OMG's under my breath I repeat what others have said already.

    Never run with tax advise posted on ANY message board and instead seek professional advise from someone who can review your particuliar situation.
  10. SDsalsaguy

    SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

  11. Peaches

    Peaches Well-Known Member

    Prolly also not a bad idea to call the IRS directly and see what they have to say. But yes, talk to a tax professional about it!
  12. nucat78

    nucat78 Active Member

    Ask your tax guy what Pub 502 is actually saying.
  13. tangoking

    tangoking Member

    Disagree here... an IRS agent isn't going to clue you into a loophole. This one is going to take an experienced accountant.

    This reminds me of my intense investigation regarding writing off my business/office clothes and suits (which, despite many creative suggestions, remains a no-no with my accountant). This actually applies to dance teachers--they can actually write off the cost of competitive clothing according to this Forbes article:

    Regardless, I will continue to search for a loophole. Perhaps dance can somehow be listed under medical? Is there such a thing as "dance therapy?"

    I will resist the temptation to launch into a discussion about how the health care system rewards one for being sick, and its indifference to preventative medicine like gym memberships, yoga, dance, etc..
  14. Bailamosdance

    Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

    Heh heh

    Remember, this November, remember to vote early and often....
  15. Peaches

    Peaches Well-Known Member

    No, but that wasn't my point. Talking to the IRS will let you know the official stance on the matter.
  16. Subliminal

    Subliminal Well-Known Member

    I looked into it when I had some serious health problems a few years ago. I believe you can use a HSA, but it requires a specific diagnosis and prescription on a doctors note. E.G., "Dancing prescribed as physical therapy for 959.7 Knee Injury."

    I decided not to try it. And like others have said, consult a professional before trying it yourself.

    ETA: For an HSA, you may also have to convince the account manager to accept this use of the account. They often have the best idea of what will fly with the IRS.
  17. pygmalion

    pygmalion Well-Known Member

    I'm with you, sub. The problem with loopholes, in my (admittedly limited but not non-existent) experience, is that they can come back to bite you in the butt when you least expect it -- like when you get audited two years later and/or get an IRS nasty-gram in the mail, claiming that you owe x amount plus late fees, because the person who randomly selected your return for review sees things differently than the person who advised you in the first place.

    I would be careful with this one. Like everyone else so far, I really, really think that consulting a trusted professional is best.
  18. davedove

    davedove Active Member

    Even for hobbies, you could still write off the expense UP TO the amount of income. In other words, you could reduce your net income to zero, but could not take a loss.

Share This Page