Dance Moms

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ash_sk8s, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Not ballroom/partner dancing, but does anyone watch this show?

2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I saw about 20 min of it last night for the first. May start watching it. Could be interesting. Didn't care for that dance teacher....at all. Would love to see the mothers take her down a peg or two.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What is it about?

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Here's the description from Lifetime:

Set in Pittsburgh’s renowned Abby Lee Dance Company, owned and operated by notoriously demanding and passionate instructor Abby Lee Miller, “Dance Moms” follows children’s early steps on the road to stardom, and their doting mothers who are there for every rehearsal, performance and bow … all under the discerning eye of Miller. Presenting a powerful cast of characters sure to raise eyebrows, the series immerses itself in the highs and lows surrounding competition season to deliver an intriguing and dramatic look at the cast’s frantic pursuit of the ultimate National Dance title. Centered on the devoted Miller, who runs her school with an iron tap shoe as she instructs her young, talented students while also dealing with over-the-top mothers who go to great lengths to help their children’s dreams come true, “Dance Moms” will pose the tough questions many ask about what really goes on behind the scenes in the fast-growing and controversial sport of competitive dance.

Is Miller’s in-your-face approach good for her students, or is it too much? At what point does she cross the line, and who has the guts to stand up to her if she does? Are these “Dance Moms” living vicariously by pushing their kids too far? How happy are the students in this unusually competitive sport? What happens when they and their moms become competitive with each other? And, ultimately, who has what it takes?

Constantly on edge from Miller’s strict discipline and at times harsh “my way or the highway” style of teaching, her students and their mothers are pushed to the limit emotionally, physically, socially and, in some cases, financially as they tirelessly rehearse every day for weekly dance competitions throughout the U.S. Some students and mothers in Miller’s universe buy in to her methods, while others crack under the pressure. Either way, “Dance Moms” uniquely captures this outrageous and dynamic interplay among teacher, student and parent as Miller commits herself to bring out the best in those students — and mothers — willing to dedicate themselves to be part of one of the best dance teams in the nation.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen it, let me put it this way, the teacher's nuts and the moms make the mothers on "Toddlers and Tiaras" look sane. Watching the one mom in the first episode blithely ignoring her clearly-miserable older daughter (older girl wants to quit dance and do cheerleading) was more warped than any of the kiddie beauty pageant shows.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh. Psycho stage Moms on drugs discover dance?

7. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

More like have very talented children and of course don't want to let them do anything else.

8. bluemountain

bluemountain Member

I liked the show, I liked the idea of looking at the extreme dancing moms and their trainer and making sure I am not going to do the same to my son (he is ten and loves dancing). It is hard to stop myself when the competitive side kicks in, but I am always trying to see and weigh things through his eyes - how important they are for him, not for me as his mom.

9. Griffico

Griffico Member

One of the other threads got diverted a little bit to dance moms so I thought I'd bump this one...

Haven't seen this week's yet, but I have to admit this show draws me in. It's interesting to see the slight contrasts between how people behave on camera and how they speak about the show just in interviews. For instance, in many of the actual shows you never see them really address the question, "If you hate her so much, why are you here?" And yet off camera I've read Chloe's mom say a few times that it's simply just that the girls are such good friends and that Chloe doesn't ever say that she doesn't want to stay. If anything, I'd be curious to go back two years and be a fly on the wall before the show, to see what it was like without the cursed pyramid and the producers' input.

These girls are obviously pretty talented and very nice to each other, and it's a lot of fun to root for them week in and week out, all drama aside.

10. Lifetimemom

Lifetimemom New Member

F*** Abby

Abby lee miller is a bully and she needs to be put in her place. Those moms really need to take their kids somewhere else.

11. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I can't help myself. I love it. I don't like that kind of drama in real life, but I love watching it on television. It's my guilty pleasure.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I can't watch it ...and trust me, I CAN watch most of that sort of thing when I am tired and want something mindless...but that one doesn't work for me....my children however, my gifted scholars, adore that show

13. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I can't watch this show, either. Makes me want to slap somebody.

14. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

The only thing more stupid than the show is the mothers on it. Makes me think plague is a good thing...

15. Griffico

Griffico Member

The last couple shows have made me increasingly uncomfortable... just the moms though. I kind of wish they'd play up the kids' dancing a little more; I really watch it to see them do their thing, not the drama between the parents.

16. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That's true...I would like to see more dancing. They are good!

17. danceronice

Peyton's mom needs to take a hint: if Crazy Candy-Apple Cathy thinks you're out of line? You need to step back. As Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "You want to go home and rethink your life."

I find it funny how much happier and relaxed the girls AND Abby are when the Moms aren't there causing drama. Last week I loved how proud Abby was of Makenzie just having a great practice (and that kid's adorable.)

18. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

Is it bad that this show makes me jealous? The stage moms are insane I'm so glad my parents never did that to me, but the opportunities these girls have and will have...wow...

19. danceronice

These particular kids, eh, they'll end up working dancers which is better than most studios, but the 'star' talk's just that (and clearly they're not headed for top-end ballet companies or ballroom greatness.)

But I get what you mean. I can't really blame my parents for A. not having THAT much money to ride with the big guns in a sport that takes more money than skating and ballroom combined B. giving me the genetics to be an androgynous waif as is necessary for skating, ballet, or hunter/jumper when you're female, or even C. not pushing me when I was clearly overhorsed and terrified...but on the other hand, what if they HAD made me ride whether I wanted to or not?

20. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

Very true, I'm not sure there really is much a space for dance stars that don't belong to an old style right now. But that's just me. I still wish I got to perform as often as they do though!