Dance Moms

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ash_sk8s, Jul 27, 2011.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Again, Abby does a pretty good job cranking out working dancers. You don't put your kid in class so they can go social dancing later (though you don't put them in a general studio like that if you want them in BALLET specifically)--they'll either quit or they wind up doing stuff like teaching, cruise shows, theatrical stuff.

And with these kids, hopefully cut off all contact with their shrieking harpy lunatic mothers.
  2. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Okay, so I'm watching the first season of Dance Moms on Hulu. I have to say, I find myself agreeing with Abby a lot. I wonder if this will change lol?
  3. danceronice

...Probably not.
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I couldn't stomach what I watched of it. It's everything that's wrong with the world, yet just what the world needs- and no, that doesn't make any sense anywhere except within my head. I know that this show and the mindset it encourages has turned one of our studio's mothers from the kindest person in the world to a total spoiled "brat", and the child is growing up with the same pushy sense of entitlement and lack of boundaries.

Kids need to figure themselves out. Even adults who think they need this behavior to learn don't flourish as well as they think they do under it, unless they don't mind turning into it themselves. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I picked a different path, I guess.

vulgar language removed

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  5. danceronice

I think the show's figured out that most viewers are not coming away with "Abby's a tyrant and the moms love their kids" but "These women are shrill harpy lunatics and it's amazing their kids stay with any teacher for any length of time.)
  6. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I'm really behind and only started watching the first season on Hulu last week. I finally saw an episode where I somewhat disagreed with Abby but she always seems to explain her point.
    I do see where she is pushy with the parents, but the parents seem oblivious to what their kids are actually doing. At one point she put the moms in a show and made them dance. One parent made the statement, oh I thought this was going to be easy :rolleyes:. Seriously, your kid is working her butt off to be able to do what you are pushing her to do and yo think its easy?