Dance pun/quote t-shirt: Your Ideas!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I like it better with the v. But it's a very cool suggestion. ;) I'm tempted...

Twilight Elena

2. alemana

alemana New Member

do people really feel like dancing is some evolved form of sex?

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

But of course. Why else, do you imagine, do certain churches ban certain forms of sex for fear that it might lead to dancing?

[grin]

4. alemana

alemana New Member

i think of that more of as projection and insecurity/fear than reality, truthfully.

5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I was kidding actually and quoting from a standard joke about how up-tight certain religious groups can be about such things as dancing. I've even watched it play out at a local mega-church where the singles groups had been using dance lessons and dancing as a great tool for enabling its members socially while the leaders of that church were so up-tight about dancing that not only had they blocked those dance lessons for years, but when the church hosted some Friday night country dances they only wanted there to be line dancing and no partner dancing, because they didn't want to chance singles dancing with marrieds or marrieds switching partners.

We hashed over this a few months ago. I chalk it up to ignorance and misunderstanding of what dancing is. And with that can certainly come what you mentioned.

On the cruise, a few people wore tshirts that said on front, "Dancing is better than sex, because ... " and then listed the reasons on back. Eg, multiple partners, you can do it all night, you have a drummer to help you keep the rhythm. [Slapping my forehead] I should have taken a photo!

Talking about substitutes for sex, my brother-in-law's wife's family dinner contribution would be a dessert she called "better-than-sex cake". When I first tasted it (it was good, but nowhere near that good), I whispered to my wife my condolances for her brother.

6. Medira

Medira New Member

:lol: I love it!

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

<public relations professional mode>
    Alemana and DWise1 prompted a thought: Perhaps we would do a disservice to dancing by wearing a t-shirt whose funny slogan helps to promulgate certain misunderstandings among people who are not involved in our hobby. In other words, we know that our hobby is not really about sex. Is it wise, even in jest, to do anything that might encourage the opposite view?
    </public relations professional mode>

8. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I did a quick google search. Was this the text on the Shirt?

DANCING is better than SEX because...
    if its bad, you can blame it on the floor
    you can watch other people do it in public
    there is no question about who leads
    a drummer helps with the rhythm
    you can have a variety of partners
    if you over-do it only your feet hurt

9. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I have this book (which I can find right now) with some background information to the movie Dirty Dancing. They explain somethings about the time of the setting and the styles of dancing. They say in there that dirty dancing at that time wasn't a prelude to sex for the teenagers (as feared by the adults) but a substitute. Can't say anything about the truth of this statement because that would be way before I was born.

10. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Well of course not. Sure it's got a lot of sexual innuendo, especially if you want it to. But it's simply funny to see the look on some dance people's faces when they see that quote. Some will laugh, some will be shocked, some will have knowing looks on their faces. It's all in the spirit of good fun.

To I_J: I wouldn't wear such a t-shirt outside the dance scene, as no one would get the jokes. So no harm done. :D

Twilight Elena

11. brujo

brujo New Member

I want royalties!

Salsa > Sex > Chocolate ?

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Psh. Why not? Way back when I was a music major (before the sun rose :lol:) I used to wear slogans like "I'm a fermata, hold me," and "I'm an accent, attack me." Nobody cared that non-music people were baffled. Actually, that kinda made wearing the slogans more fun. :cool:

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it. Praise Google!

14. pygmalion

Hallelujah! And amen. :)

15. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

A few years ago there was a monthly Lindy event in the Los Angeles area called "Satin Ballroom". It had to close down when the city doubled the rent on the hall they used. On their website they reprinted some articles from the 30's which complained about the bad influence Lindy dancing was having on the morals of the kids.

Either there or elsewhere I read a rebuttal that it's not the kids wearing themselves out on the dance floor that you need to worry about; it's the kids who aren't dancing but who've snuck off together to more private corners.

FWIW, I recall hearing of similar morality alarms sounding with the introduction of that scandalous dance, the waltz. Because of its "close embrace".

Le plus ça change, le plus la même chose.
    (the more things change, the more they remain the same)
    [disclaimer: Verzeihung, my French is very rusty and I wrote that from memory.]

16. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

On the cruise, we held our classes and private functions in the lounge all the way forward on the first deck, so (to my way of thinking) we felt the ship's motion more there than we would have amidships or even aft. So a lot of the time when our balance coming out of a turn wasn't quite right, we just blamed the ship.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

17. pygmalion

Ahh ha! :lol:

Sounds like you had fun. :D

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

How's about something like:

I break for Lindy!

Or if someone could word it better for hitting the breaks.

19. Rosa

Rosa New Member

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

It's true!

But back to dance slogans for t-shirts. Must get my thinking cap on... :-?

Rosa :)

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The CUA team many years back had T-shirts that said "Ballroom dancers: Natural-Born Leaders" or something close to that. Some of the girls on the team had handwritten "Back" in front of "Leaders." :)