Dance Shoe Information -- Index

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Dec 8, 2003.

1. myladyfae

myladyfae New Member

cl, do you buy custom shoes, or are you able to find your size at a supplier?

I found a place called http://www.steponedanceshoes.com that seems to do customs for a reasonable price...but I'm somewhat leery about buying from an online shop without at least finding some sort of testimonial to them first!

2. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Myladyfae,

Dance shoes should fit differently than normal street shoes. They need to fit tighter than street shoes. This creates a bigger problem with trying on dance shoes. I'll keep my eyes open for bigger size shoes.
    The capeziony.com site is still good, the biggest size they seem to carry is 10.5.
    I try on shoes till i find something that fits me. I have mail ordered lots of shoes and send back 99.9 % of shoes because they don't fit me.

BTW, you are not allowed to post active links to websites, you need to post without the http://www in the website name to make it a "passive" link.

3. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

I buy my shoes from Party time shoes in Tulsa. Extremely helpful staff, either in person or over the phone. My regular dance shoes are diamentes with a chromed sole. Works great and feels really good. I know Diamantes make larger sizes in some styles. Check out their site
    parti-time.com/catalog/index.php. As I understand it, this is not an active link, so is okay?

4. elegance

elegance New Member

I'm not sure if this will help but I notice you can get International Dance Shoes in up to a British size 8.

...I know that you are supposed to go 2-2.5 sizes smaller than your American size to find your British size, but my street size is 9-9.5 and I have never bought anything larger than a 6 for dance shoes, and I can even go 5.5 for latin (my foot is between narrow and regular also).

So it's a long shot, but the 8, especially in an open toe, may fit.

5. Medira

Medira New Member

I'm wondering if there's anybody in the Toronto area who knows of a good retailer of ballroom shoes. My old tapless tap shoes are only going to get me so far and I don't want to order online without knowing what the shoe is going to fit like and feel like.

6. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Have you ordered any shoes from the website yet? I'd love a pair of custom made dance shoes so that it'd fit me perfectly well! I ordered a pair of custom made AT shoes, closed toe. I never bought closed-toe shoes before because I was afraid that they'd pinch my feet. And every pair that I tried on hurt my feet. My custom made AT shoes are actually the first pair of closed toe shoes that I can dance for a few hours and not feel that I need to chop my feet off and put them in freezer!

7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Wasn't there a thread around here on the best shoes for wide feet? I've been trying to find it (I need a new pair!) but have been unsuccessful - anybody know where that is?

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oy! My brain is in DF overload. :oops: :lol: But yes. There was a thread like that. :doh: Where was it? Thinking ... :?

9. pygmalion

LOL. Just for the record, searching for "wide and feet" doesn't work. 1222 matches. :shock: Guess I'd better search my memory banks. :lol: :lol:

10. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Take a break, Pyg! You alone do not have to answer everybody's questions. :wink:

11. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Yeah - neither does "wide and shoes" or "wide and feet and shoes" - just for the record. :)

12. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

13. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

ahh - thanks!! :notworth:

14. elegance

elegance New Member

:oops: :oops:

I'd like to go the other way and ask for suggestions for a standard shoe that would work for a narrow heel but regular foot width.

I've done a search but can't find anything pertaining to standard shoes. It's not as difficult to find shoes for latin anyway because of the open toe.

I was thinking that a round toe box would probably help. Do certain brands have narrower heels?

Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks.

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I have a narrow heel also. I used to wear Supadance satin pointy court shoes and I can't say they were comfortable! To me, satin is never comfy. I have less experience with different brands in Standard as opposed to Latin shoes.
    But, I must say*, I love my particular model of round toe Capezio courts in leather. The lines look like Audrey Hepburn. And they're the most comfortable closed toe dance shoe I've worn. I wear them for social dancing. They seem to fit my foot well, so they might fit you. And you might be able to try them on if you find a big Dance Supply store.

*though many disagree about Capezio.

16. elegance

elegance New Member

thanks chachachacat!

I've never tried capezio but I will look out for it. I was thinking maybe a shoe with a strap would also help, even though I don't like the look so much.

17. Lrn2dnc

Lrn2dnc New Member

Had a student ask me if I had any suggestions on where to go for dance heels above 3 inches.

At a comp a while ago, I remember seeing a new company that seemed to specialize in or at least prominantly promote higher heels.

So far this is all I've found

http://www.championdanceshoes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=73

Any one with knowledge or experience on this?

18. pygmalion

Hi Lrn2dnc. Welcome. :D What are you looking for? Any source for high heeled shoes? Or the specific company that specializes in them? I don't know. But I have a few vague recollections of seeing very high heeled shoes as one of the options in a couple places. I wouldn't mind spending a little time googling for dance shoes. 8) I just need to know what you're looking for. :)

19. pygmalion

And oh yeah. What kind of shoes. Super high heeled tango shoes are pretty easy to find. I'm assuming you're looking for Latin shoes. Is that right? 8)

20. pygmalion

Hmm. Dance shoes with higher-than-three-inch heels aren't easy to find. You're right. The only place I've found so far requires a special order. Elegance Dance Shoes (at dancehappy.com) has two 3.5 inch heels available by special order; they'll make any shoe in any heel or fabric for you. But I didn't see 3.5 inch heels in stock for any of their shoes.