Dance teacher salary in a studio

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

We do 45 minutes, you're right, and I mentioned we get paid by lesson. It's still not good enough, though, is it? 4€ is about 5$ per lesson.

Twilight Elena
  2. lynn

lynn New Member

TE, a couple of questions, I have no idea what the standard of living in Greece is, but what's the minimum wage around there? Also, say if you work an 8-hour day but have no student, do you still get paid for showing up? As sunderi mentioned, some studios are structured so that even when you have no students (which is common for new teachers), you still have a flat rate to fall back on whereas there are places that you're only paid when you teach.
  3. Twilight_Elena

When you don't teach, you do R/D (reception desk) and get paid 2,5€ per hour. I don't know of a flat rate. To tell you the truth, I am going to have a talk with my teacher because the rates are so ridiculous I can't believe it's legal.

Twilight Elena
  4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I've :google:ed and found this page:
    http://www.eiro.eurofound.eu.int/2005/07/study/tn0507101s.html

It says the national minimum wage in Greece is EUR 25.01/day. Based on an 8-hour day, that's EUR 3.126/hour.
  5. Twilight_Elena

Thanks, Mac. :D Wow, it's still pretty low, don't you think? I mean even if our private lesson wages are above minimum, our R/D rate is below. Would really like to rub that in boss's face...

Twilight Elena
  6. alemana

alemana New Member

surprised you didn't know this before you agreed to enter the teacher training program. it would be the first question i asked.
  7. lynn

lynn New Member

Oh, my goodness, that does sound awfully low.... i'm not sure how new teachers survive the first few months...or years!!

Maybe you should also ask your teacher can you just show up for the hours that you have students (ie, skip the 2,5€/hr reception duty - i'm sure you've got more important things to do with your time as an university student)!
  8. Twilight_Elena

Long story, but I'm not officially on teacher training just yet. I'll make a point to book an appointment with the boss, see what he has to say about many things.

Twilight Elena
  9. lynn

lynn New Member

If you're not in the program yet, be sure to read the contract in detail before putting your name down!! Oh, and bring a magnifying glass with you, you might need it to decipher those teeny tiny prints!!
  10. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

Those tables show a really big disparity between different nations. It's all over the place from 0.36 to 8something per hour. In case anyone cared, it's $5.15 in the US. lol, I'll bet you it's more in canada.
  11. Twilight_Elena

I am cornering my teacher first thing tomorrow. She's going to tell me EVERYTHING I need to know.

Twilight Elena
  12. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, maybe you arm yourself with some truth serum from the chem labs :mrgreen:!
  13. Twilight_Elena

Don't worry, she's not the franchise teacher stereotype. Actually she told me once that we shoudl get together and she would tell me all about teaching and dirty players in the franchise and other stuff.

Twilight Elena
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not going to get specific but generally speaking, most instructors I know are struggling....re:$$$...just like most everyone else I know
  15. lynn

lynn New Member

it's not uncommon for new teachers to be paid the bare minimum. I think it's because the studios think they're getting so much benefit out of it (free practice time, free coaching....free etc....)
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not just the new ones
  17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good luck with that, sweetie. From what little I know, dance teachers, other than independents with an established clientele, are generally not making much cash.

That said, at least in the early years, a franchise that has structured training can be a very good place for a new teacher, IMO. (If you can get enough teaching hours to live through the first year or two, until you have some skills, some students and a certification or two. :cool: )
  18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Well, look at it this way. Those of us in most other professions, had minimum wage jobs while we PAID to go to school to get our better paying jobs. You'll be working for minimum wage and get your training for free (well, in exchange for indentured servitude for a while, haha). At one point, I was paying my university for the privilege of working 32 hours per week at a preceptorship so that I could eventually get paid for doing it. It's paying your dues, we all have to do it somehow.
    It's important to know the financial ramifications of all this, but believe me when I say, never let finances be the deciding factor in what you do for a living if you've got the choice. More money will not make up for being miserable for the majority of your waking hours. Happiness with what you do will make being poor for a while tolerable.
  19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. Just re-read my post from last night. Wow. Was I ever cryptic. lol. What I'm saying, T_E. is that, low pay or not, a studio that will train you is a good place to start.

Yeah, even as a beginner teacher, you may be able to find students. Heck. Even I have people asking me to teach them. Egad! :lol:

But, in a good studio environment, you can get the training you need to build a decent resume and eventually become a much better teacher. Yeah. You'll be broke for a while, but, if ever do go independent, you'll have the credentials to attract a better quality (better paying?) caliber of student.

Hmm. I hope that's clearer. :oops:
  20. lynn

lynn New Member

Speaking of credentials, maybe Canada is a little different, but our chain studios have their own credentials which is somewhat different than what the province offers. So in a sense, eventhough you'll build up a reputation within the chain environment, unless you compete outside (which is probably prohibited by the studio anyways), it may be difficult once you decide to go independent....