Dance teacher salary in a studio

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Feb 26, 2006.

1. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Ah. My mistake.
  2. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I've heard a few people give good reviews of this program...I've always been curious what they learned in all those classes??
  3. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

More like what DON'T you learn. It covers everything. You learn how to teach on so many levels. You will learn how to explain and dance all the different elements of each pattern in each dance. You will memorize routines for exams. You will take written tests so you learn how to use manuals. You will practice oral skills with questions through explanation and demonstration. You must learn both the lead and follow sides. You will mock group classes. You will learn alternative ways to teach things so there isn't just one way to explain something. Overall it is exactly what a trainee needs in order to feel good about teaching on a bronze level. The program covers 17 dances. Smooth, Rhythm I, Rhythm II, and Nightclub. Tuition runs anywhere from 4-500 a month. Some studios have condensed classes to test out sooner. The average class will meet for 4 hours a week.
  4. yes that certification program is intense I went through the Rhythm Bronze 1 section when i used to work at a studio. I am a trained dancer (used to compete for over 10 years in international style in my youth) so it was pretty easy to get through....However I know many people who have a social dance level who join the program end up quitting or failing. They find it to be too much work and too intense....
  5. DrivenSubstance

DrivenSubstance New Member

Get qualifications and shop around, I know here (Melbourne, Australia) some studios pay up to $45 an hour but from what I've heard the most going rate is $25-$30 AUD an hour.

Hope this helps
  6. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

how is it possible that teacher gets 8 USD when a lesson costs something like 100 USD ?

are you serious?
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

When I started I was paid 5.
  8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That's certainly not unique to the ballroom world. One of my first IT jobs in college, customers were billed 75-125/hr for work I did, of which I think I saw 8 at the time
  9. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

I gotta think that a significant cut goes to the franchisee.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have never worked for a franchise.
  11. suburbaknght

Assuming $75 for a private lesson.

$6 to $25 goes to the instructor depending on payment structure, expertise, etc. Let's be generous and assume the instructor gets $15. $60 remaining.

8% ($6) goes to franchise fees. $54 remaining

$30 goes to support staff (manager, receptionist, etc.). $24

That $24 is split up among operating costs, including paying for the facility, maintenance, music fees, insurance, legal retainers, advertising, and free training (materials such as manuals and videos, coaches, etc.). If the studio is providing a quality facility to its instructors, bringing them students, and providing high-level training, this is worthwhile, particularly for new instructors. If the payscale is graduated or if the instructor is being tracked to open up his or her own franchise studio, it may continue to be worthwhile.

On the other hand, one can understand why many former franchise instructors have said, "I prefer to keep the other 80% of fees. I'll rent floor space or open up my own studio. I'll purchase my own liability insurance. I'll do my own advertising. I'll be my own secretary."
  12. If you are talking about a franchise... from my knowledge the usual rate for private lessons comes out to something like $100-$140 per lesson not $75 at many places. That includes privates and parties usually though.

And the $30 out of every lesson for staff? Sounds a bit too high.

The numbers also depend on how big the studio is and how many lessons are taught every week.

13. suburbaknght

Your mileage may vary. For a franchise in a big city, yes $140 is not an unusual per lesson fee. If it's in a rural or low-income area, I've actually seen down to $65.

The $30 for staff is between a receptionist at $10/hr and a manager at $20. All salaries, including instructors, are estimates of averages after teaching bonuses and sales commissions are taken into account. Again, your mileage may vary. And remember, the staff needs to be paid whether there's a student taking a paid lesson or not.

Other variations may be whether instructors get paid a flat hourly rate, only when they teach, or a low hourly rate and then a per lesson rate on top of that. I've had to estimate a lot of variables here.

Right away it's obvious why franchises charge so much and why they have their reputations: salary really eats away profit margins, and suddenly the difference between the red and the black is just a few lessons.
  14. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Also what about commissions for competition entires. I would guess that a good instructor is going to make good dollars at competition. The franchise I was a part of sometime back did 4 comps a year and the instructors were really selling thoes entries... I remember one competition I was purchasing a latin dress from instructor and told her we coud not do the normal amount of entires because some of my fun money was going towards the dress.... She immediatley offered to defer the payment of the dress a few months so that I could do more entires...
  15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Not to mention top teacher awards if they have enough students at a comp. Those can definitely add up too
  16. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Interesting. A former teacher, from whom I took private lessons, once told me she didn't "get paid squat" for teaching private lessons. She never did say what her cut was though. At that time, lessons were about $50 for 50 minutes and she was a studio employee (indy studio) so she did not have to rent floor time or pay any fees. She was paid nothing if she assisted with a group class - her pay was in the form of "training". She did get paid if she ran a group class, but again, I don't know how much.

Re: benes and vacations. Some economists are predicting that we will ALL be independent contractors one day. You want vac? No pay. You want insurance? Go buy it on the Web...
  17. mop6686

mop6686 Member

I live in San Francisco. I worked at a franchise that was charging $130/lesson and giving the teachers $10/hour. I now work at a studio that charges $70/lesson and I get $25.

There is a studio in SF that charges between $45 and $55 depending on the credentials of the teacher, but I'm not sure how much the teachers actually get.
  18. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Expense!

After reading how much you pay for a private lesson, I will never ever complain about the cost of dancing again!

Here in NZ we pay $60 for a full one hour lesson. We dont pay to enter competitions other than the door entry fee that all spectators etc pay!

My partner and I have 2hrs 15 mins of private lessons every week and it costs us $135!!!!

Feeling lucky right now!
  19. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF MissKitty! :)

Is that $60NZ or $60US?
  20. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

That is $60 NZD, so it seems we get it cheap down here!

Latin technique class is $12.50
    Competitor practice night is $10.00

Not sure how much our teacher makes, it is her studio, but I dont think she gets much :( Does it for the love of dance!

She is awesome :)