Dance Tips for Men and Women

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by danceguy, May 31, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

For a guy like the one you describe I would have to agree...

How about a dancer who can dance to the music, catching the breaks and the changes in music, but does not know the basic? So he will lead you through moves, but you will truly have to just follow. That's what I did at the swing dance tonight. :)
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I can't remember ever turning down a dance. :wink:
  3. Sabor

Sabor New Member

for ladies..

no jewerly please.. it hurts when it peels the skin off

fix hair to reasonable length by any means to avoid slapping partners and innocent passersby/bystanders to oblivion

smell nice, look good and feel even better

dont sleaze on me unless u know i'll welcome it

no spasms when styling or shining pls... i worry for your health

dont anticipate or expect next moves cause the lead should not be programmed .. instead focuss on connection and feel and u'll be just fine

dont back lead.. it ruins the whole flow

salsa is sexy.. so how'bout some salsa huh :wink:
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Great tips, Sabor! I always wear jewlery, though, but not the kind that will lash, scrape or puncture the skin of my partner! I agree with what the men in Mexico say about their ladies; "A woman without jewelry is like a night sky without stars".
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, depends on the jewlery... I have to say that the next time my hand gets cut up from some ring or another I will not be keeping that woman on my dance card.... :(
  6. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Regarding getting turned down ... when this has happened, usually there has been a good reason, and that's ok when there is.

Although one woman turned me down, can't remember the reason, and then danced with someone else. This was the second time I got turned down by her in two weeks, and she seemed to be doing this to several guys. Word got around this was going on and her number of dance partners got much shorter. She found herself not dancing as often as before. It took me many, many weeks before I decided to ask her a third time. Now she doesn't turn me down, and pays particularly close attention to thanking me after we have completed our dancing.

If asked, and I tend to be the one asking, I will turn someone down if I need a rest, and will always give them a "rain check" for later.
  7. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Dance Tips for Men & Women

I'm sorry Squirrel..men will never ever invite other guys to dance with. I know you wrote you're not joking..but I hope you are.

Boy..we need the RetroSexual Movement for men bad!!! Scary!
  8. tj

tj New Member

Hmm - I don't do this - but certain songs are really good with certain ladies. I will try to seek them out when a particularly inspiring song is on.

I have this tendency to start having a conversation with my partner when I don't particularly like a song. (Then again, even during songs that I do like, I'll probably talk at least a little!)

Re:rejection/turning down a guy
    I'd say it depends on the local scene. I get turned down every now and then here in Seattle, and it's not a big deal. I will say that it happens quite a bit more here than in other scenes - for example, in Vancouver a few months ago, a woman turned me down, and I didn't care - I just moved on and asked other women to dance. After all, she didn't know me at the time, and a complete stranger could be a bad dancer for all she knew. Here it is, months later and she (who was in town visiting last night) was talking about how bad she felt because of it. It was nice of her, but rather unnecessary, IMHO.
  9. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Ah, hah! Reply time!

1. =O_O= Attack of the Killer Jewelry! I wear bracelets and my beloved Dragon necklaces -- my necklaces are all chained very close to my neck, and when possible, tucked under my shirt, just in case they might catch on something. (In particular: my Penndragon necklace -- two dragons wrapped around a sword, which *actually* happens to have a fairly sharp point for being dull! 8) )
    I try to keep in mind that my the person I'm dancing with *probably* didn't ask me to dance so that he could perform stunts worthy of James Bond, Indiana Jones, etc., just to escape injury from my jewelry.

2. :lol: :lol: :lol: Since I have hair down to the middle of my back, I can totally understand this one! What I find funny about doing this is that I put all of my hair up into a little bun, but as soon as I'm finished, I let it down, so my hair comes cascading back down! It's sorta like, " :shock: :shock: I have hair again!!!!"

4. :twisted: Sabor, you bad boy! :wink: :lol:

5. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. YAY, SALSA!!!!!! Sabor, *grins* wanna dance? :wink: (Note that I will fully take you up on your answer whenever I get into Cairo!!!!!) Of course, if you say no, I'll dissolve in a fit of tears, and then you shall be forever labeled as the "Bad Guy" for making cute, lil' ol' me cry! *cough cough* :wink: :lol: :lol:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

(PS- It's when good posts like this get started that I kick myself for coming into them late -- but I suppose that's better than not at all!)
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: Dance Tips for Men & Women

I do, time and time again. And if you read my posts you will see that I'm almost constantly harping on it. All those whom I know who do AT talk about the usefullness of learning both roles to really learn to dance better...

Also, here is a quote from w w w .dance-addiction.com. This philosophy is shared by many dance teachers...

11. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Interesting philosophy. I think it would definitely be fun, and potentially helpful, if I learned the "lead" role someday, but I'll save that for when I have the extra time and money. :)

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

now how on earth,sea & sky could i ever refuse a dance with u sweetheart?.. i dont think that its even remotely conceivable that u can be refused by anyone anywhere 8) .. and if that happens by some miracle, i can safely assure u that whoever he is will immediately hold the title of 'Most stupid person of all time' in the Guiness Book of Recrds :wink:
  13. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

How about guys wearing a wrist watch? My hair is long and very thick, and I've had a few incidents involving the leader's wrist watch getting tangled up in my hair (ouch!).
    As my spins get better, I'm also noticing the lashing effect more. :lol: Yet when I say I'm thinking about getting my hair cut short, guys object vehemently. Go figure. :?
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

When I went dancing at several discos in Mexico, ALL the woman had lovely, long hair and it didn't seem to be bothering the guys one bit!
  15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

by all means keep your hair long and beautiful.. but.. if u dance LA style .. or you just spin alot .. no need to cut it .. just manage it better, tie it someway or another..

as far as bracelets, wrist watch, big rings or any bulky stuff on your forearm and fingers.. even big dangly earings and necklaces.. loose it for the dance duration and thats for both sexes.. better safe than sorry.. besides bulky jewelry far as i'm concerned is a turn-off in any situation.. femininity is a beautiful thing.. and to me that is synonomous with fine supple delicateness.. dance like a breath of fresh air ladies.. we are the poets and u are my poem.. feel like one.. look like one.. it never fails :wink:
  16. KevinL

KevinL New Member

I regularly ask guys to dance but only if there are extra guys, or if I haven't had a chance to follow all night long. Doing the follower side is fun, in part because I find it so challenging to give up control. It's easier to find a leader among the swing crowd, but not impossible among the ballroom community. I haven't tried with the salsa crowd.

Of course it's easier for me to get guys to dance with me since I'm a teacher.

Kevin
  17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ditto . . . not regularly, but often enough. It was very difficult the very first time a guy asked me to dance . . . I didn't know which part to do, so, I started leading, and he followed . . . then we swithched about half-way through the song . . . he was a much better follower than I.

This past weekend at an event, I did a two-step as the a follower . . . I had never danced as a follower to that dance, but it worked out fine!

I would challenge any leader to learn a few basics to the dances that they like and do . . . it will give you some insight as to what the "other person" is getting . . .
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. It's a huge eye opener, even with just the basic basics.
  19. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Aww, you're so nice to me! *hugs you and purrs contentedly* It's so good to be loved! =^__^=

'Course... *strokes her chin* ...It might be pretty fun to make it into the Guiness Book of World Records... :wink: *weighs the options* ...Naaaa, I'd rather dance!!! :D

20. Sakura

Sakura New Member

=O_O= Owie! I know the feeling of getting my hair attatched to people, people's clothing, etc... It hurts! I need to lecture my hair on it's bad habits of eating people and things again, apparently! =^_~= *laughs* Lashing effects are fun -- :? maybe not when you're the lead though!

Sabor, you're such a winner with words! :D :D If someone ever refuses a dance with you, I've got no idea why!!! :D *grins and sighs happily* You're so awesome; I'm glad you're my buddy!
    More people should share your philosophies on dance: I'm sure we'd *all* start looking *much* better on the dance floor if we did! 8) And we all know looking good is feeling good, is dancing good. And in the end, that's what we're all after anyway, right?