dance.zsconcepts down?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by LittleLil, Apr 9, 2013.

1. LittleLil

LittleLil New Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking for results from some competitions that use this site and noticed that no new content has been posted recently. Is the site currently down?
  2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

The person who runs the site usually takes a while to post up results, and many comps have been switching over from using dance.zsconcepts to o2cm. But its personal choice.

On top of which I believe he's been pretty busy with Dance Legends.
  3. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Smidra is right - i have been pretty busy. i've actually had to turn away a few competitions :( I hope BallroomRegistrar will start hosting some very soon. Also, after Dance Legends, a lot of results will show up on the site :)
  4. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

okay, who says public shame doesn't work :) I got 4 comps uploaded. I have a few more but i need to get a bit more DL work done and sleep.
    stash and mindputtee like this.
  5. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

Glad to see comps going up! :) Just going to mention that I would love to see the RPI results go up.

Also, you said you've had to turn down comps? Does that happen a lot? I'm from UMass and we're in the midst of planning our first comp for the fall. We were planning on using your system, and should be getting in contact with you shortly about that, but is there some kind of specific time period ahead of time we should do that by? Our comp is going to be on November 3rd of next year, so I assume this is plenty of time, but if there's a large risk of getting turned away then I can make sure we work on it even sooner rather than later.
  6. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

If there's enough notice, I can handle it. Spring is much harder than fall because of Dance Legends
  7. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Hmm....DCDI weekend :(
    stash likes this.
  8. UMASSshoesandcostumes

DCDI is far enough away from us in Massachusetts that we are not terribly concerned with a ton of competitors who would be in the pool to come to UMass to compete to go to DCDI instead, or vice versa. The people who are good enough that they're interested in going all the way to DC for a comp are not generally the people who want to go to competitions that are just getting on their feet because first year competitions don't normally tend to have a ton of upper level dancers.
  9. caw

caw Active Member

Just checking up on the status of this - anyone know what's going on or when it'll be back up? No competitions have been posted since march.

Also, the only "contact us" email address provided, registration@dance.zsconcepts.com, doesn't work -_-
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Um, you could PM IlyZislin here.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I noticed that DCDI marks are up, but UConn, which was before it isn't yet. Anyone know why?
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Dcdi peeps are better about sending their stuff to ily while uconn peeps are not
  13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

Also, a couple comps from last year(including the Arnold and OSU) never got put up. Is there a chance that something happened and the data was lost? Scoring systems, to the best of my knowledge, are fairly taxing to run and crashes are quite common.
  14. UMASSshoesandcostumes

I know RPI never went up last year either-- what I heard was that their scrutineer was unreliable about getting their results in, and so they ended up having to do everything by hand and post it on their website, however I am unsure of the accuracy. Perhaps something like that happened.
  15. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

the biggest issue is that the results need to be in a certain file format and if that doesnt happen there is little ily can do to fix it other than reput all the results by hand which is time consuming for him... he has a life too you know, as in a full time job and family, so its just easier to do it right from the start, on top of which I think he helps with organizing dcdi so he can make sure the results are in the correct format from the getgo
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand that, I was just wondering if something like that happened and I should stop checking back for them.
  17. caw

caw Active Member

I talked to OSU a month after the comp, and they said they had sent the information in and they were waiting for the website to put it up. I also PMed IlyZislin, got a quick response, then expressed my disappointment, and never heard from him again. Furthermore, until DCDI, no comp for the past 7 months had been posted. To top it off, it often said comps were "ongoing" months after they were completed.If you ask me, it's too much to say that wasn't the fault of the website. There hadn't been any problems before April 2013, and then all of a sudden this. Either it's a conspiracy among dance competitions to sabotage their own results that they paid for, or the website guy wasn't doing his job.Sure, he may have a life and other things to attend to, but it is his business to provide a means for people to register for competitions and then to display the results. He is being paid for that, and only providing half of his services. This sort of service is just deplorable.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Tell us how you really feel...
  19. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

As I mentioned, ily has told me previously that the results need to be sent to him in a specific format, something like a pdf he can't work with, he has a job and a family outside of dance.zsconcepts and so he doesnt have the time to reput in all the marks if they are sent in the incorrect format. Think of how long it takes to put the marks in in the first place, it sometimes causes the comp to be held up and so extra general dances are done. So why should ily have to do it when he prob told the organizers in the first place what kind of format it needs to be in.
  20. twirl2010

twirl2010 Member

as a side note, the comps during May-Sept like Yankee, Manhattan, Empire do not have online registration (kind of stuck in the stone ages of faxing entries) and dance.zsconcepts is mainly a collegiate/amateur comp website. These comps do not run in the summer and the ones that were in April 2013 had their own registration system or use o2cm (see Harvard Invitational 2013)