dancepartner dot com

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sandcastles, May 31, 2007.

1. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

I recently signed up on this site looking for a dance partner, not a date. In most cases not even getting a "no thanks" when attempting to contact someone.

Has anyone used this site successfully? Does anyone know of any other sites besides this and ballroomdancer?

Looking for Int'l Latin & Std.... male, 38-50, 5'7 to 5'10", Milwaukee/Madison/Chicago area. I compete at Bronze but showcase with Silver and Gold.

thanks!:p

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nah, but when the offers come rolling in I'll take all of your leftovers for standard

3. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

deal !!

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I used it successfully to find someone to go dancing with in another town when I was traveling--might have helped that it was short-term, no commitments, so he didn't have much to lose. And we've stayed friends.

No luck finding a permanent partner, but some others have.

5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

mmm....Sandcastles we usually allow ads for partners only under the Events, Announcements and Ads forum. Please post an ad there if you'd like; you are welcome to continue discussing other's experiences with the dance partner site here though.

6. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I used that site back when I was looking for a partner and didn't find it to be useful at all. Every inquiry I received was either looking for a relationship or something just really didn't sound right with it.... like supposed top pros from other countries who couldn't wait to relocate to this country to be my dance partner or who wanted to arrange to relocate me to their location to dance with them. (Keep in mind I had listed myself as a silver level follower not able to relocate) ballroomdancers dot com and the MIT partner search proved to be much more helpful and produced more realistic potentials than dancepartner did.

7. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Actually, what really annoyed me about dancerparter.com is that you can't really talk to the other person if you're not a Gold member. You can only send some custom messages which are ridiculous.

T_E

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I used DP.COM it for years in a rather desperate search. The contacts I got were almost all looking for social dancing (at the best) or sex (at the worst) even when I was listed as only interested in competitive ballroom. There were a number of seemingly good prospects there but none in my area and I was eventually convinced that there really was no one even close to my goals. I have found a partner but we met at a social dance club frequented by a few competetive dancers - probably the way that most people find someone. I think the local dance scene usually has a far better 'knowledge base' than DP.COM - not that the latter may be useful for some.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

OK, so reading for comprehension isn't a quality they screen for in DP.com members...

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I don't comprehend.... :p

11. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Understood. I am more interested in other's experiences with various sites. Especially before I spend any more money. Probably should have asked before I paid,huh? LOL

12. 9dncr

9dncr New Member

That really is annoying~ I just recently logged in also and it leads you to believe that anyone can contact you and visa versa but it is just a ploy to make you pay a ton for a slim possibility. Sometimes you meet the best people through other aquaintances / fate. Its like when people are looking for a date and cant get one, just when they give up and say they don't care anymore all the men come knocking on their door and life falls into place! Ok I am way off base now... Didn't mean to ramble on a Saturday night! :cheers:

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Perhaps this thread can expand to partner finding? Maybe some clues from how we all found our own partners. The way I found my current one was I met him a year ago at a social club where he danced with a regular partner - though at the time they did not have a formal partnership. I talked to him and discovered that he had competed some years before and was still a bit interested. After a couple of dances I mentioned that if he ever wanted to compete again to please keep me in mind. Almost a year later he did exactly that - contacted me to try out. We are making great progress and hope to start competing in a month or so. Thus, I found this parther by simply telling him I was looking and then he found me.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

I've never had a single person reply to anything I've sent through dancepartner dot com's basic (free) system, not even to say "sorry no thanks." I can't tell if it's because no one is even getting my messages, or if it's because everyone in my area already knows me and isn't interested in dancing with me. I suspect it's the latter.

It's funny, dancepartner dot com sends me updates of automatic matches from time to time -- and over the years it's matched me with three of my ex-partners.

I tried ballroomdancers dot com once, and got emails from pros who were looking for pro/am students, someone who wanted to do Theater Arts, and a young guy from Italy who was dying to relocate (like he'd want to dance with a Novice-level 40-year-old who was married at the time). This was despite saying I was an Amateur looking for someone to do Over-35 Novice & Pre-Champ Standard.

15. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

16. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

See, it works!

I've found a couple prospective partners because they posted ads on dancepartner dot com and I recognized their picture or description so I was able to contact them by other means.

17. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

Basic rule: use the same username there and on other sites. Make sure something meaningful happens if your username is googled.

18. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Good advice.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think it is interesting to compare male and female experiences on dancepartner.com. I think there are between 2 and 3 times as many women registered and that many of the men (sorry guys) can't be bothered or simply do not need to reply to the contacts they get. On the other hand, the women (see above and my own experience) are desperate. I did communicate with a number of men over the two years I was on (intermittent paid memberships) but the experiences were often very bad. One of the worst is a pro who pretends to be an amateur in order to get pro-am customers (as above but deceitfully). I caught him out by googling his sign-on name - which he then changed (he did not realize that it canges also on his previous correspondence). Ugh.

h

20. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

WOW! Never even thought of that. That is bad. Someone did contact me but just sent his phone number. Now I'm hesitant to contact him because he's a LONG way away. Leads me to believe not looking for dancing.