dancepartner dot com

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sandcastles, May 31, 2007.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I think a lot of people join for free with the idea that, if they see or get a message from someone they are really interested in, then they'll pay to join and get in touch. I don't think free members can can even say "sorry, no thanks" so I wouldn't take it personally that they don't reply.

I once wrote up a very detailed message outlining my dance interests, level, and goals, and some ideas of what kind of training I'd want to do as a partnership (including what I was firm about and what I was open to being flexible about). I joined the "gold" level for a month so anyone, including free members, could respond. I sent this message to about 12 guys and got four responses, all quite genuine. Two had changed the focus of their dancing since they had put up their profile (one had gotten sucked into the vortex of AT :D ;)) and the other two were willing to meet for tryouts. They didn't work out for various reasons, but I don't consider the experience a failure.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd say it's worth "saving up" a bunch of prospects, and then getting a limited membership and blowing out a bunch of messages to all of them in one shot. If anything pans out you can take your commo with them off-site when your membership expires.
  3. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

I did get a response from someone in my area interested in dancing. However, he does Zumba??? I thought that was an exercise dance??? Has no International training whatsoever. Now I have to be polite and say "not interested".
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You may want to save the text to your 'not interested' note. You are going to need it.....
  5. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

LOL :headwall:
  6. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Regarding dancepartner dot com: I found it useful to get a "Silver" membership, which is about 15 bucks. You can email people but they can't email back (unless they are paying). But, you can email your other contact information (if you are comfortable with that) and that has worked out for me pretty well.
  7. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

I suggested he try a group class in Rumba and Waltz at a local studio (not mine). He actually sounded sort of wacko in his email. Talked about how he has been fantasizing about dancing and being in the spotlight. Yikes!
  8. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I agree. that happened to me a lot too. Prof dancers that would claim to be champions or this or that would try to plan to relocate me to their location and even offered to pay rent or let me live with them without knowing much about me or my dancing. It just didnt seem right to me. I'm sure some people have had luck but I was a little creeped out by some of those people. The I finally found someone who danced at UCI who was legitimately looking for a partner and he was only a Gold Member for a little and his subsciption was up so we could only send messages back and forth saying, "Hi! I am interetsed in dancing with you" or soomething like that. Eventually we couldnt send each other our e-mail or anything so they scripted messages couldnt say anything more except if you would like to talk to me become a Gold Member. Very Very frustrating!
  9. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Really? Can you send them your e-mail even of they're not a silver or gold member?
  10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Yes, you can e-mail anyone but they can not reply - except for a few set lines ( such as, I would like to hear more; I am not intereted at this time.). I would wait until I got one of those before daring to send my e-mail address. With a gold membership you can write to them and they can write back, regardless of their status. Its quite clever really (from a marketing standpoint) since it actually works. I would love to see what fraction of teh gold members were male of female though....
  11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I brought this back up again, because I just joined the site too! Funny thing is that a couple instructors I know are on it lol. I'm like... interesting. Although, I think one is an old profile though. I for one am looking for a partner as to which I'll probably talk to my instructor about. I really want to get back into dancing, and I think it would be much cheaper if I did get a partner. Plus... I would like to use a couple of coaches elsewhere, and I would have someone to travel with. I don't care really about anything else.

I just think that the problem is, I'm not looking to hook up with anyone. And a lot of them say they want to hook up with their dance partner. I appreciate them being honest though. But I'm like, no. That's not what I want, and I made that clear in my profile. And I'm not really one to go to clubs at night with my work schedule the way it is, so I'm not looking to social dance really either even though I do now and then at group functions.

But I would like to start competing, and I would like to get into performance shows as well. I can compete with my instructor of course, but still. I'd like to do more than that. And I'd like to be able to go off to different places if he can't as well. Things like that.

But we'll see. If it turns out to be more like a dating site, then I'll have to explore something new. It was interesting reading this thread though. I had remembered it, but I forgot what people said about this dance site.
  12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

As a silver member you can send messages, but the recipients can't read them, unless they also become silver members.

In other words, silver membership is pointless. If you are going to spend money, get a gold membership. Otherwise you are wasting what you've spent on a silver one.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you message them your (safe) e-mail address, they can certainly contact you even if they are only silver members...
  14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

really? Thats a change I think - indicating that they are trying to squeeze eve more out of this. Time they were erased by FMDC. [Free market Dance Competition]
  15. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Why didn't you say so back when I was living in Madison and looking for a partner?

Actually, is there anyway we can get a sub forum for people looking for partners?
  16. Chris Stratton

But if you are a silver member, your message can't even be opened by free-member recipients. They just sit there blinking, unread and unreadable in the inbox.
  17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Spratt, i've actually seen quite a few instructors on there. I know that two studios here (well, same owners, so one set of owners) actually told their instructors to post up there. haven't asked the owners what their exact tthoughts are on doing this, but suspect they're looking at it as way of finding not only partners for their teachers for the pro entries at comps, but also as a way of finding new teachers, aprticularly guys, who already know something of what they're doing.
  18. Chris Stratton

may also be a way of finding students...
  19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's interesting thoughts. You both sound correct. But I'm not looking for an instructor to teach me. Hopefully, I've made that clear in my profile. Not that I wouldn't want to learn from them, and I probably could if they were more experienced than I was. But I was hoping to find someone more of my level of interest than an instructor for I'd almost have to feel like I would have to pay him as my instructor if this were the case.
  20. Chris Stratton

I suspect that some instructors are on there in the hopes of finding students who will in fact pay them.