dancepartner dot com

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sandcastles, May 31, 2007.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yep. Which in some ways is pretty much misleading, but I can understand it. We'll see how this site works out. I've had some look at my profile already, but not in my area more like really out of state lol. I'm not willing to relocate, so it's not a big deal. There are a lot though in my area that are looking for partners that do not teach. So, maybe something might work out. I didn't realize how many were actually out in the open in my area that are looking. I'm still going to let my instructor know just in case he hears something of someone looking later on.

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I must be getting old on here - but I think we discussed this before. I have personal experience with an 'instructor' who pretends to be an amateur in order to find pro-am students. When I called him on it he did not deny it - buit changed his sign-on name (he probably did not realize that the name also changed in all his archived correspondence at the same time!). So, like everything else on teh web, it really is caveat emptor.

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol. That's kind of funny. It's almost to bad we didn't have a good site that listed all of the instructors and their (accurate) profiles for students that are new or for students who are looking to change instructors. I've seen some sites, but they aren't that good. So, I could have used such a thing, but I found out through trial and error. But this site is mainly for finding partners, and I bet there are students that think oh here's a hot shot instructor in my area, maybe he'll want me as a partner only to find out he was only looking for students. Oh well. You live and learn.

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'd definitely consider that a bit sleezy myself. I'd have to pop on the site again to be completely sure, but almost sure the teachers in question all make it clear they're not looking for students, looking for other professionals to partner.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

When I had an ad on ballroomdancers.com, a few pros contacted me asking me about doing Pro/Am with them. This annoyed me because (a) I already had a teacher and (b) my ad specifically said that I wanted an amateur partner to do over-35 Standard with.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ditto.

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That would get annoying. I don't want to do Pro/Am with anyone different at this time. I'm very satisfied with the instructor that I have, and would do so with him if I could afford it. I think I need to get more into detail with my profile. I wasn't sure what to put down exactly. I just said that I was not looking for anything other than a dance partner and a few other things. But I didn't get that specific, but maybe I should?

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, I think the one instructor forgot that he probably has his up, because he has a partner now etc. Plus, it hasn't been updated since 2005. The other ones I didn't look that closely at their profile to know for sure.

I can see the site being a good site for pros to find partners though. So, it doesn't matter to me if they are on their or not. It just surprised me to say the least. And at this point, I know enough about the ballroom world, and I know who to ask if I need anyone's input on an instructor or whatever the case might be. You know, I can ask if they already have a partner etc., to find out what their motives might be. No biggie.

9. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm helping with the development of www.dancelessons.com and it may be of help to people once completed. I suppose there are limits to what you can do to find a partner online, but if people are interested, I might like to find some people to help me test it. If anyone wants to help now, you can create a test profile. It is not done yet, and you'll probably find some bugs.

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'll help test it!!! I've done some testing for some friends on the sites they own. ;)

Edited to say that I went ahead and signed up as a member. I wanted to put you down as a referral, but used your DanceMentor name, because I wasn't sure what you had down on the web site, or what was going on with you on that one. I'm sure you'll probably know what I mean if you do see what I had done. I'm not sure if you get anything by referring someone, but I wanted to be sure that you got the credit if you did!

11. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Actually, free members can read messages from silver members. They are, however, unable to respond. I signed up as a silver member and sent my regular email address and was contacted by a few people.

12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

You either didn't do this recently, or they were also silver members.

Quite seriously - I have a message in my inbox from a silver member, and I can't open it.

13. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

I did this literally last month. But, I checked out the site just now and it seems they have changed their policy. That's disappointing.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

its more than disappointing - its mean spirited and cheap. I can't imagine that they aren't making enough money with the old policy - this is just scalping and the site needs some competition. I would be very surprized if someone didn't jump into this opportunity.

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Have you checked out DanceMentor's site yet that he mentioned on this thread? I've registered, and so far, it has a lot more functions than the other site does. I can't get back into it though for it says error on me each time I do (but they are probably still working on it though). We'll probably have to make a new thread just to talk about DM's site, because I'm not sure what exactly is going to be kept up as a free membership or the paying membership. If you can't register now, keep trying (they're still working on it probably). ;)

Edited to say that it's for both instructors and students, which I like. You can definitely tell the difference between the two unlike the other site.

16. Chris Stratton

You can tell on dancepartner too - set your search to show only amateurs or only pros and check the profile of anyone who contacts you before responding. Of course, people can mis-state their status, but that's going to be hard for any site to do anything about except in response to complaints.

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hmmm... every single time that I hit search, it automatically searches for those in my area. How do I get it to not do an automatic search? I can see where it says professional or amateur in their profile though. So, that's not a big deal. But you still have to look through them all to find out. Is that a free member thing maybe? I'll probably just have to play around with it more. ;)

18. Chris Stratton

Edit search

19. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I have gotten reply to a free msg that I sent. The thing is, if you send a free msg to a basic member, in order for that person to reply with a non-free (non standardized) msg, the person would actually have to pay for membership fee. This might have limited the reply that you get from your msg. On the other hand, if you are a gold member, whoever got your msg may reply for free regardless of their membership status. What I usually do afer sending the free msg is track the "who has viewed my profile" tab a couple days later. Almost 100% of the time, the person that I sent the free msg to would have viewed me. In that case, you can probalby conclude that the person has gotten the msg and is either not interested or just don't feel like paying...

just my 2c

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If one can't be bothered to send someone a paid message, one should be unsurprised when that someone is unwilling to pay to respond to one's free message...