Dancesport photography

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by White Chacha, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

You'd also have to be willing to part with more rights than most photographers are willing to do. No one is going to pay for an electronic file without a pretty free license to make copies, serve it from their own servers, post it on their web site, use it as desktop wallpaper, etc. Don't forget that every time someone views a web site containing a photo, that's a separate copy of that photo being transmitted to the viewer's computer.

2. ...Including you and your partner... On the cover of American Dancer Magazine :) :) :)

3. Lol.. Full resolution can be over 50MB per image. When I post them, I upload them at a size which is just enough to print online. The images end up at about 10% of their original size. If I opened an image in Photoshop and saved it again as a PSD, my files would be roughly 250MB (without adjusting them).

Storage on my computer may run around 200GB per competition. At Capital this past year, I shot 3500 images specifically for use by John Depalma. I had to go buy extra CF cards because 80GB was not enough.

4. I will try to post a few more responses once I get back from teaching tonight.

5. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Yes, if you are dealing with TIFFs and RAW the size is huge. (I've done many a processing and re-touching from shoots) I did not think you would uploading THOSE... :)

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

I hadn't been on his site in a while -- and woah -- what an improvement again!! (It was great before, but even better now!). I agree with your statement about a knack for catching amazing moments. I looked today for the first time at his ballroom dance photos (specifically the ones from Capital on his www. ryankennerphotography.com site) -- Wowza! Very impressive. And they loaded so quickly as well to see one photo right after the other! :applause:

7. Ok - back from teaching.

Ireniecat, I only use online printing services, I would have to hire an additional body and bring more equipment to offer printing at an event. As it is, I bring a fully loaded server to host my viewing software, as well as a wireless/wired network, and multiple viewing stations. Once you include my lighting equipment, it becomes overwhelming.

I deal with this by offering two options:

Small JPEG for online use only (if someone prints, they are violating our agreement... the quality is only enough to print a 4x6 if they did though).

Large JPEG unlimited personal (non-commercial) use including printing. File size is enough to print an fairly good size image. Obviously this has a higher cost.

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Thanks Cantski, will definitely reach out to you on this. Both her domain and her current photo service are expiring, so we're looking to renew. Ididn't know that number until earlier today, but definitely hurt me to read too. That being said, I figured it was definitely relevant to the discussion, even if I'd already pointed her to some cheaper services.

Also, as always, love your work. I've said for years there's a difference between someone who's just a photographer, and someone who's a photographer and an artist. And fiance doesn't shoot ballroom, so I don't have to feel bad. ;)

9. Ok, so just because I am about to print a few copies of these two images... I decided I wanted to post them here for you to enjoy as well. :)

You will obviously recognize the couple in Image 1. I actually gave them an 12x18 print of this image at the Yankee Classic.
    [​IMG]

The couple in Image 2 is a youth couple from Dance Republic in Boston. I believe I shot this at one of Brown Universities competitions.
    [​IMG]

10. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Since you're bringing that equipment, why not try Eye-Fi cards and see if it cuts a step out of your workflow.

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Lovely...they're stunning.

I looked at your website too...I like how the ballroom section of your gallery has a URL that includes animals...

12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

great photos

13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Woah - what are you shooting these days? The RAW file size on my 18Mp Canon 7D are 25MB. Highest resolution JPGs are anywhere from 4-7 depending on content.

-wc

14. White Chacha

Nature of the beast, I guess. I sell the occasional image through a web site which specializes in photos of Martha's Vineyard subjects. There I limit the file size and sell only JPGs. People are referred directly to me for anything else. The volume is so low that I don't worry about the manual processing involved. The web site operator sends me my cut of the $ via paypal.

15. White Chacha

EyeFi only comes in SD form factor. Most prosumer and professional DSLRs still use CF cards. The import from the card may be time consuming, but it doesn't require constant attention so you can do other things like have breakfast or a walk in the park while it's happening.

-wc

16. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem with limiting the size, as long as the customer knows what they're getting. I suspect most people who might be in the market for buying photos online are thinking of displaying them online, not printing them, so they don't need high resolution anyway.

If I buy a dance picture of myself, though, I'm going to want to be able to give that to, say, someone I'm doing a show for, so they can use it for publicity. That's a commercial use, even if I'm doing the show for free. I don't want to have to bother with special negotiations with the photographer if that happens.

That argument might not apply to your photos, but I think it does apply to most of those selling photos at competitions, where the primary market is people who are looking for photos of themselves, not just generic pretty photos.

Edit: maybe to put it another way, I think most of the market for photos from competitions is not for photos from photographers who consider themselves artists and their photos their personal artistic creations, but rather for photos of particular subjects from photographers who are merely making records of the artistic creations made by the dancers.

17. White Chacha

I'm definitely of the latter school. When I shoot ballroom subjects, it's for dancers who want to see to what extent their efforts to produce visual art have succeeded.

18. Canon does have a wireless device for their cameras that allows you to wirelessly stream your images over a local network to your computer... But it is very slow. Waaaay to slow for sporting events.

19. Interesting topic. It is quite interesting to see what people focus on when they shoot their subjects.

When I shoot for myself, I shoot purely to capture the physicality and emotions of each dancer. However, when I am a vendor at a competition, I most focus on shooting what White Chacha describes above.

20. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

As a consumer, I would be much more interested in purchasing photos that are more expressive and subject to the photographer's artistic interpretation, rather than the "traditional" ballroom photos. If I want to see the results of my dancing or just document that I indeed danced, I'll purchase a video.