Dancesport Related Jobs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, Apr 18, 2008.

1. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Ok I guess you could call this a mini thread because I just had a quick question. Does anyone know of any good dancesport related jobs that one could do? I am just getting a little tired of wokring a job that I'm not really too much into when I would much rather (actually love) working in a studio (even at the front desk) or anything else dancesport related. I would really appreciate any input because this is something I would really like to look into. Thanks :)

P.S. Teaching at a franchise studio is not really an option (long long long story I'll discuss later in some other thread).
  2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

competition video camera operator?
  3. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

In addition to that, you could also mix music and be the DJ. Be the total Audio/Video guru for your studio. Take pictures for the studio's website, advertisements, etc.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

any kind of vendor for that matter
  6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just be warned, while sometimes turning hobby into a job can lead to a happy career, it can sometimes just turn into a lost hobby.
  7. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I would actually love working for a vendor but don't know how to go about it. I asked once but said they weren't hiring. Seeing as how I always see the same people at the vendor stands every year at every comp I wonder how they come about such jobs. I know I would love to do something dancesport related because I have been dancing since I was 3 (ballet and jazz) and it is much more than a hobby to me. I also plan on keeping my job while trying something dancesport related. I definitely think that it is a good avenue to get more involved in something I love.
  8. Shelu

Shelu Member

dancesport related

Wow, do I have a dancesport related job for you (extra money) that is. My name is Shelu and I am just getting our business out to the world and do need help. My daughter and I have been ballroom dancing for five years. We have meet very nice people in the business. But , I do need help. I am busy designing latin dresses. Shelu designs to take to events.
    I find I don't have time for the dancesport related work, that needs it.
    Feel, free to message me or email centerstagedancesport@yahoo.com. :bouncy:
  9. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Dancesport Photographer.
    If you have an interest in photography and love playing around with cameras. It's a great job.
  10. ChelD

ChelD Member

Registrar? Scrutineer?
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

Registrar is long hours and low (or no) pay, but its super fun and exciting and you get to meet EVERYONE.
  12. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Scrutineer is also long hours with little pay, and god help you if you make a mistake. You get the best seat in the house, and then can't watch much of the competition. I did it for years, but mostly as a contribution to the community, not as a reasonable way to make money. I generally asked for the amount they were paying the chairman of judges, not so much because I needed the money, but because I needed them to understand and respect the job.
  13. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I have actually worked as a registrar for the SW Regionals and had a blast. I was not payed but I have to say that it was well worth it. I met so many DF'ers and other great dancers. I had a blast. I am looking more for something that has some pay this time though. Even if it is a little, it is something that I didn't have. And since I go to comps all the time and am at the studio I figure, might as well try working with a vendor or for a studio........
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not to mention lots of travel for either/both.
  15. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Don't you have to be certified to do that?
  16. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Yes, you have to pass the exam first.
  17. tunape

tunape New Member

I've been toying around with the idea of Ballroom/sports marketing. Helping comps and competitors form a strategic, market themselves, and advertising. I'm sure there are a number of other professional services, the question is whether the industry can support it.
  18. Tuan, PM me when you get a chance.
  19. hamstersphere

hamstersphere New Member

Me too. I've long wondered (coming from an advertising/marketing/design background) whether the industry could support/would benefit from marketing/promotion/Web design/etc etc services from someone who (at least to a degree) has a sense of what's going on from both sides.

Then again, maybe I'm just daydreaming about work that suits both my passions equally. :)
  20. tunape

tunape New Member

Of course, there are a number of other professions like sports pscyhologist, nutritionist, sports massage,etc... which can cater to ballroom world, but I don't know if there is a high enough demand to solely serve the ballroom community. Again, I don't know if the industry can support this.

Apparel is difficult, imho, because of distribution issues. Even the major design houses don't have good distribution channels.