Dancesport Related Jobs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocolatchica, Apr 18, 2008.

1. BM

BM New Member

Ditto. Luckily, I might be able to do that this summer to promote a friend's new studio . . . :D
  2. Me

Me New Member

This is a great thread. I would love a career change as well. Something dancesport would be ideal!
  3. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

A cool place to work that I just saw is a HUGE Dancesport shoe store called WorldTone in LA (and on NY). Anyone ever been?
  4. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

I've been to the one in NY, it's not a huge store in NY, but it's where I've gotten my last two pairs of shoes.
  5. tvmurph

tvmurph New Member

great thread!

I just joined about 5 minutes ago, and it's because of this thread. I'm a TV producer, but my hobby is Latin ballroom. I'd love to figure out how to change careers and use my writing skills (or any other skills!) in a way that is somehow related to ballroom... Any suggestions?
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF tvmurph!

I hope somebody will be along with some recommendations!
  7. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

How about makeup and hair stylist.
  8. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Working in the Ballroom Industry

Ok ... currently like (not love) my job. Love my boss (she is a friend so ergo the love part:)) she is cool. But it is ... not something I want, have not wanted for along time. Just so over the finance industry.

HOWEVER .... I like to work and I like to stay busy.

I want to work in the ballroom industry. Spoke to a couple of people about it this weekend. It just seems to bring me back to part of the reason of WHY I got into dance in the first place. (laid off in 2007, hubby asked "Carol, what would make you happy, what is your passion, what do YOU want to do?" - My response was "DANCE", his next was "go for it")

So started with lessons, and while that is great and going well ... I STILL WANT TO WORK IN THE INDUSTRY. lol ...

Larinda came up with some ideas, so has Dancepro ... so throw them at me please ...:)

1 hardworking female willing to do anything in the ballroom world ... :D
  9. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

When you say work in the industry, do you mean teach, or do you mean administrate, organize, support, promote, in other words everything else?
  10. emeralddancer

Anything BUT teach as I still am just learning bronze standard. LOL so yeah everything else outside of teach or judge...so not qualified. One must know ones limitations ... and I SOOOOOOO know mine.:D
  11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

what do you do now? if we knew that, we could suggest jobs in the industry that might leverage your current skills (making you more valuable to a prospective employer).
  12. dansa

dansa New Member

Why not working at the headoffice for a latin/ballroom brand? Like a shoebrand for example?

Or else,
    what is much easier and you dont need AS much finances for as opening your own latinballroom shop,
    you can open an online shop and ship shoes and accessories of latinballroom stuff worldwide?
  13. emeralddancer

Well I work in the finance world and have for many years ... (Banking, mortgage, secondary lending, marketing for whoesale mortgage lender, etc ...) all clerical/admin positions. All in MD to boot. (moto tho is: have car will travel, hehee)

For "fun" I have run around to businesses to get "donations i.e. gift certificates and such, for my studio when they have showcases for give always.

I can do make-up but not certified by the state. (one must attend X amount of hours in school and pass a state test)

I have helped with the video at nationals last year and intended to do it again this year.

Starting to get into a wee bit of web design (gotta love APPLE's Iweb, makes it so easy and quite elegant).

I can not sew, but I can glue the heck outta stones for dresses.

I am definitely more creative, but have learned over the years in finance the organizational side of things and value that. AND I have also found when it is something I am passionate about I can sell ...

Ideally, would love to work for a studio in some capacity, marketing, admin, clerical, receptionist, clean, etc .... Do not mind putting in those types of hours. (which would suit me more anyway) But pretty much open for any and all ideas.
  14. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Great thread and as an avid dancer why not consider something dance related? It's an obvious thought. I felt the same several years ago and now own my own dancewear business, a decision that I do not regret.
    However, a Huge thing to consider is: will it take you closer to your goals (which in my case is dancing) or will it take you further away ( which is my case in my business capacity)?
    I am not being negative. I am being realistic. If you want to dance, pick a career path within dancesport that will allow you to do that. I am sure there are many choices. I had a very long conversation recently with another dance vendor who is a friend and we discussed this at length.
    We both decided our paths and don't look back. But there are limitations caused simply by those decisions. I still dance and always will, but it is definitely limited by my career choice.
    Best of luck in your endeavor!!
    :wink:

15. swan

swan Member

Too bad you don't live in No. Cal East Bay or South Bay area! Could have used your help! LOL! We're looking for individuals like you to help out in our studio!
  16. emeralddancer

Want to move me? LOL

I would pretty much at this point give up the first born to work in this field. Shoot ... I'd even clean the toilets. LOL :D
  17. Becca

Becca Active Member

I know I am going to miserable for the rest of my life unless I get some sort of dance related job. There is absolutely nothing else in the world that I have any sort of care for.
  18. Bella

Bella New Member

Hmm let's see... you can be a showdance rep and sell dance shoes, you can make costumes, sell costumes, receptionist at a studio, any PR stuff like newsletters/websites, photographer... just gotta find your niche and run with it. :) An opportunity will present itself.
  19. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I am not sure if I can help you with this. As my current job pays my bills, I will probably not to change my career path. But, I've been thinking about changing my career, which is dancing related. I currently plan to make my own dress to see if I can do it, but it seems pretty hard. So, I have been rethinking that if I really want to have a job which is dance related or just want to dance more. I found that I just want to dance more. Well, at least I found the real reason that I wanted to change my career, but even I found a job, it will not guarantee that I could spend more time for dancing. My decision? I will have a room with mirrors and nice floor in my own place. So I can dance more. :)
  20. Bella

Bella New Member

That too. Yuck.