Dancing and Community Service

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 15, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I don't want to mention any names, here, but I know of a ton of DF members who spend a lot of their personal time and resources supporting the dance community through volunteer service -- people who pay out of pocket to support research and web sites, people who give classes and lessons for free, people who write newsletters, people who work the ticket booth at dances, people who set up dance clubs and comps, people who bring a covered dish to the studio social, and so on. I see this especially in the swing and ballroom communities here, although I'm sure it's out there everywhere.

So here's a question for you. How important is the service these volunteers provide? Could the dance world survive without the self-sacrifice? Could dance ever be a transaction-only service, like buying food from a grocery store? Or is there something special about dance that makes people want to "give something back?" Does dance volunteerism serve a human need? Why do people do it, when they could just pay their money and take lessons, no strings attached?