Dancing Decisions

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Corne, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Corne

Corne New Member

If you faced the following scenario what would you do ?

In the area where i work/live there are very limited number of good male instructors. At least the better than average standard instruction in the area is limited where i live/work *. I think i have explored all my instructor options. Now a decision has to be made.

So, i can

a) stop taking lessons until i can/have to move to better dance location; just social dance
    b) take lessons with existing, less than "good" instructors
    c) switch style to accommodate better instructor
    d) use videos/dvd's as temporary dance lessons/practice

What would you do ?

* I used to live and dance in east coast and had access to very good instructors; this is the frame of reference i am using.

2. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Get a female instructor?

ch0pst1x likes this.
  3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

If you're really happy with standard, I'd say B, whiel making sure to take advantage of any top coaches coming through town. If you're willing to change, or if you'll only be there a short time, then go smooth. And STILL take advantage of any top coaches. :) Heck, I dance smooth/rhythm but still taken coachings from latin and ten dance champs.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

C...hands down...good dancing is good dancing...it is money well spent and will serve you well

5. fascination

I think all of the other options are poor options, but if I had to pick I would combine A and D...but not B...if you know the instructor is mediocre, you have learned enough from him

6. fascination

a good coaching is nice but if you have a pro that isn't able to take that and help you own it...it is just a shooting star flashing across the sky...not something you can hold onto

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

True Fasc, but at my level, even the latest 6 week wonder can help me. Well, may take 8 or ten weeks. ;) So yes, didn't think of that, but you're absolutely right.

8. fascination

well that is also a fair point etp...at some point that level of pro is perfectly fine...but I rather doubt that is corne's case

9. fascination

but you may underestimate yourself as well

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Luckliy also not dancing with such a pro. But I'll get BOT. And still along lines of my coaching comments, and agree with fasc. Good dancing is good dancing. If you're open to C, stay at your level, or higher, by switching. Remember there will likely be a period of frustration to start when you change over. Be ready to deal with that from the start, and make sure you have a good listener to be there when you need to vent. :)

11. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I would have to go with either A or C. It really depends on how long it will take you to relocate. If it's just several months, then it's possible to just keep practicing what you know. If you're looking at a year or more, then you may want to pick C as having that second set of eyes for critique is very important.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yep, totally agree.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Blech, yeah Gorme. I did the practicing bit for 7.5 months on my own (with exception of four lessons in space of 2 days about 6 months ). Was definitely NOT ideal. Seems to have worked alright, FP complimented me on how well I kept up with the stuff, but definitely did forget a lot.

14. skipper

skipper New Member

B B B
    Good dancing is just good dancing--no matter which style. As long as your body is moving, you are using your legs, minding your posture and listening to the melody---do you really care which style it is??
    If and when you move back to a stronger dance area, you will be just fine!

15. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

How far away is the closest "good instructor"?

16. fascination

I am confused...you sound like you are more in support of C then:confused:

17. fascination

B is a whole lot of money to just be standing up straight and moving your body around...and for how long?...

18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Do you move a lot? If not, I would switch styles. Honestly, it can't hurt to be flexible.

19. Yanou

Yanou Member

C! That's what I did. After I got my excellent current teacher, it took almost a year to get rid of all the bad habits I'd acquired before I got him. :rolleyes: Even at my level (bronze), it's important to start with good solid foundation. I truly wish I could've started with my current teacher but he wasn't around when I started.

20. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how good the local instructors are. They're not as good as your old instructors, but if they're still significantly better than you - good enough for you to learn something from - I'd consider taking lessons from them.