Dancing Decisions

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Corne, Nov 5, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this is a good point but I still think that if you can clearly distinguish why one is better than the other...you are not well served by putting money down for lesser instruction
  2. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I vote strongly against B: could cause you bad habits that later will cause you more $ and more time.
    I will do C: good dancing is good dancing-- will still learn how to move more efficiently, isolation, musicality, etc.... than if you were not taking lessons.
    or see how far you will have to travel to get good instruction... maybe something you can do on Saturdays..
  3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Less than good instructors are a waste of time and money and it takes a l-o-n-g time to unlearn bad habits that you might acquire from them.
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

My vote is for C. Maybe you can supplement it with D in your preferred style.
  5. I agree with Tanya. But only do C is you will enjoy the other styles. Remember your enjoyment of dancing is the top priority.

I have found some of the youtube videos to be wonderful training material. NOT TO REPLACE AN INSTRUCTOR..... But, if there is no instructor around or you want clarification, you can easily download videos off YouTube and play them back frame by frame to see what the pro is actually doing. It was a major eye opener to watch a lot of the top standard dancers this way. I found a ton of problems with my dancing this way and understand what it is I am doing incorrectly.
  6. newbie

newbie Active Member

Become a teacher and open a dance studio.
  7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I don't like any of the choices, but if I have to choose, b + C as supplement.
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you be concerned with picking up bad habits from option B?
  9. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

good point, not sure about their experience level of the teachers. Just under assumption that they are not as good as high level ones remote, but not "bad" technically
  10. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

"C". Might not be the style you're used to, but might open up another world of options to you, and good instruction can't hurt.
  11. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

I don't know do you like rhythm, but if you do. I will say C.

Or find some information about better coaches whom comes to your town. Or ask in your studio if they are willing to invite some other coaches.
  12. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

why dont you tell us where you are and maybe we can help point out a good instructor.
  13. Corne

Corne New Member

As far as i have researched, a few hours drive away...... down in southern texas probably. Too far to have a regular lesson.

The studio i frequent only brought in 1 coach the whole year for 1 visit. Good coach but you need to see them on a more regular basis, me thinks.

Thanks all for the replies. Lots of good thoughts to ponder upon.
  14. Corne

Corne New Member

there is an existing thread where i asked about instructors/coaches in dallas, TX area. I followed up on all the suggestions. PM me with any suggestions.
  15. Corne

Corne New Member

agreed
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

17. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I agree with Fasc: C first, and failing that, a combination of A & D. In addition to good dancing being good dancing, you never know -- if you try a new style to accommodate a better pro, you might find yourself loving something you never knew you could love.
  18. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Oh, wow, this thread was from 2008. Well, still, I agree with Fasc. :p
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

like Brees rumba walsk eh?? oh no its not a press line ( never answered) weight distribution is totally different

go to vegas dance camp, take some privates with her, and tell her to send me the bill LOL
  20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Wondering why there is no option "e" - see if there are any female coaches of equal or better quality in the area. A new perspective is always good.