Dancing down

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by muyv, Dec 23, 2012.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Plus there's the fact that it's perfectly typical for the scholarships at a pro-am comp to go bronze->silver->open. Even the ones that have a separate gold scholarship won't have anything that's really equivalent to the novice and pre-champ levels on the am side. I have to think that the extra levels make jumping up a level seem a bit less intimidating. It's not necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison.

(Plus there's the way that dancing in two proficiencies at once actively encourages people to start competing in silver almost immediately. Add in the reduced cost of entry, and I imagine the competitior pool on the am side can seem diluted. Speaking as one of the chaff.)
  2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Well, I don't think that I would see something like that at Ohio, because that's the video I have seen it in. And everyone else is doing their regular open choreo.
  3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Link?
  4. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Like I said, its clear basics and there are some tricks and things that obviously aren't syllabus, but you can very very clearly see things like continuous hip twist, sliding doors, etc.

5. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see a video if one exists of them in the semi, then, to compare and contrast. My impression was that R&Y have routines, but what makes them so proficient is their ability to intersperse basics, lead and follow, and use those skills to adapt to the music. Their "routines" don't look the same from round to round thanks to that basic work (nor should they).
  6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

hmmm i guess looking at the video of the earlier rounds, it looks as though they just started in a different part of their routine... but still, it looks like one part is more basic than the other