Dancing nightmares

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by josheph, Apr 29, 2013.

1. josheph

josheph New Member

What are some performances that you have had that just bombed. Mine i went to an event that my couch told the LEVEL 2 people to attend and i had just graduated to level 2, my mom not knowing the difference made me dress up and go. When it started i stood there not knowing anything of what he was telling me to do in front of hundreds of people hahahaha

2. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Once during a showcase piece, I stepped straight down on top of my partners foot, with my heel. Things got interesting....

3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I had a skirt start traveling downwards during a latin performance because it was ever slightly too big...and very noticeably yanked it up a couple of times. Lesson learned, dress rehearsal first!

I've also straight up fallen on the floor a couple of times in competition, a couple times while losing a shoe temporarily.

chomsky likes this.
  4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

All kinds of things have happened...

Accidentally grabbed partners breast when she aborted right before the classic "dirty dancing" lift.
    Partner slid about 8 feet across the floor
    I fell many times
    Caught shirt sleeve in partners hair
    Ran into the top partner at the law firm we were entertaining and he spilled his drink all over him
    Had hecklers tell me my fly was down or shoe untied

chomsky and ajiboyet like this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

In one of our first comps, DW and I were signed up to do a solo routine. We were using a showcase routine (the first one we ever learned!) that we had previously only danced in our regular studio. The routine started with us apart, and I had to dance six bars and end up by walking around my partner, who started in the middle of the floor. From doing it multiple times at the studio, I had the steps measured and I knew where I needed to start from -- a back corner of the floor.

We went out onto the comp floor to do the solo, with this big audience watching, and... the floor was much larger than our studio's floor, and I didn't know where to begin from! So I picked a spot on the floor that appeared to be about the right distance, as the music was beginning. When my cue came, I did two bars and realized I was waaaaaay too far away. I literally ran through the next two bars in order to get to where I was supposed to be.

chomsky likes this.
  6. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Gave my partner a bloody nose DURING competition.

chomsky likes this.
  7. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Shoved a lady out of my way during competition because she had cut me off from my partner. It was the first time that it had happened to me. Instead of waiting and walking around her, I panicked. I apologized to her profusely afterwards.

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I got severe calf cramps/spasms in the middle of doing a heat. It was to the point where I was trying to power through, and at the last dance I literally could not even bear weight on my legs anymore, my calf muscles were out of commission! It was so embarassing because I had to limp/drag myself off the floor and I felt so bad. The good part... the kindness of strangers... judges stopping by to ask if I was okay, my pro helping me with stretches and his solution to all ailments.. tigerbalm, other pros and friends offering me water, bananas, vitamins. It taught me two things..hydrate well, get enough electrolytes ahead of time, and the ballroom world is truly a family.

chomsky, SDsalsaguy, 3wishes and 2 others like this.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right heel collapsed on court shoe in the middle of 2 consecutive sets of standard...try doing a heel turn that way....calamity

10. Jared21

Jared21 New Member

in one of my first performances as a child i fell off the stage at my school, ended up breaking 2 fingers, thinking back to it, it was quite funny it was part of a play where we were dancing to the war of the worlds song? i thought i was an alien or something and basically leaped off the stage

chomsky likes this.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

At the MAC, my neck started locking up during the gold semifinal. It started to feel tense during the foxtrot and by the quickstep there was a point at which I just couldn't bear it, I had to stop during the dance and roll my head around to try and loosen it up. Partner got really freaked out by it and was really worried. We managed to make the final even so, which was also excruciating, the photographer even captured some pictures of the grimace on my face. Still haven't figured out why it does it sometimes.

12. LT

LT Member

My partner and I slipped and literally fell flat on our backs in a quickstep... really, we could have done snow angels had we been in the mountains. She also lost a shoe... so I knelt, picked up her shoe, and put it on her foot like she's Cinderella, and we continued on... the marks must have already been in, because somehow we still won! Even so, we were mortified... :(

chomsky and debmc like this.
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I have that stiff-neck problem during standard sometimes too! And only during competitions, never during practice. Not sure what it is...I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, but have no idea what is causing it. It's especially bad when it happens during dances with a lot of fast turns, like quickstep.

14. mindputtee

It happens sometimes in practice, it seems to be brought on by doing more dances in a row with no break (ie, rounds, semis, and finals). Everything I've tried to do to fix it makes it worse, now I'm trying to just NOT think about it and that generally makes it better. And choreography where I turn in and out of promenade more seems to relieve the tension.

15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Yes, same for me. Switching into promenade position helps a lot.

16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I got clocked pretty hard in the throat at my last competition. the woman who hit me didn't even seem to notice; she certainly never apologized.

17. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

My friend told me his onetime partner broke his nose in the semifinal round of a competition. She was supposed to stop short in front of him, only she didn't, and her face smashed into his. He didn't even notice until she freaked out because his nose was lying sideways on his face.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wow, how's that for adrenaline?

theAnnelis likes this.
  19. Sania

Sania Active Member

At collegiate nationals, long ago when it was in Florida - caught the heel of my shoe in the feathers of my dress during quickstep - the spectators very kindly called my attention to it and one of them yanked the offending boa off for me

Also had someone trip me in samba at a Regionals (accidentally) but was able to get right back up and keep dancing.

And at USADance Nationals in standard - very crowded semi - the couple who eventually won the event slammed right into my back - but they did apologize and no harm was done

On the whole the heel in the feather trim was the scariest one.

20. mindputtee

I fear much less for the safety of my body than the safety of my costume.

leee, theAnnelis, dlliba10 and 2 others like this.