Dancing nightmares

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by josheph, Apr 29, 2013.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Been relatively lucky. Had the glasses smacked off my face by a wayward New Yorker once, but luckily just during a general dance and not a competitive round. A strap on my partner's dress came undone during our most recent Smooth Foxtrot final, and I was freaking out thinking that it was irreparably broken and that the audience would get an eyeful during our VW, but she just snapped it back in place between dances. #ThingsBoysDontHaveToWorryAbout

Speaking about ballroom nightmares literally, though, I once had the equivalent of an actor's nightmare and dreamed I got out onto the floor for a final and just completely blanked on all our routines as everyone else danced around us. *shudders*

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we have had many escapades, but they are all chronicled elsewhere in other threads :)

3. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I had a scare when after I had just finished a standard dance, and in the heat of the moment, I immediately left the floor and went into the dressing room. As I was sitting there, I suddenly thought, "Did I leave in the middle of a round?" I hadn't done a quickstep yet, but then I remembered that that particular event was grouped differently and there was no quickstep.

chomsky and dbk like this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've had dreams about missing heats. It's always something like, I just stepped out of the ballroom for a moment, or so I thought, but when I return it's some time later and I've missed a number of heats.

5. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

Okay, I had a competition nightmare at MIT during standard when I got tripped by mistake by another follower and came very close to falling on my butt. Fortunately I am a klutz in much of my ordinary life so this is not the first time that I have nearly fallen dancing with my partner and he has lots of practice catching me. He's never once let me hit the floor and it's a point of pride for him-- we just never suspected it would ever happen on the competition floor.
    Also, I was dancing in a new costume that we'd never competed in before and during our Mambo Quarterfinal the strap fell off my shoulder. My partner saw it and we sort of looked at each other for a second or two before he adlibbed a move in the middle of the routine in order to get his arm around me to fix the strap (it would have been very impressive if he hadn't gotten nervous and rushed the counts doing it!).
    In a mock competition our team held before MIT I managed to give my partner a bloody nose during Samba (he kept dancing it though which was nice!) but I am hoping I never do that at competition.
    Also, one of our current Bronze dancers did an underarm turn during their first comp as Newcomers in American Waltz and some couple came in in the middle of the underarm turn and danced under the leader's arm and so our couple basically just got stuck waiting until this other couple could get out of their way so they could close the underarm turn. That was pretty funny, even if it was a jerk move by that other couple.

6. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

This happens to me far too often... :(

7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

At MIT last year my partner went down during the quickstep. Apparently the couple behind us didn't move and we couldn't see them and he tripped over the leader's leg. One second he was there, and then all of a sudden, he wasn't! I was very proud of myself for maintaining my balance and not going down with him though. We still got recalled to the next round, so all was fine.
    Always practice in your costumes before the comp! You never know what is going to happen when you start dancing.

chomsky likes this.
  8. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

The major problem was that the costume came in on the Thursday before MIT-- so we had one practice in it on Thursday night, but we only did Latin, and since we were traveling to get near Boston on Friday and dancing most of the day on Saturday we never got a chance to run Rhythm in the costume until we got to MIT on Sunday. I'm glad we competed in it anyway (it's gorgeous and it's my first costume I've ever owned, and we spent hours looking at costumes together to pick one out that we thought would work well for us, so it was seriously exciting to have competed in it), however, now we know we have to watch that strap. Unfortunately the straps aren't adjustable and how the strap is attached to the dress I'm not sure it's going to be easy or comfortable to take in (it attaches almost under my armpit in the back because the back is open and feels pretty tight already, even though it obviously isn't), it's a problem I have to put some thought into. Someone on my team recommended tape to me, but it seems like tape wouldn't look good and then with Latin/Rhythm (particularly rhythm) you do a lot of large arm movements and I feel like tape wouldn't really hold the straps down with all the movement.

9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

During one of my first competitions, I hadn't really gotten the hang of dancing in a skirt yet and nearly pantsed myself in american tango. A different competition was two days long and in my hometown- my partner decided to quit ballroom between day one and day two of the comp:mad:. Fortunately, one of the more experience leads on my team was able to step in and compete with me!

10. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I used to have this... habit, I guess?... of somehow getting the heel of one shoe stuck into the front part of the other shoe. Happened every once in a while, but nothing too bad. Until it happened in a Viennese... at a competition (right in front of the row of judges, no less). I keeled over straight backwards, since I was in a Viennese cross and wasn't able to unlock my legs/knees to pull my heel out.

Luckily my partner caught me, but apparently it scared some of the judges!

Of course, same thing happened with another partner that same year, at practice. He didn't catch me - but he did fall on top of me trying to catch me... :rolleyes:

Luckily it hasn't happened in years - I think my footwork has gotten a lot better.

chomsky likes this.
  11. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

My former partner used to have weak ankles when she started out. We'd be dancing along and suddenly, she'd drop straight into the floor. It's very scary when this happens in practice. But this happens in competition too. One time, we were passing right in front of a judge and she drops like a rock onto the floor. After that point, I'd always ask her if her feet are okay before the start of each comp. It happened two more times that year in other comps. Fortunately, she's been working on better footwork and she has never fallen since.

12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Something like that happened in the Intermediate Smooth VW semi at MIT last year -- I remember doing the front half of an open right turn, then by the time I came around again I saw someone carrying his partner off the floor to a chair. Scary stuff.

13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I would consider replacing the straps completely. For now, leave the current straps on and pin some temporary test-runs in place. Try something like criss-crossing instead of only just over the shoulder into your armpit, so for instance the left strap would go over your left shoulder and attach under your right armpit.

And count me in as one of those who somehow steps on herself while dancing :rolleyes:

14. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

MIT my first year, TBA Latin. Second round of rumba, we had the perfect piece of floor - visible to all the judges, and enough room to dance a few walks. And then I got off time in a hockey stick (to be expected in a new bronze, TBA event at early o' clock in the morning), and then somehow went on autopilot for the remaining fifteen seconds, dancing nothing but fan and hockey stick, each time getting one more beat off time. I only realized this when my partner asked me when we walked off the floor, "Did we just dance fan and hockey stick back to back for like fifteen seconds straight?" Needless to say, we were not recalled to the next round.

15. nikkitta

My partner leading an underarm turn in Waltz.

International Standard Waltz.

:oops:

16. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I have had actual dreams about having to dance in a competition in a few minutes and not having done my hair/makeup/anything ready. Actually, come to think of it, I have had to get ready in about 15 minutes because it turned out my event was much earlier than anticipated. Another time, got dressed in the ballroom minutes before the round, while running over to line up. Oy.

Once, my old partner disappeared while we were waiting for a bunch of rounds and I could not find him anywhere. Asked a bunch of my team members where he was and no one had seen him for a while, and we had to dance in a few minutes. Ran around, got people to check the restrooms, anything I could think of. In desperation, I asked the organizers to page him. Turns out he was a couple rows in front of me the whole time, taking a nap across a few chairs (so he wasn't visible from behind). He woke up and we danced a round a couple minutes later.

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I had something similar happen at my first MIT two years ago. My partner at the time led me through a natural spin turn in waltz. Vwaltz. Also he forgot how to change directions so we were doing the basic natural turn for over half the song. Worst experience ever!

19. nikkitta

Yup, had a partner automatically go into natural spin turn at the corner in Intl VWaltz, and also forget how to change directions. Wanted to vomit after that round. All I could think was "Please let the song end soon, please let the song end soon, please let the song end soon..."

stash likes this.
  20. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

But I like doing natural turns for 3 out of 4 walls...