Dancing nightmares

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by josheph, Apr 29, 2013.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Well, my partner was stuck in REVERSE turns, which made things even more interesting... :rolleyes:
  2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Hahaha yeah we cut through half the floor. I was soooo mad after that round. I don't think I've come off a floor so mad.
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Some of your posts reminded me of an incident at Ohio Star Ball....dancing rumba in the semis of the World Pro-am Championships if I remember right.

We were dancing along nicely when all the sudden out of a telemark turn, I find myself upside down, half in and half out of an unchoregraphed and unplanned lay back arch with one foot somewhat up in the air, staring blankly at an upside down audience - the only thing going through my head being - "ooooh, this is soooo not good".
    ajiboyet likes this.
  4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

LMAO! Oh dear. Sounds like one of those moments where you think, thank god costumes have dancepants built in.
    latingal likes this.
  5. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

In my team, there is a story that is passed from year to year about "thong girl." Make of that what you will... :eek:
    Smooth Dancer and Miss Silly like this.
  6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

We have a story of the "not even a thong girl" that we tell all the newbies so they won't be anywhere near that girl lol...
    letsdance101, Titoxd and Miss Silly like this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

brittney spears did ballroom?? bummer now she cant be on DWTS:eek::D
  8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I love the name of this thread. One of my favorite shows is Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Dancing Nightmares TV show?
  9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

How mean thou art...
  10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Loving this thread..

Where to start oh so many nightmares...

Was late to MIT one year and we had to dance Open Standard in street clothes starting at VW if I recall correctly (traffic) - made the final though.
    Was also late at La Classique (parking problems in Montreal), danced first round in practice skirt had organizers politely tell us that at this caliber of event in open everyone is expected to dress properly.... changed behind the bleachers under the audience for second round
    Danced whole Emerald sliding on my dress, it was on the floor while in heels but it was oh sooo cool ... Got dress complements but dancing was BAD... Body glue I used on my whole body to hold the gown up did not work
    Made an elaborate bow after a show to end up on my face in front of the audience
    Danced the entire cha cha in silver way back when off time
    Had partner drag me across the floor at Embassy ball as I danced with twisted ankle (that one still hurts 5-6 years later.. bad idea to push it)
    Danced with a partner in syllabus (from the forums) who decided that he will get the guy who just hit us... and he proceeded to chase the guy the entire round.. I dont remember but I think we didn't get called back after that.

One of my friends danced her first round in Blackpool and broke her foot during quickstep, made the second round but could not dance it
  11. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

OMG I REMEMBER THAT!!! At least, I remember that happening in Open Standard at MIT. If it was you, you looked fantastic. :D
  12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

It was years ago. 2009. gray pants and top that would not stay down low enough to cover belly button consistently...

Edit found photo LOL
    [​IMG]
    Gorme likes this.
  13. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

It was indeed years ago for me, too, so I can't remember clothes :( :( Oh well :p
  14. Mr 4 styles

my name isnt art:D
  15. Mr 4 styles

with abs like those ... dont cover them...pleaseeeeeeee:eek: :D
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Once had one of the safety pins holding my number on come undone during a heat. Had to dance a foxtrot with that damn safety pin stabbing me in the back.
  17. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

On that same note we had one guy on our team who fell asleep under a table because he was so sure that they didn't make their final at Holy Cross, not this year, but last year. Well his partner hears their number called and she's panicking running around trying to find him, eventually our team pushed her out on the floor so that she could at least try to hold their spot, and as they were making the last call someone found him under the table and pushed him onto the floor. He got out there and didn't even know what dance they were doing-- had to ask his partner on the floor. We still tease him about it.

Another guy on our team invented "Quickinese" at his first Bronze competition-- somehow he managed to start doing Viennese Waltz during Quickstep.

Here's another one of mine I remembered, at BU this year my partner didn't feel particularly well for Standard and ended up setting us up in the wrong direction for Foxtrot (we worked on our I-Fox quite a bit towards the end of semester with our Gold Standard dancer so it was much better actual legal correct I-Fox going into BU and we were actually looking forward to dancing it). So we're standing out there on the floor and he's running a fever and just trying to keep smiling, and it's funny he tells the story and he always says "I could see you giving me 'that look' but I couldn't figure out what it was about" I actually tried mumbling to him "Which wall are we going down?" But it wasn't enough. We got into our frame and the music starts and I just felt his entire frame tense up as he realized our facing was incorrect to start our routine. We ended up doing feather steps almost all the way down the first wall and once we got back on the routine going around the first corner my partner was still so nervous that our frame went to hell and it was just terrible. So to date MIT is our only successful I-Fox (and even then it was so crowded we only had one very successful wall).
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Oh man, that just reminded me of every time I lead foxtrot.
    During competitions where I'm both leading and following, it is so difficult to figure out which way my foxtrot faces, especially since I follow gold, so the steps end up being very similar but opposite. During my first competition as a lead, I lead my poor newcomer follow through a weird amalgamation of the normal foxtrot with reverse waves/ reverse feathers. She was super confused, but fortunately very understanding!
  19. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I actually understand that very well-- not from leading at competition ever, but this semester when I was mentoring Newcomers we had a session where my partner had to be late and my leaders were trying to ask questions about American Foxtrot and it's very similar but opposite for leaders and followers. It took me like a half an hour to figure out how to turn a corner as a leader because I'd do it as a follower, then in the process of trying to flip it around I'd end up on the wrong foot or trying to turn on the wrong part of the basic and the whole thing would just go to hell in a handbasket. Turns out about 5 minutes after I figured it out my partner walked in and I'm pretty sure all my Newcomer leaders breathed a sigh of relief-- he made fun of me so bad too when they told him it took me a half an hour to figure out how to turn a corner as a leader in Newcomer foxtrot ("You can't lead Newcomer Foxtrot?! You should be able to do that at this point-- I mean I can follow Newcomer foxtrot no problem."-- I promptly led him in Newcomer foxtrot and he didn't follow me so I got to make fun of him in return though.)

Actually this is really another dancing nightmare, trying to figure out leader parts (which I don't know) from follower parts.
    stash and chomsky like this.
  20. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!THANKS FOR MAKING ME SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!