Dancing nightmares

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by josheph, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Titoxd

Titoxd Member

Interestingly enough, our coach (who also teaches the for-credit ballroom dance classes at our school) makes students who want to receive an A+ in the class showcase four different concepts in five dances as both the leader and the follower. Sometimes the ladies can do a better job than the guys at leading...

2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

oh my god...

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound like a broken record or hijack this thread or offend anyone, but PLEASE, reconsider doing any mentoring or coaching unless you yourself really know what you are doing. You may be just trying to help, but impressionable newbies are literal sponges and will stink up whatever misinformation or bad habits you knowingly or unknowingly pass along. Don't do it! Personally I am a survivor of a plethora of wrong ideas and incorrect technique given to me by poorly trained instructors and allegedly experienced peers who I thought were knowledgeable and were not.

Better to say "I don't know" than give the wrong information.

4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Sure, this is ideal. I would love for our team to have enough money to hire our top notch coach for every single class. Unfortunately, the reality is we just straight up don't have the funds to support that. We have advanced members teach out of necessity. For my team (and I suspect many others) it's a choice between having an advanced member teach newcomers or not have a newcomer class, which is obviously not an option.

5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

If they know enough to teach newcomers correctly, OK. If you don't know, don't teach it. That is all I'm saying.

6. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Hazel Fletcher said at a Blackpool lecture that she had an actual nightmare about her lecture the night before because she was so nervous. The venue had to be changed in the middle of the lecture, and while they were moving to another hall she was explaining technique and things to all who could hear her as they went up a flight of stairs, and then there were only about two people in the new hall eventually (or something like that)...

7. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

-I had a real nightmare that I forget all the dresses, even the simplest one, and only have shorts and t-short.

8. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I've had actual nightmares about 1) forgetting my shoes and having to do a competition in sneakers and 2) having to bring someone else's costumes and forgetting them, thus making my whole team believe that I was trying to undermine their success-- not too much fun.

9. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Never had any nightmares related to costuming. Mine are all about missing the dance itself.

10. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

So, it's never happened to me, but I have had teammates end up in the following situations (All of them different people):
    1) Run to the bathroom after Latin, then walk out as they were calling his Smooth Waltz event to the floor. With no time to change, he went and danced his waltz in a half-unbuttoned shirt, his sleeves still rolled up, and Latin shoes. Another guy met him at the exit from the floor with a tie and Standard shoes to put on before the next dance.
    2) At MIT, see that his number was not listed on the screen, so his partner went to change. Then they call out "we're looking for couple [his number]". They couldn't get his partner to the floor before the music started.
    3) Assume that he had not been recalled, and so leave to cover the registration desk. Lo and behold, the next round comes, and his number gets called. His partner goes out on the floor and holds her hand up to indicate a missing partner. We managed to find him and get him out on the floor. Still wearing his Vibrams.

Not at a comp, but in practice, my partner and I had been practicing Viennese Waltz, took a water break, and then returned to the floor. We start dancing, but seem to be unable to get more than a couple bars before falling apart, even though before the break, we were getting through a round just fine. We decide that we should count out loud, and so I start "1,2,3 4,5,6" and she immediately goes "Wait, we're not doing tango?"

leee and stash like this.
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

That last one has happened to me so many times at practice... Lol

12. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Does your tango routine start with viennese cross?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  13. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Here's mine...being banned from a ballroom studio for being a good dancer. Yup, that happened.

14. Raquet

Raquet New Member

The first competition I did in proper ballroom dress and my partner in tails didn't go well. My partner's (borrowed) tailsuit had seen better days and was starting to fray around the buttons. My dress was covered in sequins. During our waltz, right in the middle of the floor, my partner blanked, completely forgot our routine and stopped dead.

He tried to recover it by turning into promenade to at least get out of the middle of the floor, but unfortunately we then realised that my sequined top had got trapped in his fraying buttons and we were literally locked together. So we just stood there for what seemed like eternity (but was probably only 10 seconds), and hobbled off the floor still unable to detach ourselves. We did not make the next round.

15. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

I have yet to have any ballroom nightmares but there's still lots of time :)

I have seen nightmares unfortunately... One of my friends was performing a salsa with a short dress on and her little shorts under her dress rode up so much you could see her whole bottom... I felt so bad for her

Another time a friends strapless bra came unsnapped and slipped down around her waist during a performance... Eep that was bad!!

That same friend was dropped from a lift during a different performance... Poor girl

16. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

Well, after all, there are some "dancers" that are paid quite well to do such things!

stash, Joe and letsdance101 like this.