Dancing Ranks

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dldbm, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dldbm

dldbm New Member

Is there a web-site that lists the current top dancers in each category? I'm interested in the names of the top International Standard Couple and International Latin (I think Yulia ? and her partner?). Thank you.

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF dldbm!

I am not aware of any single official website that lists top dancers in each category. Part of the problem is that there are different organizations associated with different sets of comps.

I know dancesportinfo.net maintains it's own rankings. But I would not call them "official" since it's based on their own calculations based on results from comps.

I'm sure you'll hear from our other members much more knowledgable than I on this subject....

3. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

Actually, dancesportinfo.net is the best rating (not ranking) list out there. The ranking lists (that I actually know about) are based on how many comps you do and how you place. The dancesportinfo rating is similar to that used in chess rating and it doesn't really rely on how many comps you do but, as I understand it, more on how you place against other couples and the size and importance of the competition, i.e. the competition rating.

This does bring up an interesting subject since it seems to me that a rating ranking list should only be based on how competitors do with respect to one another not what comp they dance at. However, I rely on the dancesportinfo list.

You can find out how dancesportinfo rates couples and comps at http://dancesportinfo.net/Desc_Rating.aspx#CoupleRating

4. reb

reb Active Member

Just in case . . . http://dancesportinfo.net/DisplayTopCouples.aspx gets you to the place where you can select:
    • Amateur or Pro
    • Latin, 10-Dance, Standard
    • Adult, Junior, Senior, youth, etc.
    • By country
    This particular page is worth checking out.

5. tunape

tunape New Member

There's also the IDSF world rankings.

6. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

7. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

Keep in mind that the IDSF rankings have a huge amount to do with how much you can afford to travel to as many IDSF comps as you can since the points are additive. The more comps you earn points at, the higher your ranking. Yes, you get more points at a comp if you place higher but it doesn't make sense to rank people by how MANY comps they do.

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Its a tough one - you need a function that does both. For example what if couple A wins one comp in their own country and couple B come second in 30 comps all over the world. With the current system couple B will rank higher but if the number of comps were not a factor couple A would. Its tough to decide which is more important.

Many people take the results at just a few top competitions, such as Blackpool, to determine the actual world ranking. That may be the best since the top couples have to compete there to establish status. Of course, that is basically how the danesportinfo system works as it 'weights' competitions according to the average ability of the competitors.

Personally I like the dancesportinfo method as it gives credit according to the level of competition. It also permits the evaluation fo competitions themselves by calculating a value that represents the field.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Do you want to take a page from the BCS? Strength of schedule? Coaches' poll? Computer rankings? :)

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

help us here Joe: BCS Ballet Company of Sweden? Bingo Community Scorcards? :p

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Bowl Championship Series. Google is your friend.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

squelches urge to say something political and unkind

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

teach him to fish, and he will spend all his time on a boat ;);)

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

... and program a fish game and he tosses his bain away.... :)

15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

16. dldbm

dldbm New Member

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your replies -- very helpful!