Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. lacubs

lacubs Member

Get ready for "your favorites from the past 14 seasons" to hit the Dancing With the Stars ballroom floor once more! ABC President Paul Lee just announced (while also talking about Happy Endings, Grey's Anatomy and Scandal—we'll get to that!) that Dancing With the Stars will have an all-star edition. But when? And who's in it? Lee just dropped scoop on ABC's just-announced new fall schedule, and here are the highlights you need to know: MORE: ABC Unveils Fall Schedule: Revenge and Happy Endings on the Move! • The DWTS all-star edition will air this fall and is casting now. "We can't talk about the casting yet but I would love to see fan favorites from past seasons come back," Lee says. "We have had many favorites. We're out casting now and I hope we come up with a really interesting cast our audience is passionate about." • Lee revealed that although a Hulk reboot couldn't come together in time for the 2012-13 TV season, the network is working on it for the 2013-14 season. ABC's parent company Disney owns the rights to Marvel, and Lee said they also have other Marvel shows in development, "but none that I can talk about at this point." • Revenge is moving to Sundays because, Lee feels, it's a perfect fit with Once Upon a Time. "Both shows have real cinematic ambitions," Lee suggests, while calling these two shows the biggest breakout hit dramas this season. In Revenge's old slot of Wednesdays at 10 p.m. is Nashville (starring Connie Britton and Hayden Panetierre) and Lee calls the move a "win-win for both Nashville and Revenge." Revenge will get a full 22 episode season and "you won't see as many repeats," Lee promises. • Grey's Anatomy is "still the No. 1 show on television," Lee insists, and sang big praises of Shonda's freshman series Scandal (holler!), saying what those of us who've been watching know: "Kerry Washington is brilliant in this one. The episodes are just getting better and better and better. If you haven't seen it please go watch on ABC.com." MORE: Spoiler Chat Daily: Scoop on Revenge, Gossip Girl, Glee and More! • Lee also mentioned that Happy Endings is "one of his favorite shows" with a "passionate, rabid fanbase," and that's he's excited about moving it to Tuesdays, after Dancing With the Stars as part of a new comedy block that is "edgy and incredibly inappropriate." • Lee gushed over the "brilliance" of many new series debuting this fall, and seemed particularly passionate about Nashville and Last Resort, the new drama from The Shield's Shawn Ryan starring Scott Speedman and Andre Braugher. And a final note for Marvel fans: The Hulk pilot was not picked up for fall, but the project continues to be in development and may be ready for the next development cycle, according to Lee.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hulk smash ArgentIne Tango performances!!!!!!

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Is there anything Disney do not own?
    With the exception of Gossip Girl, I've never seen any of the above shows.
    Spoil away.

4. davedove

davedove Active Member

If I Were Casting

If I were setting this up, I would have two stipulations: 1) Winners from the seasons would not be chosen to compete. However, if they wanted to do a “Battle of the Champions” one season, that would be fun. 2) Stars would be matched with the same pros as when they first competed.

That being said, here is who I would match with each pro:

Anna Trebunskaya
    I think the best matchup would be with Evan Lysacek (Season 10). They had some amazing performances. She also did well with Jerry Rice (Season 2) and he wouldn’t be a bad second choice.

Chelsie Hightower
    Chelsie hasn’t been in the finals yet, but probably her best partners were Romeo (Season 12) and Roshon Fegan (Season 14). Either would be a good choice.

Cheryl Burke
    Probably the best matchup would be Gilles Marini (Season 8 ). Giles was a very good dancer and looked really good doing it. Other possibilities are Cristián de la Fuente (Season 6), Ian Ziering (Season 4), even Rob Kardashian (Season 13). Of course, if William Levy Season 14) does not win, he would be another possibility.

Derek Hough
    From the non-winners, I would like to see Derek paired with Lil' Kim (Season 8 ). She really surprised me with her ability. Other possibilities are Jennie Garth (Season 5), Joanna Krupa (Season 9), Ricki Lake (Season 13), and Maria Menounos (Season 14).

Dmitry Chaplin
    Dmitry hasn’t had many partners, but of them his best was Mýa (Season 9).

Jonathan Roberts
    Jonathan had his best results with Marie Osmond (Season 5), but I would like to go all the way back and see him matched with Rachel Hunter (Season 1).

Karina Smirnoff
    Other than her one win, Karina’s best partner was Mario Lopez (Season 3), although they do have some history. Other than that, she did well with Mario (Season 6) and I liked Ralph Macchio (Season 12).

Kym Johnson
    I would like to see Kym with Joey Fatone (Season 4) again, although I wouldn’t mind seeing Warren Sapp (Season 7). Joey was most entertaining for me, but Warren really impressed me. If neither were available, David Arquette (Season 13) would be another great choice.

Lacey Schwimmer
    No contest, Kyle Massey (Season 11) is my top choice for Lacey. She also did well with Lance Bass (Season 7).

Louis Van Amstel
    For me, the best matchup would be Kelly Osbourne (Season 9). She was the perfect example of dancer improvement on this show. Other possibilities would be Lisa Rinna (Season 2) or Monique Coleman (Season 3).

Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    No question, my favorite partner of Maks was Mel B (Season 5). She was great dancer and had the personality to stand up to him. Other than that, Kirstie Alley (Season 12) would be fun to watch again.

Mark Ballas
    Probably most people’s favorite matchup for Mark would be Sabrina Bryan (Season 5) and I don’t disagree with that. Other choices would be Chelsea Kane (Season 12), Katherine Jenkins (Season 14) if she doesn’t win, or even Melissa Joan Hart (Season 9).

Peta Murgatroyd
    Peta is only on her second partner and I do NOT want to see Meta World Peace again. If Donald Driver (Season 14) does not win, I would like to see him again.

Tony Dovolani
    Probably the best matchup would be Melissa Rycroft (Season 8 ). Other than that, Stacy Keibler (Season 2) was a wonderful dancer and would be a good choice. If she were available, I wouldn’t mind seeing Sara Evans (Season 3) again. She had to withdraw the first time and I would like to see her go as far as she could.

Tristan MacManus
    Tristan has only had two partners and between the two I would rather see Gladys Knight (Season 14) again.

Valentin Chmerkovskiy
    Val has only had two partners of between them Sherri Shepherd (Season 14) was the most fun.

Others I wouldn’t mind seeing from pros who are not currently on the show:

Ashly Costa (DelGrosso) and Joey McIntyre (Season 1)

Charlotte Jørgensen and John O'Hurley (Season 1)

Damian Whitewood and Pamela Anderson (Season 10)

Edyta Śliwińska and Joey Lawrence (Season 3)

5. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I don't think I've watched *anything* on ABC for at least five years, aside from DWTS, and sporadically at that.

6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Of all past contestants who did not win, the one they really should call first would be Sabrina Bryan.
    If anyone wuz ever robbed on this show, it's her.

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I've been doing quite a bit of dreaming about an all-star season. So here goes:

1. I'd like to see very high quality dancing. Which is why I think some of the winners should be back, though davedove does present an excellent case. Some things are absolutely basic, and MUST be in the dances, such as heel leads and toe leads in the appropriate dances. Mario Lopez's Foxtrot had almost no heel leads, for example. NO-WAY.

2. I'd like to see Standard dancing, maybe once or twice, instead of Smooth that has been always on the show, save some Tangos and the Quickstep.

3. I'd like to see a simulation of real life ballroom competitions, with maybe the last four or five couples on the floor at the same time, dancing a Standard Waltz or VW. And a samba.

4. Proper music, please. Stop passing up Gloria Estefan for Lady Gaga, or Tito Puente for Chris Brown, or Frank Sinatra for the Black Eyed Peas. I do realise this is American TV, but still...let's have violins in the Tangos, shall we?

I wanted to say no tricks, but...

8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Brandy?

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'd say Evan or Kyle were screwed far worse than Brandy, and even arguably Sabrina, as they both should have won.

Also, things Disney Does Not Own: NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, the CW (who's WANT it?) Comcast, Viacom, BBC, Paramount, Sony, Warner Brothers, Showtime, HBO....let's not exaggerate here. The only network show I watch other than DWTS is NCIS. It's entirely possible to avoid all network television as there's nothing on it anyway, while still watching television.

10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I'm not in favor of excluding previous champions. I just want to see the best dancers regardless of whether they won previously or not.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This. Bring it.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Plus one

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

You do realize that none of this will come to pass, right?
    A bandoneon would be nice, though.

Evan wasn't 'screwed', they basically just flipped a coin between two different but equal dancers. He called heads and it came up tails.
    And he won't be back, at least not if he wants to have any chance whatsoever at a medal in Sochi.
    Sabrina was the best dancer of her season by lightyears, but apparently lacked the votes.
    You might make a similar case for Roshon this season.
    Melissa Rycroft should also come back, she might have had a legitimate shot had she been an actual celebrity - like an actress or something - not just a former cheerleader recycled from a 'reality' show.
    Apolo, Brooke and Kristi dominated their seasons - legitimately so - to such an extent that I don't hardly even remember who else was on them.
    I'm sure Joey Fatone wants to come back so bad it hurts, but....I'd much rather he didn't.

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

While I can understand the appeal of focusing on giving people second chances, this is the approach I'd prefer as well. While there are non-winners I would love to see back and shouldn't be excluded as they could contend, I'm all for the all-star season being about the best-of-the-best (that the show could get back).

15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This is my view as well. I don't think you could really call it an all-star season if you just on principle exclude any previous champions. Then you'd have to call it the "close-but-no-cigar" season, which it may turn out to be anyway if they can't get any prior champs back anyway. But I'll still be really excited to see it no matter.

16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

OT: Let's not kid ourselves. I suspect Evan will have the grace and good sense to bow out before then. (Sadly, I suspect Plushenko's going to grind his knees to powder refusing to do the same.) The gold already has Patrick Chan's name on it unless he doesn't get a visa for Russia. I doubt very much Evan would go when it's clear first is completely out of anyone's reach unless Chan utterly implodes. USFS has any sense, they'll do Nationals to send someone with a name and (assuming there are three slots) a couple young guns. My bias is for Ross Miner as he has a ton of showmanship when he was fifteen, but there are lots of US men who could go.

And I completely disagree on bringing back people who've already won, unless that's the ONLY people you bring back. For starters...they won. What's the point? Mixing them in with the "most entertaining" will just result in, once again, unlikeable people but "good" dancers pounding on likeable people who aren't as gifted/young/blatant judge favorites.

If they do an all-first-place season (assuming that's feasible) you not only eliminate most of the really popular ones (Kirstie, Mel B, Kyle, etc) but you run into the bottleneck problem-some would HAVE to go to different pros because they aren't set up to have one pro with two or three dancers.

Actually that might be the best--prior winners, but they're not ALLOWED to dance with their old partner. That would force them to see if it was actually them at all, or just the pro. How long would Nicole have lasted with Maks? What if Jennifer Grey had the more age-appropriate Tony?

17. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Meh...

I think the point would be to see if you can repeat your feat by winning again. And as far as it being the crowd favorites against the less entertaining but "better" dancers, that would happen whether previous champions were included or not. I certainly liked some of the winners better than others, and I liked some 2nd place finishers better than the winners, etc. Exluding past mirror ball winners won't alleviate that problem. I do think it would be interesting though to see if the celebs would be able to dance as well with a different pro.

I guess I have just always competed under the premise that you are only the best if you compete against the best and beat them. If the previous champs don't want to come back and defend their title as "master of the DWTS universe", fine. They surrender to the new master then. Otherwise, if I were a possible contestant and they approached me with "well you weren't good enough to win your own season, but we've weeded out all the people who were likely better than you so now maybe you will have a good chance to win if you come back"! I would say "no thanks".

But that's probably just me.

18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I don't particularly expect it to happen, but I'd be pretty strongly in favor of their mixing up the dancer/pro pairings regardless of whether or not they allow prior winners onto the season.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Totally agree, Jude. :-D

20. davedove

davedove Active Member

Of course, everything we mention here will have absolutely zero significance to the producers. Their one and only concern will be what brings the highest ratings.:p