Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I like Kelly's dancing. Why don't you like Kelly's dancing DOI? What am I not seeing, because I would place her in the top 4.
  2. kckc

kckc Active Member

Actually, I'm going to have to eat crow on this one. I hated her in the first season also. Her attitude sucked and she just wasn't much of a dancer from what I could tell. She is light years better this time and I have no idea how she got so much better, unless she did have some lessons of some sort in between. I have definitely enjoyed she and Val together.
  3. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Kelly is very very hit or miss for me. Some weeks I love her dancing, like the contemporary dance she just did. I thought she did fine, it looked good to me, as good as anyone else would have done contemporary IMO. Other weeks, I'm ready for her to go home.

I've said from the start that I have no problems with Bristol and that my opinion of her is based strictly on her dancing. Having said that, I am sooo happy she went home. It seemed like she's finally been put out of her misery. It never appeared as though she was enjoying herself, and her dancing was so far behind everyone else save Kirstie. I'm glad she's gone.

If pigs fly AND there is any justice in the world (at least the dance world), Kirstie will go next.
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, I am surprised with KIrstie. I thought she did well the first season she was on, but not quite as good this season. Of course all of her competitors are significantly younger....there is a reason we have age categories in proam!
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My issues with her were more about the attitude she brought to the competition than her dancing. I mean, her dancing wasn't great, and I would have hated seeing her outlast someone like Apolo. In general though, I'm not inclined to worry too much about order of the first set of contestants as none of the dancing is especially good. But she frequently seemed so dour and put upon, which made her difficult to watch.

On an unrelated note, what on earth was up with Gilles' picks for the team dance? I guess it was mostly about making Peta happy, because it certainly didn't seem to be about picking the best dancers.
  6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I can't remember who he picked....
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

He went with Kelly and Val, Kirstie and Maks and Emmitt and Cheryl. Noteably, Kirstie was his second selection, meaning she went before both Melissa and Apolo.
  8. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I agree. I thought his choices were odd too.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't find Kelly at all...authoritative isn't the right word, but her arms and feet are just vague and she sort of hits a position but then blurs right on through it. Like her first dance (cha cha) she was just flapping. I don't think her elbows every really straightened. The Contemporary, yes, I was probably going to hate no matter who did it (hair-flipping and floor rolling will never be art to me) but I was more than just turned off by the style--again, she's just not finishing things, and they're definitely doing their best to make the routines all about Val (ideally Shirtless!Val, to which I don't object in GENERAL, but still.) I'd rather see someone who's a mediocre dancer aim for hitting positions correctly than trying to be artistic. Similar difference between Sabrina and Shawn--Sabrina's not bad, but I don't know if it's nerves or adrenaline but she's trying so hard she flings herself through things (though I still put her over Kelly because she's got better feet now. I wouldn't expect her NOT too having Louis to teach her, but still.) Shawn's got the technical control to push past just getting things right and make it BIG. I actually like her better with Derek than I did when she was with Mark--yeah, Derek gets handed a cakewalk of a season again, but this girl can REALLY come close to keeping up with him and selling his showcases.

And over on FSU we've gone off on a tangent on her on why the whole "he broke down all my walls" stuff and the groping is just...ew. It's like bad soap plot with bad soap acting. Someone said "My sweet little old grandmother called me to ask if Kelly and Val are sleeping together." It's...yeah, no. They need to stop. Creepy.

I'm not really seeing where Gilles was going. Though I get picking Cheryl (despite that being a little awkward with the "I want to dance with her again so much" thing right in front of Peta), I would have grabbed Melissa and Sabrina, or Melissa and Apolo. Unless Gilles is VASTLY more evil than I think, and he deliberately went for dancers beside whom he'd look better. Though that would seem horribly risky, as the scoring might be for the group and as such could bite him in the butt.
  10. kckc

kckc Active Member

11. Griffico

Griffico Member

I'm glad that week's over, for more than one reason. I thought Bristol was doing an OK job for a previous season, but not for all stars. Additionally, Mark looked like he was faking his friendship with her sooo hard...

It sounds like next week's team dance is a freestyle? I'm kind of bummed out about that.

I was amused with Derek's reaction to getting "Call Me Maybe" as a song, though I'm not looking forward to seeing the dance necessarily. It's never good when the choreographer isn't into the music. Why give out one song that is clearly still relevant, and one that is "so last summer?" I would've tried to get "Some Nights" in addition to "Gangnam Style," if that's what they were going for.
  12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I thought maybe Gilles chose Kirstie because he thought she'd be eliminated anyway? Not sure. That whole team-picking thing was screwy. Just pick names out of a hat and be done with it, like Project Runway :p
  13. danceronice

Hee, that was basically what they've done before...and I'm SURE that was just as random and completely fair as PR's infamous button bag (Tim Gunn has as much as admitted the "random" button bag draws are rigged.)
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

it is for the group and it will!!!
  15. danceronice

Over on FSU someone linked an article from People today--apparently Melissa fell during rehearsal and was taken to the hospital to be examined for head and neck injuries. :S
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yes but she has been cleared to dance
  17. danceronice

I wish this and Kym slamming down on her neck a couple seasons back would make them reconsider all the lifts and cutesy stunts. Head and neck injuries are no joke and even if you FEEL fine initially sometimes you're not. Even Shawn ought to consider, this isn't a tumbling mat if you fall on it and accidents happen even when you're good.
  18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

After Kym's injury she was choreographing and she said she just wasn't going to do moves that would put her head below the rest of her body. I think they ought to consider that.
  19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, then they would actually have to do more than a few steps, etc from the dances they're supposed to be doing!
  20. danceronice

That would certainly make Kelly's "samba" and Gilles's rumba a lot shorter....No more samba on this show, that's it, really, if I want to see samba badly done I can watch myself in the studio mirror.
    debmc likes this.