Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. frotes

frotes Member

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I did not remember that they used to have a pro demonstrations first... wow, that would be great if they would bring that back!

3. kckc

kckc Active Member

doh! It never ocurred to me to provide a link. Thanks!

It would be great to bring it back, at least for the less familiar dances that they insist on throwing in there like bolero or lindy.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

bolero should not be less familiar to any pro

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I understand where you are coming from, but don't feel like that is entirely a fair statement if by "familiar" you mean working mechanical knowledge. Many of the pros on DWTS, for instance, were not trained in the U.S. and were accomplished enough to be teaching what they knew vs. needing to adopt a cater-to-all approach. (That said, if they've judged it and still aren't familiar with it characteristically, shame on them!)

6. Mr 4 styles

concur be aware of the dance character and at least a few basics and about judging...they have!!!

7. kckc

kckc Active Member

I actually meant dances less familiar to the viewing audience.

8. Mr 4 styles

ooohhhhh my bad:oops:

9. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

But in these early seasons, the pros were much closer to classic competition choreography than American TV show choreography. If you watch Mario Lopez and Karina's first cha cha, you see how far the show has come. I should say that this was 2006, the same year Karina had been a Blackpool finalist.

They both wore plain black outfits...no sugar and spice added. They wouldn't have looked odd at all on a real Latin dance competition. We can't say the same of the outfits today.

The music wasn't one of those numbers you could ride on, like Apolo's LMFAO cha cha. The song was about 9 years old at the time.

The choreography was GREAT. It was pure cha cha. I saw lock steps (a lot), time steps, guapacha, foot changes, overturns, cuban breaks, new yorkers, ronde chasses. It's hard to see choreoraphy like that nowadays...I'm not implying that the celebrities can't handle it, but things have changed.

10. Mr 4 styles

it has become a tad too showdancy imo

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

12. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

13. Mr 4 styles

i wonder how they dance to half the songs on that show sometimes!!

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

That would be Shania Twain's "Man, I feel like a woman"?
    I'd post a link to the video, but....
    Anyhow, I can fit a pretty slow cha cha into the basic beat, so I'm sure Gilles will come up with something. (although I'd probably do a West Coast if I had to pick SOMETHING to dance to it.)

ajiboyet likes this.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Cha Cha is not what I'd pick for "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", either. (I would do east coast to "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" myself.)

ajiboyet likes this.
  16. Griffico

Griffico Member

So... that didn't go as badly as I thought. Short and sweet:

Loved Derek and Shawn. I really love how Derek handles quirky challenges.
    Surprised by Maks and Kirstie (in a good way). Not sure how I feel about them getting extra credit for the group dance though.
    Liked Gilles and Peta, his costume was distracting though.
    Liked Sabrina's rumba, but not sold on the emotion. Seemed too heavy?
    Melissa and Kelly did well, but aren't standing out enough for me still
    Like Apolo and Karina but... 10s????
    Emmitt didn't show anything noteworthy IMO. He's my pick to go home.

I can't decide if I'm dreading or really looking forward to next week's fusion dances. Could be really funny, could be really ugly. I'm sure Derek will come up with something good at least. I think once you've successfully choreographed a 1950's beach paso, you're good to go with almost anything.

17. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

The fact that Thursday night is the CMA's (on ABC) explains the country week theme over Halloween I guess.

I thought Apolo, Sabrina, and Kirstie (much to my surprise) were really good last night. Emmitt was really bad and either him or Kelly should go home IMO.

18. Mr 4 styles

It should be emmitt or kirstie Kelly was good last night im concerned that her fan base is too small

19. Mr 4 styles

sabrina should not have had a thirty she didnt show variations in speed at all back to her fast and fierce mode again gets boring for me

apolo was amazing as was mellissa country songs for VW work great especially if your throwing in american figures

20. Griffico

Griffico Member

I think the pros are specifically told to do their Viennese Waltzes, Waltzes and Foxtrots as "American" Style, while Tango and Quickstep are "International." Obviously liberties get taken regardless of which style they're supposed to be doing...