Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. Cal

Cal Active Member

One thing I didn't understand about Melissa and Tony's dance: I've always associated "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" with the Army, so why were they wearing Navy-inspired costumes?
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

...You're asking for logic from the DWTS costuming department? Besides, pretty much everyone else in a military-inspired costume looked more or less Army, maybe they figured they could throw Navy a bone and hope the Marines counted it for them, too. (Air Force is apparently chopped liver.)
  3. I am sooo disappointed now that Gilles went home! Nothing against Emmit, but this is the second time he does it to my favorite. He took the trophy from Mario Lopez and now Gilles is going home instead of him :(
    slhull.13 likes this.
  4. Griffico

Griffico Member

Oh good, I wasn't imagining things. I'm not sure I've seen an outfit so low on somebody quite like that on (family-friendly) TV.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i think there was one outfit in blue
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Val's underwear :eek:
  7. danceronice

I could really, really live with Kelly and Val going home tomorrow. I get they might be trying to save on the costuming budget, but....
  8. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

yep, I was totally thrown off by the splashing in the kiddie pool dance
  9. Griffico

Griffico Member

Well that was a train wreck of a first hour, and a so-so second hour... I actually liked Kelly and Val. I thought they took the "combination" dance theme, and gave it about as much respect as it deserved. By the time they came around, I was actually happy to see somebody tell the producers to more or less go pack sand through dance. It was almost like, "You want me to put a silly theme to a dance style I don't actually know? I'll show you what silly really is." I also really liked their rumba as a legit dance, FWIW.

Other notes:
    -Thought Tony and Melissa got screwed with themes and songs this week
    -Apolo and Karina.... trying too hard and getting worse?
    -Derek and Shawn - thought they were underscored on the second dance. Shawn had a blank look on her face at times, but I didn't think it was that bad.
    -Emmitt and Cheryl - Straight up outclassed at this point, unfortunately. He still looks like he's stuck in an old season to me.
    -I am straight up scared of watching what they'll have to do in the finale.

[​IMG]
  10. Mr 4 styles

lmao griffico good call a waterskiing tango!!!

derek and shawn would throw in a triple twist though and stick the landing
  11. Griffico

Griffico Member

I was going another direction with that, but you may be on to something. At this rate, they will replace the dance floor with water and a motor boat with tow rope. And a shark. If you're gonna jump the shark, why not do it by paying homage to the Fonz himself?
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It could even be a cgi shark, like that dinosaur last night. Which was totally a case of, "wow, show. Just ... wow."
    danceronice likes this.
  13. danceronice

Seriously, it was...what? I mean, what? (Not only a CGI dinosaur, but a BAD one.)

I really don't get the love for Kelly and Val's rumba, because I very deliberately did NOT look at him, just her (I know HE can dance it) and I just keep seeing...well, all the little things I do. The oh, crap, foot needs to be farther out quick fix it, leg needs to be straighter, movements aren't bad per se but need to be more-bigger-stronger. It was all right. But no wow factor. I get why they use the bedsheet dresses, though, it really hides the lack of body action on the celeb girls.

I understand where they went with Derek and Shawn's scores. It was GOOD, but given what they seem to like rewarding it was a little...okay, that was nice, so what? THough maybe they were just tired from the Indian dance, which was awesome, and they rightly did their best to kind of ignore the "Knight Rider" aspect because what the heck WERE they supposed to do with it?

Tony and Melissa got screwed. I used up all my votes on them because I swear sometimes I think the producers are out to get them and really, of everyone left, JUST GIVE TONY A MIRROR BALL ALREADY. (Cowboys voters, please, stop voting for Emmitt and give the ex-DCC some love.)

Apolo and Karina....uh....my comments on FSU, where we kind of live-blog it, were "Did he raid Mark's closet for that outfit?' before the dance and after, "Bob Fosse called. He says WTF?" They just...weren't on. Not even the slips, just something kind of eh.

Okay, I have to admit, I liked the "espionage Lindy" with Emmitt and Cheryl, probably because he was moving and having fun with it. But I cannot even remember their second dance.
  14. JudeMorrigan

I'm definitely rooting for Melissa and Tony at this point. I fully expect Derek and Shawn to win and won't be upset if it happens. But Melissa and Tony just seem like such gosh darned nice people. And goodness knows that Tony has put his time in on this show. Maybe those shouldn't factor in quite as much as they do, but Melissa dancing is nice enough by the standards of the show and meh, it is just a reality show.
  15. Mr 4 styles

eeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy im with ya!!!

agree Jude Btw though shawn has earned it
  16. Mr 4 styles

only in the sense that all the argentine tangos on this show stink

and the hustle was bad too even the basic was performed incorrectly!!

i love melissa but have her coming up short again
  17. JudeMorrigan

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Strictly in terms of the dancing, I'd have a hard time not giving Shawn the win. But Melissa's winning wouldn't be the travesty from the dancing standpoint that, say, Emmitt's would. (Although I actually agree with you that I didn't much care for her dances last night.)
  18. Mr 4 styles

concur

apolos rumba was very good last night thoug i had to watch it 4 times to finally take my eyes off Karina <3
  19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Toni Redpath's review of this week:

20. Griffico

Griffico Member

Totally agree... Few DWTS performances have moved me quite like Val and Kelly's did at the end, and I don't think it's just because of Val. I thought the energy in her movement was palpable, and I'll take imperfect technique with lots of well-placed raw emotion over the reverse any day.

Caveats about how well the music goes with the dance for each performer apply, as per all-too-usual.