Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

In at least a couple cases, if they get back, say, all Derek's winners, someone will HAVE to go with another pro. That or he'd have to split his time, which would be possible (real pro-am pros do it all the time) but that would put him and his celebs at a major disadvantage.

If you want a 'best' of the best thing, then it really would be fair only to have, at most, prior finalists. Otherwise, it's not showing you can beat the best to stay the best, it's just showing you can pound on people you already beat once before (or who lost badly to someone else.) Not to mention that some of it's not about ability--I doubt anyone's gotten MORE popular than when they couldn't get votes last time. So it's not so much "I'm still working hard to stay on top," it's "I'm still more gifted and popular with a more popular pro than you." Forcing them to change partners even in cases where scheduling wouldn't require it and not picking returnees who got badly trounced last time (we don't need to see Buzz, Cloris, Master P, etc. again, or even Kenny-besides, let's leave him on Dance Center!) would go farther to making it a 'best of the best' rather than 'anyone we could get.'

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

danceronice - I guess it depends on how realistic Evan is himself. They probably shouldn't send Jeremy Abbott, he seems to have a tendency to self-destruct at inopportune times.
    Plushenko is going to need some VERY friendly 1970's style home field advantage type judging. He'll be how old when Sochi hits? 40? In the world of figure skating - even in the much less competitive men's category - that qualifies him for the title of 'fossilized remains'. If he wants to get into a quad jumping contest with 18-year-olds....good luck widdat.....

Not sure how much 'age appropriate' has ever figured into the pairings or how much it has to do with anything, but I'm willing to bet Tony's watching this season thinking: 'Man, if they'd given me Katherine Jenkins, this thing would be in da bag!'
    While sticking needles into his Melissa Rycroft Voodoo doll, praying to the TV dancing gods to send him another one just like her.
    Nicole might have won with Maks also, he isn't the choreographer Derek is, but he's got a substantial female following (tall), and I got the impression the judges fell head over heels in love with her - understandably so.
    Kristi could win by herself. Or with me. Or her cat. Goldfish. You get the idea.
    Add me to the list of people opposed to calling former winners back.
    No Cloris Leachmans or Steve Wosniaks , either.
    Please.

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Speaking as a 6'2" (and not "6'2'") guy, I have to say that empirical evidence suggests it isn't simply his height that makes women swoon over him. Alas.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Plushenko will be...36? 38? Something along those lines. But he seems sucidally determined to try. It's not like Russia has a deep men's field to chose from. And he's nuts. I really don't see him PHYSICALLY holding together that long. And you think he threw a temper tantrum last time with silver, can you see him off the podium entirely?

And if I had a dollar for every time I've said that Abbott peaks at Nationls, implodes at Worlds, I could at LEAST buy a ticket to Sochi....I don't even get the appeal, I know he's got some major fans but I just don't see it. (But I didn't like Weir especially, either, so clearly, what do I know?)

I suppose Evan at least has roughly the same chance of making Sochi as Shawn has of making London....if they both sign on for All-Stars we'll know! (I'd be happy to see both of them come back. If she does, at least, Mark will have a legitimate excuse for the backflips...)

5. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

OT: I hear Johnny Weir is competing again too. For purely selfish reasons, I hope he and Evan both compete at Sochi since I enjoy watching them both skate. I don't watch much figure skating anymore (strange since the first 18 years of my life were devoted to it), but I am a total Olympics addict.

WRT ballroom dancing, I would love to see Evan back on the floor, with any partner. I enjoyed watching him learn to dance and thought he was good. I always wanted Johnny Weir to make it on the show too since I think he would be great to watch as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Gray, or Melissa Rycroft back either. I know sometimes people get upset at "ringers" (perhaps I have made a comment about it too at some point? Don't remember but I don't want to come across as a hypocrite, so if I said something, I will own it...). In retrospect, I have to admit, their dancing talents/experience made the show totally fun to watch. I love a good "look at how much he/she has improved" story as much as the next person, but it is exciting seeing someone with a real talent.

And I know, I know, maybe having former winners could be unfair. But I liked watching Jennifer and Nicole.... so I would happily watch them back on the show. *selfish reasons*

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Bring on the ringers !

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

If Plushy goes, we'll send Dick Button. Put Alyssa Cisny on the plane and he'll follow, like a puppy after a bacon strip.
    I've always liked Johnny Weir as a skater (artistic, etc.), but cringe every time he comes out dressed up as the Fairy Queen. Which is about 1/2 the time. I still shudder thinking of Rudy Galindo's orange net outfit on Latin on Ice or whatever that show was called.......
    (insert puking Smiley here)

JudeMorrigan - Unlucky you must be living in some sort of Black Hole where tall guys do not get the love they get everywhere else. Either that, or all the other guys are 6'5......

Would definitely like to see Ty Murray back, imo, he continues to hold at no.1 as the Most Improved celeb ever on DwtS - something Len used to stress in seasons past.
    Speaking of whom, I would like to see the old Len back. The Len who scores them (more) accurately than the 2 monkeys flanking him, the Len who tells them (and the audience) what the dance is supposed to be like (like, for real, not BS like 'Tango is War'), the Len who actually does watch for techinque (heel leads, etc.), and so on.
    Pamela Anderson. Duh.
    Li'l Kim was pretty good, too, and did get a little bit of a rough deal, since she was on what really was the most competitive season so far.

8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Like I said, I was dreaming.

9. ajiboyet

LOL. Or with a sack of potatoes.

10. Griffico

Griffico Member

I'd almost pay money to see Brooke Burke dance and then try to interview herself.

"I know it can be hard learning two dances in a week, but do you think it was easier the second time around?"
    "Well as you know, I've kept a pretty tight exercise routine ever since I stopped dancing and started hosting. I think that helped a lot."
    :: Derek makes funny face::

On a related note:
    Can we bring Samantha Harris back as a dancer?
    http://youtu.be/JfCmw7TDPz0

11. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Doesn't "All-stars" mean All Stars? As in all the performers being stars, no pros?

Now that would be interesting. To see if the stars could really dance with each other instead of performing some choreography in the proximity of a pro. I might actually watch that.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

If they're going to allow former winners to come back, then I would like to see Drew Lachey (season 2 winner) with Cheryl Burke. Their paso doble routine to "Thriller" and freestyle routine to "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" are among my all time favorites.

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Brooke can do whatever she wants, as far as I'm concerned......:D

Snapdancer - Good catch!
    How about having Meryl Davis & Charley White on as a couple, perhaps with a pro 'mentoring' them.
    I'd say they could win easily.

14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

hmmm, a cast full of first-round elimination victims would be interesting... Some deserved it, but many did not.

15. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Somehow, I don't think the folks at Disney are thinking: "Let's put together a bunch of people who had no fan support." More likely, if they are still under contract, we're likely to get a whole bunch of Disney Network brats.

The truly embarrassing thing for the show will be how obvious it is that none of the stars pursued dancing after their season was over. On top of that, the whole point of the show is to inject some oomph into a star's career. If it worked the first time, then there's no need to go on the show again. If it didn't work, then why go on a second time? I think the whole idea shows that the show is about on its last legs. (Actually, I've thought that pretty much since the beginning of the season, given how totally out of whack the scoring has been. Next season, the paddles are going to have to go to 15.)

16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I guess viewer numbers (= advertiser dollars) would decide how popular the show still is. Their 'cousin', The Bachelor, has apparently been losing viewers for several seasons now, and I don't think it's too much of a leap to assume that a large chunk of their audience is in roughly the same demographics.

17. ajiboyet

Why not find people with the highest score averages?

18. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

LOL. In the dancing world, you have a lot going for you being 6'2". As a 5'8" girl, you'd be at the top of my dancing wish list :)

19. Griffico

Griffico Member

I really think the selection will, unfortunately, come to:

1) Who's available?
    2) Of those, how many were either in the top 2 (or Brandy or Sabrina Bryan) and actually enjoyed it?
    3) Who's left that might make for a good gimmick?

Beyond

20. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This is how I see it going as well. But, I'll still watch regardless :)