Dancing With the Stars All-Star Edition Coming Next Season to ABC!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, May 15, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Eh, I hope it's Kelly. She really doesn't have much going for her besides being tiny with big...well. I didn't see much in the way of precision, and her arms were kind of vague--yes, Bristol's clearly-overthinking "place the arm" is not great, but I'll take that over kind of flapping back with bent elbows on New Yorkers.

I was pleasantly surprised by Sabrina (I think Louis's going to do great things with her), and I am firmly converted to Team Gilles. Smokin' AND talented!

I didn't like Shawn and Derek's foxtrot, but that wasn't their fault, they were handed a TERRIBLE piece of music.

Disappointed with Drew, Apolo, and Kirstie especially, but hopefully that's just getting back into the swing of it. (Apolo wasn't bad, he just didn't have the old 'wow' factor.)

Pam was like the answer to 'one of these things is not like the other.' The only one who just did not look like she ought to be there at all. (I mean, seriously, was she high? Just NOT mentally there in the least.) Much as I like Tristan, she needed to be the first to go. Everyone else was at least comfortable and some were better (Bristol's clearly improved, Gilles might even be better than before, Sabrina might have had an adrenaline high but she also didn't look like it had been years.) Pam looked lost.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Gilles was fabulous in closed hold. Shawn and Derek's music was the worst thing since Boom Boom Pow. Sabrina was stunning, but I think a little 2-3-4-and-1 wouldn't have been bad somewhere in the routine, Louis.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think Shawn and Derek's music is in the running for worst music choice EVER on DWTS.
    mindputtee and ajiboyet like this.
  4. Griffico

Griffico Member

As much as that music choice was pretty bad, I'm pretty sure Louis Van Amstel's Yankee Doodle Dandy Foxtrot has that title wrapped up for a lonnng time.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Party Rock Anthem as a cha was pretty bad too
  6. ajiboyet

I didn't think it was bad. It was American TV cha cha.
  7. Mr 4 styles

yea but according to Len its supposed to be Intl Latin cha also the song is just lousy IMO
  8. ajiboyet

What I mean is that the music was American TV cha cha. The dance of course is Latin cha cha. The music is used to draw people in who wouldn't watch the show otherwise.

And, I thought Kelly was SA-MOKIN!
  9. Mr 4 styles

hence my lousy comment

yesssssssssss she wassssssssssssss;)
  10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Reminds me of how Anna told off Len about Blondie for a Tango back in the day... and then wasn't back the next season! We all know that the music is all to often beyond absurd, and inevitably the pros on the show feel the frustration more than we do, but it seems like they really have to stay in line regarding the musical selections. :confused:
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Is it just me or have there been some really terrible costuming choices already?
  12. ajiboyet

I loved Gilles & Peta. Hated, absolutely hated Derek and Shawn. If I had seen a picture of them and was told to pick either foxtrot or cha cha, I definitely would have picked cha cha. And I'm sure millions of others would have to.

Apolo and Karina didn't seem to please a lot of people. I liked it. I didn't like Drew...weird. I didn't like Melissa either...I think she's better much more classy.

P.S. All the above comments are about the costumes, not the dancing (and definitely not the people).
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I also thought Gilles and Peta's was great.

I did not like Derek and Shawn's costume one bit. And Joey and Kym... I just don't think blondes belong in nude catsuits with gold bugle beads. It just looks like they have ridiculous body hair. I liked Apolo and Karina's actually, I thought it was cute and fit their dancing. Drew and Anna it seemed like just a little too much going on.
  14. ajiboyet

I thought Emmitt and Cheryl were good.
  15. Mr 4 styles

agree but i liked karina and apolo, giles and peta ,kelly and val more
  16. davedove

davedove Active Member

I find that after last night I am really liking Giles. The man can dance, no matter how much he may deny it.
  17. Griffico

Griffico Member

Without reading much above me first:

Loved Sabrina, liked Apolo and Drew. Conflicted about many of the rest. A number of the pros just seem like they're still not comfortable with what their partners can do, and that sets off red flags for me.

Bristol and Kirstie just don't have any leg speed, and the emotion is lacking to various degrees in both cases. Not a good set of dances for them. Joey and Kelly seemed iffy too.

I found the music REALLY distracting in a number of cases.

Very nervous about how the judges' directions to the couples at the end of the show will be interpreted. I kind of expect the "you still have to capture the flavor of the dance" instructions to fall to the wayside in a number of places.
  18. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I loved Apolo and Sabrina last night! One of my usual favs, Emmitt, was not so good IMO. Gilles was decent but not my favorite dance from him. Shawn looked pretty good as well. The rest were very forgettable and a couple were down right ugly.

I have decided after watching ump-teen seasons of this show and comparing them to the all-star season (which wasn't much better), I really dislike almost every jive. I find I enjoy bronze level syllabus pro-am jive much better than 99% of the jives they've ever done on DWTS. I guess because 99% of the time they just look so darn awkward.
  19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, if the couples are given music and have to just shut up and dance, how is it that Bristol was able to use Gretchen Wilson's "Red Neck Woman?"

(And I seem to like her a lot more now that Sarah's profile has become much lower.)
    (Oh, and I've had more exciting dances to that song at the country western place than their "quick step." Just sayin' And BTW, most red necks aren't "cowboys," but then would a ballroom pro know that?)
  20. Griffico

Griffico Member

Agree one hundred bazillion percent.